Retention Positive Training - what is it?

OK, so you are a Coy Comd/Sqn Comd and you want to build a team ethic in your unit. You believe that this is essential to maintaining the utility and relevance of your sub unit and that it will give you an edge as compared to other Units in your Battalion/Regiment/Bde.

Someone you respect gives you some sage advice - 'it's all about 'getting the habit' he says; 'they've got to WANT to come in and when they do, the place has a real 'buzz' about it' he continued, 'after that you can do anything'. You set yourself to thinking about delivering a training programme that achieved just that.

You checked the latest manual and it used the phrase, 'retention positive training' (RPT).

So what would you do/arrange/plan/publish and how would you make it happen - by your physical presence, force of personality or CofC, or what?

More MATT :roll: s?

If you'd like more than 4 bods to turn up then be sure to include some sort of drinking beer style training. Also, ensure that it's not raining / no premiership matches being televised / no-one's birthday. It helps too if they can knock off before 1300 on a Sunday, but still get a days pay for it.

Geordie_Blerk said:
If you'd like more than 4 bods to turn up then be sure to include some sort of drinking beer style training. Also, ensure that it's not raining / no premiership matches being televised / no-one's birthday. It helps too if they can knock off before 1300 on a Sunday, but still get a days pay for it.
Sad but true, sad but true

Wingletang said:
Geordie_Blerk said:
It helps too if they can knock off before 1300 on a Sunday, but still get a days pay for it.
I thought most people did? - maybe not.
Now you are havving a giraffe

Publish a long range drill night training programme (see attached) which fits around your weekend training.

Make sure you have someone looking after the critical 'Post-CMSR - pre trade training' people, as these are very likely to leave.

Give your SNCOs as much latitude as you can and remind them that you will be checking their lessons and reporting on them in their CRs.

Include some interest lessons

Be honest and upfront about the fact that some drill nights will not be exciting.

Get instructors from other units to come and do a few lessons, in exchange for you doing a few for them.

Ensure the bar is open afterwards.

Then watch as Bde tasks overwhelm your capability to deliver as your PSI / SPSI /SNCOs / Offrs are dragged off on to other activities :(

Attachments

msr said:
Then watch as Bde & Bn tasks overwhelm your capability to deliver as your PSI / SPSI /SNCOs / Offrs are dragged off on to other activities :(
My bold adds some other factors

On the subject of MATTs:

There is no reason why you cannot weave them into a credible scenario over a weekend on a training area and get some training value out of them too.

If you present them as a series of lectures in a drafty drill (church?) hall, then they are going to be seen as a chore.

Again, doing an instructor swap is easy and gives a fresh perspective on a subject, rather than 'Cpl X delivering the CBRN lecture again'.

A little bit of creativity goes a long way and if you can't be creative, you can easily box off the lectures across a number of drill nights.

msr

Geordie_Blerk said:
It helps too if they can knock off before 1300 on a Sunday, but still get a days pay for it.
Is that similiar to knocking off after lunch on a Friday or is it more like Wednesday afternoon sport?

Please don't feed the troll

I have also asked for a TA section on Vital Ground on Armynet, so when that is up and running we should be able to share more ideas in a slightly less public forum.

And another thought: don't forget the training needs of the Offrs and SNCOs.

msr

Geordie_Blerk said:
Or make it an OBUA weekend.

msr said:
I have also asked for a TA section on Vital Ground on Armynet, so when that is up and running we should be able to share more ideas in a slightly less public forum.

And another thought: don't forget the training needs of the Offrs and SNCOs.

msr
Yea that is something that is often forgotten although our Bn does hold study days/tewts for the officers and seniors with other arms and they are quite benificial just to see who brings what to the party

Only thing that is missing in my training was the adj take away all the Junior officers and educate them on their duties MS, CR etc that the RMAS never taught

msr said:
Please don't feed the troll
That'll be the voice of someone unfortunate enough to be working with the TA then? Thought everything he said was true myself. Sad but true. By the way, I know who you are. Small world isn't it? See you on Oct 3rd!

Speaking for myself I always remember I gained the greatest satisfaction and sense of personal achievement the harder the weekend training was. certainly fired me up for the next one.

Over the years I noticed more increasingly 'soft' weekends and less real soldiering ( Matts Training as example). Which kind of defeated the reason I joined and certainly was one of the influencing factors why I left.

But then again I am a salad dodging Pre SDR Beer swilling slacker.

Hardysa said:
As far as I can tell, there isn't an ARRSEpedia page lurking on this subject. If not, could I suggest we collate opinions/suggestions from this thread and threads such as Should we bin drill nights? into a wiki page?

H
Fill yer boots ;)

msr

The_Duke

LE
Retention positive training according to The_Duke:

1. Make it as demanding as possible, stepping away from the easy option whenever you can. The hardest exercises are the ones people remember the most. Soldiers are giving up valuable time with their family and friends - they do not want to spend it in the TA centre or some cr@p NAAFI somewhere.

2. Valuable training can be achieved (and MATTs qualified) in unusual ways. 2 Days of hard NAVEX around Brecon easily qualifies for the Nav MATT, but also teaches soldiers to navigate properly rather than in a classroom. It also provides good physical training, leadership of small groups, basic fieldcraft skills and a good opportunity to get to know people within a small group. Easy to organise, low admin requirement, high reward.

3. Push soldiers beyond their rank. Pte's giving lessons may not always be DIT perfect, but if they have the knowledge why not? Get people to "act up" whenever possible. It demonstrates trust in them, and gives them a chance to improve.

4. Try and vary the training as much as possible, but the emphasis MUST be on core skills not jollies. If time gets tight, sack the jolly and invest everything into a demanding, well run exercise.

5. Commanders must be seen to be training with their soldiers. If the OC/CSM or equivalent are not on the CFT, night TAB, exercise etc then credibility is lost. The impression is "if they can't be bothered, why should I".

Loads more, but I have to get on with a load of TA planning tasks in work time!

the_duke, are you an OC? and can i transfer to your unit, every one of your points are spot on.
I have lost count of the number of times i have turned up for a weekend and it has been a waste of time, due to various factors, but generally if the work load isnt hard enought i dont feel like i've achieved anything.
Also dont waste time training on kit that is not used any more by the regular army and is just waiting to be decommisioned.

The main thing i would like to see is better MATTS weekends, these IMHO have to be done as exersicses, an example would be that your section has to leave the harbour area and go out on patrol (navigation MATT) during which you are called to reinforce a section under fire 6 miles away (cft MATT) when you get there there are verious casualties and the section must render aid, after winning the fire fight if the matt is done correctly, (bcdt MATT). You can then add in the CBRN at any time you like, night time air burst attack for example.
Now i'm so low down the rank structure i dont know if it would take an act of god to make this happen, but i hope not.

I would also like to see mixed exersices for example a comms exersice with and inf unit as a live enemy on the ground trying to work out where the sig would be and would be going. This would allow for some comms without it getting to boring and allow for the practice of ambush and anti-ambush drills as well as section in attack and in defence drills. much more realistic training than setup comms and bimble about acting a little bit tactical. Again i dont know how hard this would be to get off the ground but i wish it would happen.

I_G

Edit to add, on the PT point if the is a reason that the SNCOs and Officers are not doing PT, injury or whatever do not have then hanging around in full view of the people that are doing PT get them to go out of sight, at least they can pretend to be busy elsewhere.