retired SAS colonel sleeping rough

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by jim24, Feb 6, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

2. I know it's the mail and in the wrong forum but, was he colonel of them?

3. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

If you read it you'll see I'm merely quoting him, and yes I should have put it in Current affairs, but I'm having a slight problem with the site today, keeps recycling the pages and stopping where it likes

4. Pararegtom

Pararegtom LE Book Reviewer

That old addage why let the truth get in the way of a good Headline, No he was not is the answer to your question.

5. Possibly Tim Collins is ex SAS

6. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

he is ex THEM, but wasn't a Col there. IIRC wasn't he invited back at least once, so probably a Sqn cmdr. So I assume post Telic a THEM CO posting could have been on his cards. Its in his book.

7. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Quote..."My own regiment, the Royal Irish..."

Given that this is the Daily Mail I am astonished he is not Darth Vader.

8. Aren't the funny looking para wings a dead giveaway for members of such a secret organisation?

9. Never seen anyone roughing it with a sleeping bag.

10. He was Regimental Ops Offr - if he was also a Sqn Comd I'm sure it would have been in his book - which I haven't read.

11. udipur

udipur LE Book Reviewer

Typically misleading headline but it is the mail.

No doubt there will be chatter (amongst the chattering classes) about how many servicemen there are living rough and their struggles to rehabilitate into civilian life. Thankfully, it's just not true any more.

It is understood that only 6% of homeless folk in London are ex-servicemen and women, thanks a lot to the efforts of Veterans' Aid.

Good for Col Collins that he's doing it and if the media want to get their facts wrong to pump up the message, something tells me it won't be the last time.

12. I would like to think that his motives were pure but I doubt it. His chosen career path is media whore after all.

13. Easy to admire the man, by all acounts hard to like him. Credit where it's due though. Whether by design or by accident, if it raises awareness and helps in any way, surely that in itself can only be a good thing?

14. I just saw the trailer for this on the BBC and it looked like typical spun BBC shite. However, it didn't mention Tim Collins' involvement at all; I shall give it a watch.

15. Really? I've seen quite a few; maybe we just have a better class of tramp... mind you, a leather jacket like that?