Retention bonus

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by Eyeball, Jun 19, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Read on orders today about retention bonus, sign a form at 5 year point to say your your not going to sign off for another year, it's same at 7 year point.

Call me stupid but is this the same as the 5 year bonus, as I have always heard you get it after serving 5 years.

2. Call you stupid? Why would anyone wish to do that when you write such an excellent post, which is easily understood, deals factually with a subject and inspires others so...

In short; what exactly is your point?

3. On the 5 year bonus to my knowledge you did not have to sign a form to say you will not sign off for another year. You could sign for the money then sign off the next day if you wanted, or at least thats what I thought (not that I'm planning on doing this I'm just curious).

4. Are you for real? You could sign off the next day, but you would need to serve 364 further days (lets not be fussy on exact days) before they would let you out. So if you took the money, you had to do another year even if you signed off next day!

Are you saying that this has changed or not? As I said before your posts are very confusing, do you mean that if you take the money you are committted to a minimum of 24 months from the day you signed?

5. When you sign for your bonus you state that you have not signed off. So, indeed, you are able to sign off the very next day if you wished. Same with the EIGHT year bonus. Remember that you get taxed on it so you will only see about £2300 for 5 years and £1900 for 8.

Enjoy it - you won't be getting any more.

6. I didn't realise that you got less money at the 8 year point. Pity, i reach 8 years in a couple of months, still better than a kick in the teeth I suppose.

7. /Are you saying that this has changed or not? As I said before your posts are very confusing, do you mean that if you take the money you are committted to a minimum of 24 months from the day you signed?[/quote]

Yes, from what it says it's making out that if you sign the form you would not be alloud to sign off for another year.

8. IS Ski Geek

IS Ski Geek War Hero Moderator

I was under the impression that all FRI's had been canned. Anyone care to comment.

9. i wouldnt moan about it - when i joined in 1990 the terms of service included retention bonus of £2000 at 5 and 8 year points. then when i got to those points, they changed the rules and i got f*ck all. so take what they give you and dont whinge too much, youre lucky!