Response to the BBC story on life expectancy differences between US and UK

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by jumpinjarhead, Jul 13, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A medical doctor friend of mine sent this to me today:

I have noted elsewhere on these fora and readily concede we have become largely a country of lethargic fatsos more self absorbed than any previous generation to the point they are allowing the progressivists in power and behind the green curtain to incrementally take away our basic rights and freedoms in exchange for the mediocre and "grayness" of of centralized govenmental control and largess in taking care of their every need so they can continue to watch the next idiotic reality show while consuming massive quantities of unhealthy food and drink.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Wow, you took the link I put up and showed it to a medical friend of yours?! Have you not learned yet to take articles published by the British media with a mid-to-huge dose of salt?

3. "Wow, you took the link I put up and showed it to a medical friend of yours?! Have you not learned yet to take articles published by the British media with a mid-to-huge dose of salt?"

SALT!! Very bad for the blood pressure and will lower life expectancy!!Actually JJH is correct. There are certain conditions with high incidence in the Afro-American community, especially high blood pressure, that lower life expectancy.

4. Salt is bad you say? Not so,say the boffins!
    Salt safe to eat, says study - Times Of India

5. JJH, I assume your doctor friend is white rather than black?

6. [​IMG]

America! Fat yeah!

7. Tsk. Dangerous racist ideology.

8. Lest I assume incorrectly as to the intent of your post before responding, can you clarify your intent please?

9. Oh joy, the medical fraternity do more U turns than a dodgem car on a bank holiday.

Alcohol bad, oops, good, in moderation.
    Full English breakfast bad , oops good
    Drink lots of water, oops makes no difference
    Secondary smoking bad, oops possibly not.

The list of shite the medics pump out, and then change their minds about is staggering, statins have cropped up as well, hooray for Thalidomide! Although to be fair, it seems to be various professional groups rather than individual docs.

Still as far as Glaxo-Kline is concerned, all those seminars, bring your (cough cough) secretary has been money well invested.

Mind you There are a lot of plump Americans.

10. Almost as bad as "scientists" who cannot make up theirs minds about whether we have global warming or cooling!

11. They have made up their minds (sort of...), they call it "Global Change"...

Covers all evils then, still our fault which ever way the temperature goes...

• Like Like x 1

12. Good one! We are in agreement.

13. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I've seen creatures like that in Portsmouth and many other parts of the UK. They're usually smoking as well!

14. Those of African-American ancestry in US according to official figures is 8.8% of the population; Mexican ancestry 6.5% of the population. So if your friend’s figures on death rates by race are accurate then a fair percentage of the earlier black deaths are offset by the longer-living Hispanics. (Not forgetting that the UK also has significant population of people of African descent.)

Filipinos racially classed as Hispanic? Oh come on.

When this subject was debated in the US a couple of years back, I seem to remember one Senator suggesting that the life expectancy difference between the US and Europe was more the result of accidents than health, e.g. deaths due to road traffic accidents in the US, 12.3 people per 100,000 population, compared to 3.59 per 100,000 population in the UK.