Results are in and it is leave the EU

Status
Not open for further replies.
In what way does leaving increase our influence?
In what way did Willy and George being cousins, and Chamberlain and Hitler being "bezzers" over the Sudentenland, increase our influence over Europe?

Go back to what we've always done: largely minding our business and making the odd bit of mischief; oh and stop subsidising the development of competitors (though the EU euphemises it as "partners").

Cough! The British are not citizens, we're subjects of HM; a citizen, as I was taught, is a person who is of and from a republic.

Meh
I fear you are slightly out of date - well, since 1981.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1981/61

British Citizen:

"Part IBritish Citizenship
Acquisition after commencement
F1, or in a qualifying territory on or after the appointed day,] shall be a British citizen if at the time of the birth his father or mother is—"

British Subject:

"British Subjects
30Continuance as British subjects of existing British subjects of certain descriptions.
A person who immediately before commencement was—

M8British Nationality Act 1965 (registration of alien women who have been married to British subjects of certain descriptions),

shall as from commencement be a British subject by virtue of this section. "

In what way did Willy and George being cousins, and Chamberlain and Hitler being "bezzers" over the Sudentenland, increase our influence over Europe?

Go back to what we've always done: largely minding our business and making the odd bit of mischief; oh and stop subsidising the development of competitors (though the EU euphemises it as "partners").

Because that is not what we have done for several centuries.

Not as foolish as someone who fails to understand... well... anything, really. Citizenship. Accountability. Legislation. All designed to confuse the unwary Leaver, clearly!

But full marks for trying to plough on. You must be jolly tired by now! :-D
Subject (of/to) Citizen (of/from)
I really think you need to brush up on your classical studies/history to fully understand the nuances of those two nouns. The British are "subjects" of HM and are "subject" to the laws of the land (verb and noun. I'll leave you to work out how that applies to laws applicable to a citizen.

You can put a wig and lipstick on a sow and call her Seka for all I care but I still wouldn't -- even with yours.

Not as foolish as someone who fails to understand... well... anything, really. Citizenship. Accountability. Legislation. All designed to confuse the unwary Leaver, clearly!

But full marks for trying to plough on. You must be jolly tired by now! :-D
Dream on petit chaussette.
How about the wary Leaver then?
What will confuse them?
(Answers please without the obviously sneering tone.)

Not if I disagree with your (wrong) contention that the EU is a state. None of the definitions describe the EU, indeed they do very well in describing what the EU is not. The EU does not occupy any territory, you may get away with the Collins definition but really that would be a spurious interpretation!

But you just dream on as with you it is obviously a state of mind! ;)
Perhaps this source is wrong, misunderstood or misinterpreted?

EU not a state.
Introduction: The EU - A Political System, but not a State - EU Learning

Subject (of/to) Citizen (of/from)
I really think you need to brush up on your classical studies/history to fully understand the nuances of those two nouns. The British are "subjects" of HM and are "subject" to the laws of the land (verb and noun. I'll leave you to work out how that applies to laws applicable to a citizen.

You can put a wig and lipstick on a sow and call her Seka for all I care but I still wouldn't -- even with yours.
While we can pontificate all you desire, I'm afraid the law is remarkably black and white. :-D

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Federation seems closer than state! But for a more accurate description "try money sucking undemocratic body of professional politicians".

Not if I disagree with your (wrong) contention that the EU is a state. None of the definitions describe the EU, indeed they do very well in describing what the EU is not. The EU does not occupy any territory, you may get away with the Collins definition but really that would be a spurious interpretation!

But you just dream on as with you it is obviously a state of mind! ;)
Fair point on the state - dictionary definitions are useful in debunking earlier Tired_Tech guff, but I don't think the EU is a state either. I am though an EU citizen and a bunch of grumpy old leavers whinging about 'us', 'them' and passports is not going to change that. Ahhh...wrong... a bunch of grumpy old leavers whinging about 'us','them' and passports definitely did change that. Bugger.

On that note, I found some really optimistic financial prediction for post Brexit UK in the Express earlier. The happy note relied on the fact that companies will be pushed in to more efficient operations because there will be fewer employees, which is an interesting take:

BREXIT BOOM: Surge in UK investment after EU exit as firms to spend less on European staff

(I note the dramatics - BREXIT BOOM. Doesn't add to the credibility which is a shame).

Last edited:

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Fair point on the state - dictionary definitions are useful in debunking earlier Tired_Tech guff, but I don't think the EU is a state either. I am though an EU citizen and a bunch of grumpy old leavers whinging about 'us', 'them' and passports is not going to change that. Ahhh...unfortunately I won't be for long because a bunch of grumpy old leavers whinging about 'us','them' and passports definitely did change that.
To quote Higgsy and baggy, on several occasions:

WE AIN'T LEFT YET! :p

We are all pissing in the wind on this thread, the UK is negotiating to leave, I say we
are leaving, you say we are staying or going back into the EU in the future.
There you have it in a nut shell
You innocent minded wizened old folks just don't get it

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Federation seems closer than state! But for a more accurate description "try money sucking undemocratic body of professional politicians".
I'd even disagree with the term "professional" especially after some of the antics that have been reported!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.