• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Responsibilty to protect

The resposibity to protect comes from God

• Yes it does. At the end of the day, borders and boundaries are a manmade creation.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No. Every nation has a sovereign right to do what it wants, when it wants. So long as it is within i

• Who cares? If it does not affect my way of life, let them figure the way out by themselves.

• Total voters
Responsibility to Protect (R2P) is a recently developed concept in international relations which relates to a state's responsibilities towards its population and to the international community's responsibility in case a state fails to fulfil its responsibilities. One important aim, among others, is to provide a legal and ethical basis for "humanitarian intervention" : the intervention by external actors (preferably the international community through the UN) in a state that is unwilling or unable to prevent or stop genocide, massive killings and other massive human rights violations.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Responsibility_to_protect

This has been done before but the aim here is to move it from Burma to the rest of the world.

The UN has a charter that guarantees that we, as a part of humanity should never have to suffer needlessly and excessively because of our goverments, elected or othereise.

How should nations exercise this right against other nations?

That is a sticky wicket, mate.

I am tempted to answer yes, with Burma in mind, but then look at what has happened in Iraq under the guise of 'freeing the Iraqi people and bringing them democracy at the point of a gun' (well, all right, first was about finding non-existent WMD).