Retired Officers

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by wild_coyote, May 17, 2003.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Why do all retired officers working for the MOD always whinge about their pay and conditions.

They could always leave the comfort zone they have known for so long and try to get a proper job in the big bad world.

But then no one would salute them and call them sir.  And of course theres no officers mess close by to lounge in and read the paper until going home time!! :)

2. If the ones I've had dealings with are any guide it's because no civilian employer would employ such small-minded, petty, unimaginative useless wastes of space.  Not that I'm bitter at all after being mobilised.  

I'm sure there are some good ones out there but I've never met them.  

3. You're right.  There are some good RO's out there, and guess what?? they are all ex rankers!!

4. Thank you very much. I spent 36 years in the Army rising from Trooper to Major and I could get a job in civilian life if I wanted but 2 things are against me:

1. I am not the sharpest knife in the box.
    2. Moving trolleys off the Tesco car park bring me out in a rash.

5. Hats off to you Sir.

Tpr to Maj is no small achievement and if you can do that in the Army then the civilian world offers nothing that rates by way of comparison in terms of the time, effort and energy invested to achieve it.

i must admit though, that I agree with OOTS obervations completely.

6. I only remember ever having dealings with one RO during my service, and he was a former Lt Col from one of the less spring-loaded Corps. He wore grey, saggy suits with grey saggy ties to match his grey saggy paunch and face. No humour graced his life. He was a RO3, devoting his working time to those issues in Eastern District which the GSO2 deemed wholly unimportant. He, however, was tremendously important in his own eyes, blind to the contempt of his clerk and the p-taking of the occasional itinerant LCPL. Sad, really.