retention of QA nurses

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by poohbear, Jun 1, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The retention of nurses in the army is a huge problem.
    Some experiences I have encountered makes me think that the army could do better at looking after its nurses.
    Especially in the accomodation section! and the fitness section also. When do we have time to do anyfitness or keep up to date with ITD's ! Not as much as we should do!
    I dont think that regiments understand that we are professional people with a registration to uphold.
    I also think that the mentality of a nurse is different to that of a private soldier. Dont treat us like we are thick! I know so many people that have joined the army, qualified, got to a med reg or medical centre in BFG and then signed off ! you dont get looked after or get any respect! Just S*** on!
    anyone else have any thoughts on this!
  2. Yeah, don't believe your own hype!!
  3. Dear Poohbear,

I am confused as to why talk of people in BFG is on the TA thread. I do not question what you say, merely your decision to post here.

Is this specifically relevant to TA nurses?

4. No this is not specifically to TA nurses. im new to this site. Am i on a TA forum?
    Im just trying to get some feedback on how other QA's feel about their posting and support they get in order to retain nurses better . I perhaps didnt word it right.
    What i wanted to say really was that nursing is a profession, and perhaps you dont get the respect that you deserve when being a junior rank serving soldier and posted where you are one of the only QA's in that area.
    I'm relating it to BGG because i dont believe that there is enough support for QA's out here. From general talk between peers there's lots of issues- too many to elaborate on. Just focusing on retention of nurses in the army whether TA or Full time, I think the army (big bosses at the top) need to seriously think about how they can support their nurses better.
  5. msr

msr LE

Dear Poohbear,

I am confused as to why talk of people of ITDs on the TA thread. I do not question what you say, merely your decision to post here.

Is this specifically relevant to 2006?

6. Maybe they've posted on the Retention thread, not realising its in a TA folder (quite easy to do from some parts of the site)
  7. Don't worry, after 6 yrs of serving, changing my life and off duty around, pissing off my family, one tour of duty in Iraq and an imminent in Afghan, I have now been told that my decade of experience as a nurse in a variety of settings, including ITU trauma that I suddenly don't fit in with the new 8005 establishment due to the fact that I am not clinically current, even though I am working as a full time clinician with full patient contact, I will not be reingaged or allowed to transfer, I do not know how much it has cost to train, kit me out etc etc, but this is one less QA who will going off to relieve her regular counterparts on ops. Go figure! 8O
  8. I would just like to add to the above,

Passed all MATTS, done enough days to qualify, have a full time job in NHS, currently up to date in my field of nursing, have agreed to go to Afghanistan. Therefore not a TA slacker (or dead wood) as some of us have been reffered to.

Filtered down from 2 Med BDE that my skills are not what they want, because I am not current enough in trauma nursing. I would like to ask the question who in the NHS and those coming out of the regional MDHU's, who can truly put their hand on their heart and say they have the absolute requisite skills to deal with the types of trauma currently coming out of Iraq and Afghanistan? They are a rare breed of clinicians and frankly are needed here in the UK. Those that do have those types of skills are hardly going to join the TA without the incentives that have been offered to nurses joining the TA in the past. If you want proper trauma training go to Johannesburg or Israel, many ITU nurses work in ordinairy regional centres and are just not exposed to the type of injuries seen. Many A&E nurses do not see GSW and trauma either and deal with the normal run of the mill stuff the NHS sees.

It is about time that the Regular Army stops robbing from the NHS, relying on the good will of NHS bosses to backfill the lack of an AMS. Stop pissing off keen and motivated individuals like myself and my colleagues in the TA, bemoaning the fact we are not clinincally current and offer us the education and training you feel we require and recognise the invaluable effort we put in and the part we have played so far in OPs.

P.S thanks for the medal, recieved it two years late in a JIffy bag in the post, ta.
  9. and your problem is? youre not what they need at the moment!

So these clinicians arent needed in Iraq and Afghanistan where our troops who are serving their country really need them? Youre in the TA but youd rather not have our troops cared for by the best?

erm, arent these people in the TA? if they have volunteered to be in the TA then surely they know the risk that they may be called for an operational tour, its not like the MOD are marching into the local NHS hospital and forcibily taking staff from their place of work is it? 'robbed'!
    In one breath you are moaning that the MOD wont deploy you and in the next your moaning about TA working in the NHS being deployed! make your mind up.

What do you mean by late? were you given a precise date for your medal to arrive? did you want to go to Buck House for Liz to present it to you? you really do think you are special dont you?

I think our deployed troops and my collegues at the UK Med Gps both in Iraq and Afghanistan are better off that you have been left behind, I just pity those at your work who have got to endure your whinging instead of having the 6 month break they were hoping for.
  10. OOOH and I thought I was angry, maybe I was not making myself clear. I am off to Afghan, which I stated. I feel that the army should, if it wants trauma nurses, train trauma nurses like any good employer should. Not turn its nose up at the very good calibre of TA medics it already has on its books that don't look good on paper but can do the do. I am not a special case this is happening all over medical TA units, motivated keen individuals being told that they no longer fit in.

My point about relying on the NHS was about the training, the army should not rely on the NHS to keep nurses up to date with trauma nursing that is rarely seen in civillian life. You may or may not have noticed the NHS has gone through a freeze on education and training, this in turn prevents many NHS staff (who are TA also) accessing the relevant courses that the army requires its TA personnel to have before being considered for deployment, especially newly qualified staff.

The army should be training all its nurses in the skills required for the very intense and unusual types of trauma that occurs on ops. A civvie nurse may see alot of RTA's but not the trauma associated with blast injuries and fragmentation. Therefore the point I was making that we all then do not come up to scratch. The TA is a fluid workforce, people like myself are not going to stay forever in A&E, but this does not mean we lose our skills the minute we walk out of the resus room. Especially if we are still in a full on clinical role. However if you want full on up to speed trauma nurses, train us!

UK Med BDE does not seem to be appreciate this for some reason. they seem to be pursuing a very short term policy for the here and now, the boom and bust style of recruiting seen in the NHS over the last couple of decades. It cost alot to train and kit those of us in this position, it does not seem good economics to bin all that?

As for me medal, yeah I am whinging....
  11. the Army, Navy & RAF used to send nurses and ODPs to South Africa for 6 weeks at a time for trauma training, excellent training excellent hands on experience with GSWs, but it all came to a very abrupt and politically sensitive end due to a.........TA nurse! Months of regs going and no probs, 1 whinging whining TA nurse was all it took to end it all. Blame one of your collegues it was they who ruined the best trauma training we could have had.

As for the gong, well whats new? I have 8 medals and the only ones that turned up in less than 18 months were the 2 NATO Balkans ones and thats only because they have boxes full of the things in theatre.
  12. We all agree that British soldiers deserve the best treatment whilst abroad. However, as many TA units are covering the medical role ( Camp Bastion etc ) it needs to be recognised that many nurses from these units are not clinically current yet are placed in roles above their abilities and experience. The truth is that the majority of NHS nurses in ITU, A and E , Primary care do not see joining the TA / Regular Army as a wise career move especially when they can do contract work in the same sandy places for alot more pay. So, we are left with Nurses who are not clinically current but are motivated to serve and deploy. Improved clinical training seems to be the answer and a move away from MATTS for units deploying ( these will be covered in the months pre deployment training ) and a greater concentration on updating those staff with previous skills / experience may be a way forward. In addition to this we need to look at the age of those currently in the QA TA it is apparent that we are all looking older and do not seem to be attracting new blood in quantities that are sufficient for the future. If we start getting rid of staff to provide a leaner service then no one who joins the QA TA will feel that its for the longterm i.e. as soon as you gain a promotion in the NHS and move away from the clinical area you will less useful to the TA and may be the next one on the Goodbye and Thankyou list
  13. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

What did he/she whinge about?
  14. Doesn´t the annual minibus to the nearest NAAFI bop give you enough incentive to stay in?
  15. something about it being ethically wrong to use the poor unfortunates as training aids.