Resurrected Threads

Discussion in 'ARRSE: Site Issues' started by Auld-Yin, Oct 1, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Since the 'Similar' threads has become available, several threads which have been dormant for years have been resurrected and comments which are totally irrelevant now added. I am finding it a bit of a pain in the neck at the moment.There was one re-opened today from 2002 when most current Arrsers were still in nappies :)

Is it possible to lock threads that have not been visited for 12 months? They can then be read but not re-opened.

It is too much to do manually, but if you have some of that vodoo that you do so well that could do it. then I would be very grateful if you applied it.

If not possible then hey-ho :meditate:
  2. I will reply to this thread again in ten years time

Please hold :)
  3. A_Y won't be around in ten years, high blood pressure and gout will have done for him.

Yeah, I know, after me though.
  4. I'm quite enjoying the trawl down memory lane - leave them be!
  5. A fair idea in principle, but I'm not sure you'd get any votes from the Official Cernunnos Fanclub.
    What about exempting certain forums (fora??) like Lamp & Sandbag etc?
  6. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

I'd disagree with that idea.

Admittedly some of the additional posts have little to contribute, but in other cases thread resurrections have led to some good debate, and in other cases classic 'late bites', like this one:

It'd be a shame to see them locked away gathering dust.
  7. guilty as charged sorry now understand the widget
  8. In my humble opinion, the users of Arrse have created this issue. Often new users will come onto the site and ask a question or try and bring about a discussion on a topic only to be abrubtly told: "use the search funtion". Often a few insults are chucked in for good measure.

Over time, the message starts getting across, probably assisted by the new and improved search funtion. Now, people search for a subject that they are intrested in rather than starting a new thread, only to be castigated for resurecting a thread that had lay dormant.

You cant have it both ways.
  9. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

No. It's the 'similar threads' thing at the bottom and people not checking the dates of the posts.
  10. Not guilty of resurrectionism myself, but it has been mildly amusing to see the disproportionate, apoplectic rage that it has provoked in some posters whose carers must be running low on thorazine. If they think it's a dead issue then just point out the date and stop reading.
  11. Can't win; either get whined at for not looking in past threads, or bollocked for necro-posting.
  12. Okay then, but my point still stands. Regardless of whether they use the "search function" or the "similar threads" button, users still get criticised for duplicating threads when an existing one is on the site.

I think it comes down to users of this site being overly keen to, basically, chops off.

In my opinion, does it matter that the thread is old, if somone wishes to comment on it, then it may be of interest to others who may have missed it first time around. If not then other users are free to not comment or to stop reading it all together.
  13. So what is it that decides that a thread is similar?

I am only asking as I wondered what threads on pissing yourself and selling babies have in common with this one.
  14. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

The titles of those all contain the word 'threads' (just like this one does)?
  15. I'm not sure, but, looking at the list below, all but one of them has the word "thread" in the title. Just as this one does.