Resuscitation and Covid19 (basic life support/CPR)

What’s the guideline for collapsing opposition politicians, BBC staff or left wing journalists?

Is it still the case that blowing smoke up their arse returns them to full health?
Do compressions with a hammer, obviously the hammer needs a 2metre long handle

Good news is you'd be safe using a resus mask with valve. Bad news is hardly anyone carries such a mask, and face shields don't have the required filters. Failing that, at least try breaking out the nearest AED and do the chest compressions until the ambulance arrives.

Personal safety always comes first.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Good news is you'd be safe using a resus mask with valve. Bad news is hardly anyone carries such a mask, and face shields don't have the required filters. Failing that, at least try breaking out the nearest AED and do the chest compressions until the ambulance arrives.

Personal safety always comes first.
Safer, not totally safe. Bag valve mask is not a closed system

For all you budding good Samaritans out there and anybody involved in CPR, there is new guidance from resus council.

Our Health Board is stated any collapse is to be considered Covid19 positive and all resuscitation to be performed with full PPE.

In our area No PPE = No resus.

PPE is FFP3 mask, visor, long sleeved gown and double gloved
Outstanding, just let people die :roll:

Yokel

LE
I suppose the Health Boards are aware of two brutal facts - most patients needing CPR cannot be saved, and that with a potential flood of patients it has to been treated like a mass causality incident with triage so resources (ie people) put to the best used to save as many lives as possible.

As for the public it is a judgement call. Are you young and fit? Is the casualty obviously ill or have they suffered something like an electrical shock?

Plus.....maybe people who would in the past needlessly have attended A and E when they got a splinter in their thumb or stubbed their toe may think twice about going and deal with their minor injuries at home.
It would be nice to think that, in the future, doctor's surgeries would be able to accommodate walk up appointments instead of redirecting minor incidents to A&E.

Wouldn't be the first time tough descisions have had to be made.
On a case by case basis.

I think if I was unfortunate enough to catch Covid 19, I would weather it and come out the other side.

If a youngster needed CPR, I think I would take the risk sans PPE.

It would be nice to think that, in the future, doctor's surgeries would be able to accommodate walk up appointments instead of redirecting minor incidents to A&E.
I believe the GP gets billed if they send a patient to A&E when they could deal with it themselves.

I believe the GP gets billed if they send a patient to A&E when they could deal with it themselves.
First you'd have to actually see your GP. I think the poster meant rather than go direct to A&E do not pass go do not collect £200 you should try your GP (private) practice first. Assuming it's within working hours, 8 -5 Mon - Fri, outside that 111.

I'm not elderly or at risk; I'd happily perform resuscitation on anyone in need.

For most of us it's going to be no worse than having the cold.

Let's not get hysterical now.
But you could DIE! A most horrible, gargling, choking death as you fight to get breath into your lungs but you're drowning as your lungs collapse filled with the CV19 virus filling you with its awful microbes!! AAAARRRGGGHHH!!

Safer, not totally safe. Bag valve mask is not a closed system
I preferred the old minuteman resus system. Now that's properly safe.
Alternatively get a junior to carry out CPR

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Outstanding, just let people die :roll:
For those in hospital, all will have been through various DNACPR processes.

Baring in mind that the only ones going to be admitted are the worse cases with the poorest prognosis it is a pragmatic approach.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I'm not elderly or at risk; I'd happily perform resuscitation on anyone in need.

For most of us it's going to be no worse than having the cold.

Let's not get hysterical now.
No hysteria about it. I stated both the resus council approach which is valid for the man in the street.
And also quoted what our board policy is for in hospital.
Given the reported deaths of health care workers around the world who have been exposed during such procedures, someone has made a difficult decision.

We had 90 minutes of training on it yesterday. 10 minutes on the new process and 80 on the ethics and what we thought as it was contary to everything we normally stand for

For those in hospital, all will have been through various DNACPR processes.

Baring in mind that the only ones going to be admitted are the worse cases with the poorest prognosis it is a pragmatic approach.
When did we get to the point of “ah, fück ‘em, they’re too far gone’?

Im glad that wasn’t the attitude when I got hit.

On this basis, if I get it I might as well go straight to the crem.

You can't, there's a lot of paperwork involved before they'll burn you.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
When did we get to the point of “ah, fück ‘em, they’re too far gone’?

Im glad that wasn’t the attitude when I got hit.

Go back a few years in military medicine and it was the case especially when multiple casualties, I remember the definations, P1, P2, P3 and the good old P1 holding

DNACPR are common in health and social care with elderly and multiple health conditions.

These are the sort that are mostly likely to be in hospital with Covid19.

Fpr instance even before this, one of my roles are domiciliary dentistry and I would visit care homes, not unusual for 38 out of 40 residents in a home to be DNACPR.

Latest Threads