Restraint for pay unless you're an MP

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by brighton hippy, Jul 1, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. 32% pay rise for mps yeah thats going to go well.
    The poor overworked dears.
    Tbf less " good ideas" from parliment the better.

2. I heard it was up to £10,000 - taking backbenchers up to £70,000pa.

3. CplFoodspoiler

CplFoodspoiler War Hero Book Reviewer

Ah, but please do not forget; we (read you) are all in this together. A 10% rise is coming your way too! In the column marked 'outgoings'.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Take note in how the news is being spun.

Apparently Dave can do sod all about it implying that he would stop it if he could.

Dave is probably behind it.......... That slimy git Vaz was just on the box saying the sun shines out of ITSA arse and they should be allowed to get on with it.

5. So Dave has the final say on the AFPRB with regards to AF pay, but has no final say with regards to MP's pay? Bullshit!

MP's are public sector workers, so should receive the same pay rise as other public sector workers.

Well look who the IPSA board are.

Board members and Chief Executive

Two knighthoods - Beneficiaries of the system.

Ex-MP - Nuff said.

Speaker (I presume this means speaker of the house) nuff said

Oh! And two brew bitches.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Saw that- it was just after the bit where he was pontificating about the police- what experience does he have of policing?
    He didn't answer either when asked if he would refuse any extra pay. Not that I'm against a pay increase for MPs, it would be ridiculous if a council chief exec was paid more that the local MP- many are paid more than the Prime Minister. I'm also in favour of MPs carrying out extra-curricular paid work but I think that every non-executive directorship should be balanced by some sort of charitable undertaking, which I know some do already.

7. And the rest:-

Free house in London - anybody else would be taxed on that.
    Free travel to work - see above
    Five million quid subsidy for food and booze in Parliament - See Eric Joyce
    Attendance is optional - See Gordon Brown, George Galloway, Nadine Dorries, Stuart Bell etc etc

• Like Like x 3
  8. MPs have long been hugely underpaid.

Thats just the way it is.

The payrise has not been recommended by them in any case; its done by an independent body.

• Like Like x 2
  9. I suppose in terms of supply and demand there are fewer of them than there are Premiership footballers.

But it really does sound quite, quite insane.

10. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

To put in context, MPs are paid at the equivalent rate of a Major at the top of his/her scale. Add in exs and it is probably equal to a senior Lt Col/ colonel.

11. If they're worth it give it to them. But they're not.

• Like Like x 1
  12. I suppose an Army officer would be paid if they never turned of for work as they had other paid work to do.
    Perhaps that's a question for G. Brown.

13. We would all be better off if they had a sort of non-performance pay...double their salary to stay at home and keep schtumm. Tony Soprano would have approved I am sure.

• Like Like x 2