Restaurants of Versailles

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by Cuddles, Apr 6, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Fortune in the form of gainful employ has me travelling to Versailles on a regular basis. Like all good agents used to operating solo in a hostile, well French, operational environment I choose to go deep cover and get off the beaten Anglo/German tourist track ASAP!

A by-product of my trips here is a growing database of where to go and where to say "No". It seems only fair to share this intelligence with you all...

Where to go
    Le Baladin de St Louis - very nice bistro with a mixture of traditional and modern dishes. Typically French but in a light touch...unlike

Le Chien qui fume - very art deco in style and very bourgeois in cuisine. you won't get up hungry here but you may need help to rise from your place. Atmospheric.

Le boeuf a la mode - like stepping into the 1930s. Take a book by Alan Furst! Eat beef ribs...a carnivore's paradise. Sales directors eat here, enough said! A stone's throw from Le chien qui fume in the Market district.

Au chapeau gris - brasserie/bistro style for tourists on a budget but pleasant enough

Say no!
    Le Limousin (rue de Satory) - looks the part but I was practically given a pint mug of oil and a pile of soggy potatoes to wash down my badly burnt confit de canard. 40 Euro of sh1te. Shame it seems to have character etc. Maybe I should have had the lamb off the joint?

That fcuking pizza place opposite the RER

That fcuking Mexican place next to the bus station - why oh why do I let 23 year olds who have never been out of Cardiff tell me this sort of place is any good and go with them??

I also advise against eatinbg in the hotel Pullman. The food isn't bad as such just overpriced. Head out into the Cathedral area or the Market area (rue de Marechal Foch/rue de Paroisse/rue Duclis) and follow your instincts. As a rule if it looks touristy - it probably is.