Resurrected Threads

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Since the 'Similar' threads has become available, several threads which have been dormant for years have been resurrected and comments which are totally irrelevant now added. I am finding it a bit of a pain in the neck at the moment.There was one re-opened today from 2002 when most current Arrsers were still in nappies :)

Is it possible to lock threads that have not been visited for 12 months? They can then be read but not re-opened.

It is too much to do manually, but if you have some of that vodoo that you do so well that could do it. then I would be very grateful if you applied it.

If not possible then hey-ho :meditate:

Since the 'Similar' threads has become available, several threads which have been dormant for years have been resurrected and comments which are totally irrelevant now added. I am finding it a bit of a pain in the neck at the moment.There was one re-opened today from 2002 when most current Arrsers were still in nappies :)

Is it possible to lock threads that have not been visited for 12 months? They can then be read but not re-opened.

It is too much to do manually, but if you have some of that vodoo that you do so well that could do it. then I would be very grateful if you applied it.

If not possible then hey-ho :meditate:
I will reply to this thread again in ten years time

Please hold :)

I will reply to this thread again in ten years time

Please hold :)
A_Y won't be around in ten years, high blood pressure and gout will have done for him.

Yeah, I know, after me though.

A fair idea in principle, but I'm not sure you'd get any votes from the Official Cernunnos Fanclub.
What about exempting certain forums (fora??) like Lamp & Sandbag etc?

I'd disagree with that idea.

Admittedly some of the additional posts have little to contribute, but in other cases thread resurrections have led to some good debate, and in other cases classic 'late bites', like this one:

http://www.arrse.co.uk/arrse-hole/17735-real-soldiers.html

It'd be a shame to see them locked away gathering dust.

guilty as charged sorry now understand the widget

In my humble opinion, the users of Arrse have created this issue. Often new users will come onto the site and ask a question or try and bring about a discussion on a topic only to be abrubtly told: "use the search funtion". Often a few insults are chucked in for good measure.

Over time, the message starts getting across, probably assisted by the new and improved search funtion. Now, people search for a subject that they are intrested in rather than starting a new thread, only to be castigated for resurecting a thread that had lay dormant.

You cant have it both ways.

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
In my humble opinion, the users of Arrse have created this issue. Often new users will come onto the site and ask a question or try and bring about a discussion on a topic only to be abrubtly told: "use the search funtion". Often a few insults are chucked in for good measure.
No. It's the 'similar threads' thing at the bottom and people not checking the dates of the posts.

Not guilty of resurrectionism myself, but it has been mildly amusing to see the disproportionate, apoplectic rage that it has provoked in some posters whose carers must be running low on thorazine. If they think it's a dead issue then just point out the date and stop reading.

Can't win; either get whined at for not looking in past threads, or bollocked for necro-posting.

No. It's the 'similar threads' thing at the bottom and people not checking the dates of the posts.
Okay then, but my point still stands. Regardless of whether they use the "search function" or the "similar threads" button, users still get criticised for duplicating threads when an existing one is on the site.

I think it comes down to users of this site being overly keen to, basically, chops off.

In my opinion, does it matter that the thread is old, if somone wishes to comment on it, then it may be of interest to others who may have missed it first time around. If not then other users are free to not comment or to stop reading it all together.

So what is it that decides that a thread is similar?

I am only asking as I wondered what threads on pissing yourself and selling babies have in common with this one.

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer

I am only asking as I wondered what threads on pissing yourself and selling babies have in common with this one.
The titles of those all contain the word 'threads' (just like this one does)?

I'm not sure, but, looking at the list below, all but one of them has the word "thread" in the title. Just as this one does.

This thread is proof, if it were ever really needed, of the elitism,exclusivity and high regard that long term arrsers hold themselves in.

They remind me of people who like rock/pop bands then ditch them when they get too popular: "I liked The Pet Shop Boys for the first two albums,then they got too big and it was all downhill from then on." :)

For flip's sake get over yourselves, this isnt some secret gentlemen's club; however much you'd like it to be.

Now,I'm off to dig up a thread from 2002 or 2003.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
This thread is proof, if it were ever really needed, of the elitism,exclusivity and high regard that long term arrsers hold themselves in.

They remind me of people who like rock/pop bands then ditch them when they get too popular: "I liked The Pet Shop Boys for the first two albums,then they got too big and it was all downhill from then on." :)

For flip's sake get over yourselves, this isnt some secret gentlemen's club; however much you'd like it to be.

Now,I'm off to dig up a thread from 2002 or 2003.

Ooooh, get her! Dry your eyes Princess.

I think you resemble the first line of your post :)

Now now Auld-Yin.

You're surely not going to deny that the long-timers on here are very free in their use of "use the search engine" or insult and scathing wit when someone asks an innocent or innocuous question?

I see posts like "Can I use my MOD90 as a rail-card? and know that the poor fecker will get torn to pieces by the usual suspects. They arent to know.

If folk do use the search facility and also the "similar threads" to find an answer and/or resurrect a debate whats the harm?

Or rather;how many posts does one need before one can declare a topic dead and therefore it should not be mentioned again?

I think we should be told.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I think Timshel put it rather well in his/her post above.