Resting heart rate??

#1
i know the fitter you are the lower your resting heart rate should be
but does anyone know numbers
e.g if you have say 80 resting its good or if you have 70 its execellent
so can someone help me please??
 
#2
Obviously the lower the better, but 60 is good.
 
#3
umm would imagine its much lower than that my resting heart rate is 46 bpm, but I would imagine your age has a bearing on this too, if its 80 your most likely a bit of a biff
 
#4
Some top athletes have resting rates of under 40 bpm.

70-80 is your average I believe.
 
#6
Indurian, cyclist from early 90's ish (I think) had the lowest resting heart rate recorded about 34 or something ridiculous, cyclists CV fitness is just unreal
 
#7
jack04040 said:
Indurian, cyclist from early 90's ish (I think) had the lowest resting heart rate recorded about 34 or something ridiculous, cyclists CV fitness is just unreal
Miguel Indurain's was 28, low thirties is average for a professional cyclist.
 
#9
Put yourself in suspended animation, that will get your heart rate right down!
 
#10
Mine used to be 36 bpm, but it was a looooong time ago.

I had an operation under a general anasthetic in an NHS hospital after an injury & woke up in the intensive care unit. They'd never had a patient with a similar heart rate and so stuck me in with the critically ill to be on the safe side.
 
#11
As someone said above, 65-75 is probably average for most young men. 60 or lower is good; very fit people (especially cyclists and free divers, who both need large stroke volumes) have very low resting rates.

FF.
 
#12
Onetap said:
Mine used to be 36 bpm, but it was a looooong time ago.

I had an operation under a general anasthetic in an NHS hospital after an injury & woke up in the intensive care unit. They'd never had a patient with a similar heart rate and so stuck me in with the critically ill to be on the safe side.
I had a lad collapse on me and when the ambulance arrived the paramedics hooked him up to the machines and his bpm was around 28. I looks at paramedic and raises an eyebrow and he says ' 28 bpm can be quite normal' I says 'not on a 16 stone 20 a day smoker with a drink problem mate'. He agreed. :D
 
#15
I didn't mean to suggest the reverse is true: Just because you have a low resting rate doesn't mean you are fit.

For example, you might just be on beta-blockers / digoxin / need a pacemaker to keep you alive and it happens to be set at 60.

All chickens are birds, not all birds are chickens. Pretty much every very fit person has a low heart rate. Not everyone with a low heart rate is fit - it's zero when you are dead, FFS.

;)

FF
 
#17
ottar said:
jack04040 said:
Indurian, cyclist from early 90's ish (I think) had the lowest resting heart rate recorded about 34 or something ridiculous, cyclists CV fitness is just unreal
Miguel Indurain's was 28, low thirties is average for a professional cyclist.
To be fair he had a slightly enlarged heart and the lung capacity of a whale. Even in the cycling he was considered a bit of a freak.
 
#18
bobath said:
ottar said:
jack04040 said:
Indurian, cyclist from early 90's ish (I think) had the lowest resting heart rate recorded about 34 or something ridiculous, cyclists CV fitness is just unreal
Miguel Indurain's was 28, low thirties is average for a professional cyclist.
To be fair he had a slightly enlarged heart and the lung capacity of a whale. Even in the cycling he was considered a bit of a freak.
Surely runners would be lower than cyclists? I always thought running was a better workout.
 
#19
5.56mm said:
bobath said:
ottar said:
jack04040 said:
Indurian, cyclist from early 90's ish (I think) had the lowest resting heart rate recorded about 34 or something ridiculous, cyclists CV fitness is just unreal
Miguel Indurain's was 28, low thirties is average for a professional cyclist.
To be fair he had a slightly enlarged heart and the lung capacity of a whale. Even in the cycling he was considered a bit of a freak.
Surely runners would be lower than cyclists? I always thought running was a better workout.
Ever done a tour de france? Tis a bit like running 20 marathons over 22 days.
 
#20
devilish said:
5.56mm said:
bobath said:
ottar said:
jack04040 said:
Indurian, cyclist from early 90's ish (I think) had the lowest resting heart rate recorded about 34 or something ridiculous, cyclists CV fitness is just unreal
Miguel Indurain's was 28, low thirties is average for a professional cyclist.
To be fair he had a slightly enlarged heart and the lung capacity of a whale. Even in the cycling he was considered a bit of a freak.
Surely runners would be lower than cyclists? I always thought running was a better workout.
Ever done a tour de france? Tis a bit like running 20 marathons over 22 days.
No, have you?. I have always thought cycling wasnt as hard on the heart rate as running though.
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top