Retired Officers

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by paragorge, Apr 1, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Anyone know the score with retired officers?

can they demand to be called Sir etc?

Where is the policy laid down on addressing them?

Many thanks
  2. If they are above the rank of Major, then it tends to be good practice to call them Sir. Many of the RO's that I have met have never really pushed the point of how I should have referred to them but I tended to call them Sir out of respect. I do not think that it is laid down anywhere, but it maybe in either QR's or Debretts??

The otherside of it is that talking to some of these chaps they do have a number of stories to tell which are pretty interesting.
  3. You get those extremely strange ones who left the army decades ago and still wear the bloody uniform e.g. the QM at Castlemartin or the Garrison QM at York. I reckon they're so convinced of their own immortality and absolute authority when RSM - thru to QM - that they just stay in that wierd fantasy land. Shame really but also funny.
  4. The CO at Castleman trully is in his world! I like his dress sense. It says Feck the uniform code I'll wear what I want even if it is M&S slacks a pair of Russel & Bromley loafers, Army Jumper random tie and chip bag on head.
  5. My very first real RSM saw I had a problem with calling anyone Sir. He advised me that I HAD to say it - it meant nothing and I could always say cnut under my breath. I managed this for 22+ years and from the day of advice never had a problem. I think it is laid down under Good Sense.
  6. I was always taught to call anyone 20 years older than myself sir, be they pompous old family friends or bus drivers. I still call lots of people sir, if only out of politeness. It doesn't hurt me and it's polite.

I hate strangers, shop assistants and cold callers refering to me by my first name though.
  7. yeh , i just dislike some retired hanger on requesting to be called sir, whilst refering to me as an appointment rather than human.
  8. Mushroom wrote:

It's not just me then. Equally I hate 'yoofs' calling me 'mate'. My view of marks of respect for ROs? Depends on the cut of their jib, history and just how senior they are. Begin with 'Sir' and withdraw it if it appears he/she is unworthy. The point will not be lost.
  9. Many years ago I recall a platoon sergeant briefing his platoon who were about to mount winter guard at Edinburgh Castle when asked a similar question by one of his Jocks, replied "If they're no wearin' a donkey jacket salute and call them sir."
    Glowing reports all round! That platoon could do no wrong. Perhaps it's good advice.
  10. Agree totally. Who do these people think they are using my first name without permission? That is for family and close friends, I expect Mister or Sir from everyone else, as that is what I use.
  11. Mister is a satisfactory form of address.

Sir is something that has to be earned, use it to people you respect. Too many ROs expect it but do not deserve it.

If you address them as Mister and you can never be wrong but it will p$$$ off the pompous ones.
  12. Absolutely, my immediate reply is

"have we been introduced?"

Confuses the chavs :D
  13. I'm a retired officer - you can call me Sir, if you like.

I call everyone Sir. I learnt at Sandhurst that you can put a clever inflection in the way it's said to deliver the most wonderful insult!!
  14. If they have retired and are not on the active list you do not have to call them anything.
  15. Oh, I can just see some of the reactions to calling them 'mate'. Would be a giggle though...........particularly if they happend to be a retired LE! :lol:

You can hear it now!