Resting Heart Rate

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Tartan_Terrier, Sep 29, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Having developed a sudden interest in all things cardiological, I measured my resting heart rate this morning (57 if you're interested).

Now I have heard that RHR is usually a fair guide of fitness, but am not sure how true this, as I know that people's heart rates can vary quite a bit. So I thought I'd ask the presumably reasonably fit bunch of people who frequent ARRSE.

What's your resting heart rate, and how does it relate to your age and fitness level?

While I'm at it, what's your max heart rate? Preferrably actual rather than theoretical

T_T

2. Your fitness is gauged by how quickly your heart rate returns from it's working BPM, to your RHR.

3. A long time ago, when I was in & fit, my resting heart rate was below 40 bpm. You may disbelieve that if you like, it makes no odds to me; it was.

I had a minor operation requiring a general anaestetic and woke up in intensive care wired up to a monitor. It seemed that the heart rate was uncommon enough to make the surgeon a little concerned and he didn't want to take any chances.

Now I'm a fat cnut. Mea culpa.

4. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

My resting is 55 and my max 190 - as measured by my Polar kit. I'm a fit fecker but I have known others to better me both ways who are not. If you are serious about measuring yourself then there are better tests to use as benchmarks - but it is a good result you have!

5. 46 bpm - 52bpm on average.

I would only just pass a BPFA these days, although my excuse is I'm now a civvy.

6. I have a low resting heart rate, normall 40-45BPM which sets of the alarm on heart rate monitors whenever I have a test.

I'm not fit at all, and a bit of a fat cnut, when I run it shoots up to 200+ very quickly :( which is not very good

Resting heart rate is supposed to be a good indicator but it's certianly not in my case

7. I'm 25 and mine is 88bpm. Has always been very fast, no idea why; I'm pretty lean. I've never seen it go above 182bpm on machines at the gym.

8. My rarely tested Rested HR usually comes in at 38 bpm, Resting HR is usually about 46 bpm and my Max HR is 218. My heartrate now is 57 bpm (having ridden for 120 mins at threshold this afternoon; back to normal by the morning). My lactate threshold/pulse deflection kicks in at just over 195. Basically I can pedal at about 198 bpm for about an hour before my head pops and I wake up in the gutter with regurgitated PSP22 and small chunks of banana all over my skinsuit.

Everyone is unique; your HR is only ever relative to yourself. So, in isolation, a low resting HR is not especially useful data.

Furthermore, the oft-quoted 220 minus your age thing is a v.faulty devise for calculating MHR. Indeed, that would make me 35 years younger.

Incidentally, HR is so '90s. Power output (wattage) is the new HR.

Oh, and I'm 37 and need every second of my 11.5 mins to pass the BPFA.

9. A better gauge as to your working HR takes into account your resting HR and your ag rather then 220-age.

I always liked the Karvonen heart rate analysis found as a alternative method here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heart_rate

Or just google Karvonen heart rate analysis.

As for your original question Tartan, HR varies dramatically with long distance training and genetics.
    Having a low HR can mean your heart is dominated by slow twitch muscles (genetically determined, although can be influenced by high volume aerobic work), but will usually end up performing poorly at higher heart rates (ie you can run and run and run at say 8 min miles, but try to break the 6 min mile for multiple miles and you're buggared)

Usually, depending on the sport, having a mid point HR is most benefical. For example boxers or MMAists (especially the latter) tend to perform better at high 40's-mid 50's in terms of hr, such that they can recover well and go for time, but also have the power and fitness to work at higher HR's as the sport requires. A good reason why a boxer can be a good runner, but a runner cannot be a good boxer (fitness wise, I'm not bringing other thins into it like weight restrictions).

10. Sounds like me. Can run / tab for miles and miles but cant do sprints to save my life even with trainng.

11. But I bet you're recovery is excellent and you're ready to half ass another sprint sooner then the other guy who ran faster.

edit- Just a suggestion.

Get a HR monitor and see how you're HR is during your runs.
    If it's up in the 160's-170's, I would try something I've been doing in the last year as I found I had plateaued myself.

If you find your HR remains high during your runs, start running but keeping the pace to 140-150 at the most. It seems bloody slow, but after a few months, the slow twitch muscles will adapt and take up a higher workload, then you can attack the fast twitch muscles via sprint work (or speed work if it's a speed running issue). To run fast you need more rest between runs, by sprinting again and again when you're not fully rested, you train you CNS to fire less efficiently, and hence, you run slower.

Alternatively, if you're HR is around 140 during you're runs, sprint more but rest more fully, but again, it all depends on your goals (running faster or being able to work for longer at a higher heart rate).

12. RHR around 47 max HR circa 180 (again, using Polar HR monitor and Karvonen method).

Age 42
    Last MSFT (beep test) level 11.9
    and can run for fekkin miles at around 90 to 95% max HR which used to worry the fcuk out of me but I've now got used to it.

As Ian1983 says, you can't really take HR as an indication on its own of fitness/ health although its no bad basic benchmark. Ayone who watched Comic Reliefs' climb up Kilimanjaro will have seen that the 'healthiest' HR of the group of celebs was Chris Moyles, beating Ben Sheppard from GMTV who keeps himself pretty fit/ does marathons etc!

13. So... if my RHR is faster than most, does that make me unfit?

14. Not necesa, ness, nesesca...probably not :oops:

15. Without any further information, I would say yes.

Prepare to have a heart attack. in 3, 2.....