Discussion in 'Seniors' started by BRAINDRAIN, Jun 18, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I don't know if its me, but I was under the impression that you could only retain your rank on retirement if you were of field rank i.e. Major or above. There seems to be a plethora of Capt (retd) appearing all over the place. I was only aware of Capt peacock until recently !
    Can anyone advise on the legitimacy of using Capt(retd).

Braindrain WO2 (retd).
  2. you could try and ask the officers rather than seniors if you want a sensible reply :wink:
  3. You are correct - traditionally people only retained rank of Major and above. However nowadays it is very unusual (and a little odd) for people to retain any rank at all in civilian life.

As for Capt (retd), I have only ever seen it when they still work within or for the MOD (i.e. RO type jobs). I have always viewed people who feel the need to retain rank with a certain amount of suspicion - what are they trying to prove? Or do they just feel inadequate?
  4. Look on the use of Capt (retd) as a warning that the individual is a petty-minded little man (or woman, let's not be sexist). Forewarned is forearmed and all that.
  5. I find it quite sad that anyone of any previous military rank would wish to advertise it as a civvy. It smacks of insecurity. It doesn't impress anyone. Well, no one of importance anyway. The only people who are impressed by it are likeminded individuals who retired on lesser rank and who also insist upon using (Ret'd) .

I've yet to see a 'council estate' ex-Officer use it

Maybe it's a Public schoolboy thing?

Civvy (Ret'd)
  6. CC, I feel that most seniors are sensible.

I agree with doomsayer in that it smacks a bit of sado and undermines their credibility.

I was also concerned that they may be forced to use their old rank by their need to diferentiate themselves from civil servants when they are employed in MSF posts - if they don't want to be a civil servant do something else is my opinion.
  7. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

I thought the 'retd' Capt was bought in to give Mark Phillips (Princess Anne's first divorce' some kudos.
  8. I'm not sure if there are any army publications on the matter (probably are) but if you check Debretts 'Guide to etiquette and modern manners' it says that it's considered bad form if you retain a rank below that of Major on retirement (and its Navy and RAF equivalents). So OCdt (retd) is right out.
  9. Despite the whole thing being so pityful.........Capt (Ret'd) just smacks of loser doesn't it?
  10. It does. Unless of course the word he is abbreviating in this case is 'retarded'. Would be fine then...

edited to add a bit
  11. Navy captain? surley they can use Capt (retd)? or do they add RN?
  12. Mr is preferable for all ranks after retirement.In civvy street,everyone starts equal(unless you are a former sapper!)
  13. Capt in the Navy is slightly further up the food chain than some drongo from the Army using it in the fashion debated.
  14. I am aware of that Biscuits, and it was the point (if somewhat poorly) I was trying to make, how would you know if they were ex RN or Army?

It could be implied that an individual was of a more senior rank when serving than they really were.
  15. I believe you can use the title "Captain (Retd)" and equivalents as a courtesy title. This is not the same as using the title "Major (Retd)" which is an entitlement, but I do not know the precise difference other than the social faux pas of using retired Captain rank!