Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Retaining current SFA after posting

Iqbal Achieve

Old Salt
I am due posting to another area, I would like to keep my SFA flat in my current town. I have been informed by welfare that this is usually possible given a satisfactory reason.
I was wondering whether anyone has had a similar experience and if so what was the outcome.
To give some context I am not married, living with a long term GF. 16 Bde recently allowed non-married couples to use surplus accommodation.

Thanks in advance for any help!

I am due posting to another area, I would like to keep my SFA flat in my current town. I have been informed by welfare that this is usually possible given a satisfactory reason.
I was wondering whether anyone has had a similar experience and if so what was the outcome.
To give some context I am not married, living with a long term GF. 16 Bde recently allowed non-married couples to use surplus accommodation.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Thats a bit of a curiousity that they have let the SFA be used like that. Taking into account long term relationships into accommodation eligibility is a consideration under FAM, so on the face of it they are forward thinking, but it will depend on the nature of the surplus SFA.
In theory surplus SFA eligibility’s are dropping away as the estate was sold off and rented back. This means the MoD are subsidising the housing due to the amount they pay to Annington and in comparison to the discounted rent paid by SLA/SFA tennants. The current NHP contract doesn’t pay the support contrator (CarillionAmey — now just Amey) for empty SFA so they have to allocate and move people in to get paid to run the estate
Anything surplus should be considered for giving up and handing back to Annington, (this doesn’t happen if they are earmarked such as rebasing from Germany), but they can be also put to the private housing on limited leases so they can be reverted later when required.
It may be that they have gone for an inbetween solution and made available to you.

Retention of SFA is subject to a case by case basis on application, and is also subject to the need to hold the SFA but it’s currently surplus. It all goes wrong when they have to go to SSFA and pay full private rental prices to house families because the formerly ‘surplus’ properties are in use by cuckoos.

What kind of rent charges are you paying?

If you’re paying normal SFA rates then by using the mess and commuting you would get two accommodation subsidies with one of those for a non entitled partner

One thing to bear in mind is that you are in a surplus married quarter with no eligibility. This means that you are on a rolling 21 day notice to vacate. Which means that they only need to give you 3 weeks notice to move out, with no obligation to find you any other accommodation ( bar SSA).

I had a run in a number of years ago with the housing office. I had been moved from Middle Wallop to Tidworth and when arranging for the move was told that I can just stay in my present quarter. 6 months later and two weeks before Christmas I was told to move out. I asked if it can be delayed until the New Year as it was them who told me just to stay. The answer was a resounding "No" because you are in a surplus quarter.

One thing to bear in mind is that you are in a surplus married quarter with no eligibility. This means that you are on a rolling 21 day notice to vacate. Which means that they only need to give you 3 weeks notice to move out, with no obligation to find you any other accommodation ( bar SSA).

I had a run in a number of years ago with the housing office. I had been moved from Middle Wallop to Tidworth and when arranging for the move was told that I can just stay in my present quarter. 6 months later and two weeks before Christmas I was told to move out. I asked if it can be delayed until the New Year as it was them who told me just to stay. The answer was a resounding "No" because you are in a surplus quarter.

As far as I'm aware I'm paying standard married rates.
Apparently 16 bde are keen to use up surplus accommodation by moving single troops in, I live in a flat, there are 3 other singlies in the same block.
I was advised to complete the application form by welfare, who anticipated it would be immediately rejected, which it was. Welfare then spoke to the housing association by phone referring to the surplus accommodation agreement.

My concern is the posting may only be temporary, with the plan being to return to my current role in April.

As per the post above.

It happended in Woolwich after the MQ's were done up...maybe 10 years back.. Singlies were allowed to use them ,basically done to stop the local scrotes breaking in an robbing the boilers and copper, which had been done to a few of them.