Retired Servicemens Recognition Card

Discussion in 'Jobs (Discussion)' started by Good CO, Jan 27, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Just added a link to the site for
    Seems to be a sort of ID card and a continuation of the forces discount schemes for ex servicemen, but you have to pay 25 quid then 10 quid a year. I'd be interested in any feedback.
  2. Good CO,

Good post on a subject that raises its head in many circles.

So to be devils advocate - why pay £25 to get the card and £10 per year to keep it? How much does it cost to join the RBL?
    Surely the RBL is the organsiation for all Ex Service personnel? (It is better known anyway)
    Perhaps the RBL should provide this service and be recognised as the true Ex service persons organsiation?
    I'm sure that all the Companies offering discounts etc on this website will equally offer the same discounts to someone producing an RBL card?
    Who is/are the British Veterans Organsiation? Profit or non profit org?

My vote is with the RBL...
  3. Why can't the MOD just give us a retirees card if it gets discount. That would be free and certainly clear up who is and isn't entitled. Other armys do it and look after retired service men and women. The army even takes the watch of you when you retire!
  4. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

These discounts are widely available and almost any group can access them. Many similar ones are in the Forces Discount Brochure and can be had by veterans as well as serving personnel.

I get similar deals as a member of the Countryside Alliance, and get to irritate soap-dodgers into the bargain!
  5. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

According to Companies House:

Date of Incorporation : 20/05/2003

New company, no accounts submitted, but clearly it's not a charity.
  6. In my experience, these 'discounts' aren't really up to much.

As an example, a few years ago, a mate of mine had hired a car through Hertz - he phoned up and asked for his forces discount and was told that he'd have to show his ID card when he collected the car. He paid his money (can't remember how much).

As it happened I needed to hire a car at the same time and was a little pissed off as I hadn't had the foresight to Pre-Book and claim the discount. I turned up at Hertz - asked for a deal and got the same class of car at a better price.

Now, Where's the logic in that.

I'm a great believer in 'if you don't ask, you don't get'

Always ask for a discount.

7. There is a company doing something fo rthe Police federations.

They call it the Police Platinum Card... business pay upto £1000 to feature in a mag giving discount to coppers and in return they get a discount card similar to that.

It sells very well and advertisers write checks to PPC (Police Platinum card.... Wrong... Its Plum Publications Co... who earned £2m last year.. great scam, only one winner
  8. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

Because other armies, MODs and governments actually give a sh1t about their troops, both while serving and when they leave......
  9. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

As an veteran- I would like the same as the Yanks get:

1. Keep your ID card, handy for using the gym.
    2. Access to Camp Messes
    3. Free Medical and Dental treatment.

We dont ask for much.
  10. Yes its amazing really. The Yanks really do seem to care about their servicemen and veterans and give their retired soldiers a fantastic range of packages. Tommy Atkins on the other hand is universally applauded by our politicians ('cos he seems to do everything he is asked to do with less and less resources) and yet once he leaves the system hardly wants to know him.
  11. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

Solution: Simply lose your ID card two weeks before getting out, thus ensuring that you can use a chit in leau for the final two weeks and when de-kitting hand this in - thus allowing you to get out before the CO's fine tracks you down.

And then you can continue to use it at civvie locations for discounts.

Also, whilst the yanks get excellent pay and conditions back home they don't half get shite operations lasting 12 months or longer with no beer...
  12. Sorry to be a party pooper, but have a read of the back of your MOD F 90.

This is an official document.

The unauthorised possession, use, retention, alteration, destruction or transfer to another person is an offence.

...... and a bit more blurb

An offence against what is unclear (ie civil or military law) but I'm sure someone with more legal experience than me shall enlighten us.
  13. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

If an ID card was retained after someone had left, and then used to get a discount, the holder could be charged with obtaining a pecuniary advantage by deception. It's also an offence to impersonate a member of the Armed Forces, though I'm not sure many people have been charged with this - the TA QAs certainly seem to get away with it!
  14. Purple_Flash

Purple_Flash War Hero Moderator

It should be no trouble if the will was there to issue a card. Make it the same as a MOD 90, but with an R for Retd. in front of the P number and stamped with a big R so that it cannot be used to get past the guard without your status being noted in case of an increased threat state, after all there are security implications.

Obviously, it should only be given to those who have left the service in good standing. After all, if you have reserve commitment (which most of us do in one form or another upto the age of 55) why shouldn't you have the benefits of the card?
  15. I don't think paying £25 for a discount card is a good idea.. in fact its a shite idea.

Just do what the reired Officers Bde do - refuse categorically to recognise that they are no longer serving, wear their Battle Dress or Red Tunics to work, insist on being called 'Sir', smell of piss, tell tall tales and say 'no' to any question.

I think we have some MP responsible for Veterans Affairs, so should he/ she/ it be looking into this? You spooks who are reading this, couldn't give the Veterans Affairs Minister a nudge in that direction? Ta