Results are in and it is leave the EU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
OK, I was intrigured by the citizenship thing, so I bring you Good CO's amazing EU citizenship proof. From a bar. In the EU. Where I may or may not be a citizen.

Cambridge dictionary:

a person who is a member of a particular country and who has rightsbecause of being born there or because of being given rights, or a person wholives in a particular town or city

Not a citizen of a state affiliated to the political body known as the EU. :(

Oxford:

Citizen: A legally recognized subject or national of a state or commonwealth, either native or naturalized

State: A nation or territory considered as an organized political community under one government

Citizen of a country under one government a affiliated a to the non-governmented EU. :)

Mirriam-Webster:

Citizen: a member of a state

State: a politically organized body of people usually occupying a definite territory

Citizen of a country under one government affiliated to the non-governmented EU :)

Collins:

a native registered or naturalized member of a state, nation, or other political community

Citizen of a country under one government affiliated to the non-governmented EU :)

That's three to one in favour of me being a citizen.

Added to that, in the context of ARRSE Brexit discussions:

"I think therefore I am (a citizen of the EU)"
Nice try. The EU is a highly political body but it is not a state. It has a governing body but no body to govern as it passes in laws for member states to implement.

Your passport may be headed EUROPEAN UNION but is not issued by the EU. If you still hold a UK passport you will note that it is Her Britannic Majesty's Secretary of State who demands free passage without let or hindrance, not the EU.

You are a citizen of the relevant member state, not the EU, regardless of how loudly Brussels shouts that from the rafters.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
here's some good 'ol common sense and reality to illustrate why that was a stupid post that does in no way support your odd take on this:

citizen of nato - Google-Suche

citizen of rome - Google-Suche

citizen of european union - Google-Suche

They show the reality of what is out there in the world using the respective titles. Citizen of Rome? Lots of those. Citizen of the European Union? Lots of those. Citizen of the United Nations? A few spurious references to world citizens (now that really light your 'them and us' fire). Citizen of Nato. Nothing.
Citizen of ARRSE?

So they live as an example that they are not in it for themselves.

It's not really that difficult. Ask Dennis Skinner MP.

Lowest expenses, highest turn out in the commons, highest turn out in the constituency I believe.
I actually admire Dennis for the very reasons you highlight.

But we ought to bear in mind that he has been spared the opportunity of being anything other than a good constituency MP.

Moving up in the ranks does involve more grey areas, and the necessity to compromise.

Unless of course things start going pear shaped for an increasing number of those who imagined that leaving would enrich their lives ?

Whilst I'm perfectly happy to accept that many who would wish to leave, do so as a result of convictions deeply held, it remains the case that the 'Win' was likely achieved with the input of those who do no such thing. Should the floating voters change their minds, then it'll be an about turn, albeit with much window dressing.
Not ideal as a remain vote, but if you roll turds around in glitter enough, someone will mistake it for a diamond necklace.

It'll take some spin, but I reckon given a vote on some brexit-lite terms to the electorate, they'll take that over the impending oblivion

I think that a website should be set up showing expenses claimed, an annual total (FY and rolling), an average (annual and monthly), and a 'top 10', 'top 50' and 'bottom 50'.

This is OUR money that THEY are spending.
I think that is a good idea

OK, I was intrigured by the citizenship thing, so I bring you Good CO's amazing EU citizenship proof. From a bar. In the EU. Where I may or may not be a citizen.

Cambridge dictionary:

a person who is a member of a particular country and who has rightsbecause of being born there or because of being given rights, or a person wholives in a particular town or city

Not a citizen :(

Oxford:

Citizen: A legally recognized subject or national of a state or commonwealth, either native or naturalized

State: A nation or territory considered as an organized political community under one government

Citizen :)

Mirriam-Webster:

Citizen: a member of a state

State: a politically organized body of people usually occupying a definite territory

Collins:

a native registered or naturalized member of a state, nation, or other political community

That's three to one in favour of me being a citizen.

Added to that, in the context of ARRSE Brexit discussions:

"I think therefore I am (a citizen of the EU)"

Cough! The British are not citizens, we're subjects of HM; a citizen, as I was taught, is a person who is of and from a republic.

Meh

Nice try. The EU is a highly political body but it is not a state.
You guys need to stick to a story.

If you want to throw dictionary definitions around, stupid and pointless, but OK. In that case you also need to accept dictionary definitions which make it pretty clear in all but one of four cases that the EU is a state.

here's some good 'ol common sense and reality to illustrate why that was a stupid post that does in no way support your odd take on this:

citizen of rome - Google-Suche

citizen of european union - Google-Suche

They show the reality of what is out there in the world using the respective titles. Citizen of Rome? Lots of those. Citizen of the European Union? Lots of those. Citizen of the United Nations? A few spurious references to world citizens (now that really light your 'them and us' fire). Citizen of Nato. Nothing.

Given that the dictionary proof of non-existence of EU citizenship has been debunked and that real life is conclusive that EU citizens exist, I think you should give it up.
You can be a citizen of the EU, until we leave.

I'll continue being a Brit.

And, yes, I'm damn proud of being British.

Seem to recall that there was some suggestion that UK Citizens might be able to retain EU citizenship in return for some charge.

At the time those who wish no escape from collective penury, let loose a brick, and the idea seemed to disappear.

If I were the EU, and in view of the nerve it touched, I would certainly bring the idea back to the table at some future point :)
You can have dual-nationality here but as far as I know no one has an "EU" nationality. It's bollox.

If you want to throw dictionary definitions around, stupid and pointless, but OK. In that case you also need to accept dictionary definitions which make it pretty clear in all but one of four cases that the EU is a state.

I read on here that it is a dictatorship which we voted to leave.

Odd, but true.

Thank you. I'll stick to being British. I have no desire to be part of a Grosse Deutchland nor anything that is dominated by the Boxes. Ta.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor

Not if I disagree with your (wrong) contention that the EU is a state. None of the definitions describe the EU, indeed they do very well in describing what the EU is not. The EU does not occupy any territory, you may get away with the Collins definition but really that would be a spurious interpretation!

But you just dream on as with you it is obviously a state of mind! ;)

We are all pissing in the wind on this thread, the UK is negotiating to leave, I say we
are leaving, you say we are staying or going back into the EU in the future.
There you have it in a nut shell

On the contrary. I don't argue that we will re-join. I'm saying we either won't leave or we'll leave in a manner that looks remarkably like membership.

Cough! The British are not citizens, we're subjects of HM; a citizen, as I was taught, is a person who is of and from a republic.
Old school, and there's nothing wrong with that :)

I think the usage has been drifted to give a more inclusive feel.

Or maybe to confound yanks who insist on using the 'Subject' nomenclature as a means of Proving that they're so much luckier than we are :)

Read the rest of the post you half quoted.

You will find the answer you seek there.

And, yes. You are a fool.
Not as foolish as someone who fails to understand... well... anything, really. Citizenship. Accountability. Legislation. All designed to confuse the unwary Leaver, clearly!

But full marks for trying to plough on. You must be jolly tired by now! :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.