Response to the BBC story on life expectancy differences between US and UK

A medical doctor friend of mine sent this to me today:

[FONT=&quot]This BBC article about about US life expectancy is a boatload of politically correct crap .

They write:

"...the authors point to high rates of obesity, tobacco use and other preventable risk factors for an early death as the leading drivers of the gap between the US and other nations."

"...the US has not been as tough as Australia in restricting tobacco advertising and public smoking."

"The US could also save 100,000 lives a year by reducing salt in people's diets."

"...more even distribution of wealth, even if the average were lower, could mean longer lives for everyone."

"...parts of Mississippi have a male life expectancy of 67, behind nations like the Philippines."

Now here are some facts.

The difference in life expectancy between the US and the United Kingdom is 1.4 years British men live 1.4 years longer the Americans and British women live 0.7 yeas longer they Americans, for an average of 1.05 years longer for people in the UK.

In the US, blacks live 5.166 years less than whites, and since blacks and mulattos make up about 15% of the US population, which alone reduces average US life expectancy by 0.775 years, which explains the 74% of the difference. Major reasons blacks have shorter life spans are:
much higher rates of AIDs among blacks
much higher rates of murder among blacks
much higher rates of accidental death among blacks
careful studies show than when adjusted for all risk factors, blacks simply live shorter lives than whites because of genetic differences.

The BBC article mentions that Mississippi has a life expectancy below that of the Philippines. Guess which state has the highest percentage of blacks? Mississippi has 38% blacks.

Notice the BBC article picks the Philippines as a third-world country to compare to Mississippi. They don't mention what is known as the "Hispanic paradox". The paradox is that Hispanics (such as the inhabitants of the Philippines) live longer than whites. In the US, Hispanics live an average of 2.642 years longer than whites. Liberals who like to blame short lifespans on poverty, obesity, and lack of available quality health care don't want people to know about the Hispanic paradox, but it's true. Again, genetic differences between races produce different life expectancies and not the politically correct crap spooned up by the BBC.

Black-White Life Expectancy Gap -- US Life Expectancy Disparity

The Hispanic Paradox | The Incidental Economist [/FONT]
I have noted elsewhere on these fora and readily concede we have become largely a country of lethargic fatsos more self absorbed than any previous generation to the point they are allowing the progressivists in power and behind the green curtain to incrementally take away our basic rights and freedoms in exchange for the mediocre and "grayness" of of centralized govenmental control and largess in taking care of their every need so they can continue to watch the next idiotic reality show while consuming massive quantities of unhealthy food and drink.

Wow, you took the link I put up and showed it to a medical friend of yours?! Have you not learned yet to take articles published by the British media with a mid-to-huge dose of salt?

"Wow, you took the link I put up and showed it to a medical friend of yours?! Have you not learned yet to take articles published by the British media with a mid-to-huge dose of salt?"

SALT!! Very bad for the blood pressure and will lower life expectancy!!Actually JJH is correct. There are certain conditions with high incidence in the Afro-American community, especially high blood pressure, that lower life expectancy.

"Wow, you took the link I put up and showed it to a medical friend of yours?! Have you not learned yet to take articles published by the British media with a mid-to-huge dose of salt?"

SALT!! Very bad for the blood pressure and will lower life expectancy!!Actually JJH is correct. There are certain conditions with high incidence in the Afro-American community, especially high blood pressure, that lower life expectancy.
Salt is bad you say? Not so,say the boffins!
Salt safe to eat, says study - Times Of India

I have noted elsewhere on these fora and readily concede we have become largely a country of lethargic fatsos more self absorbed than any previous generation to the point they are allowing the progressivists in power and behind the green curtain to incrementally take away our basic rights and freedoms in exchange for the mediocre and "grayness" of of centralized govenmental control and largess in taking care of their every need so they can continue to watch the next idiotic reality show while consuming massive quantities of unhealthy food and drink.
Tsk. Dangerous racist ideology.

Oh joy, the medical fraternity do more U turns than a dodgem car on a bank holiday.

Alcohol bad, oops, good, in moderation.
Full English breakfast bad , oops good
Drink lots of water, oops makes no difference
Secondary smoking bad, oops possibly not.

The list of shite the medics pump out, and then change their minds about is staggering, statins have cropped up as well, hooray for Thalidomide! Although to be fair, it seems to be various professional groups rather than individual docs.

Still as far as Glaxo-Kline is concerned, all those seminars, bring your (cough cough) secretary has been money well invested.

Mind you There are a lot of plump Americans.

Oh joy, the medical fraternity do more U turns than a dodgem car on a bank holiday.

Alcohol bad, oops, good, in moderation.
Full English breakfast bad , oops good
Drink lots of water, oops makes no difference
Secondary smoking bad, oops possibly not.

The list of shite the medics pump out, and then change their minds about is staggering, statins have cropped up as well, hooray for Thalidomide! Although to be fair, it seems to be various professional groups rather than individual docs.

Stillas far as Glaxo-Kline is concerned, all those seminars, bring your (cough cough) secretary has been money well invested.

Mind you There are a lot of plump A

Almost as bad as "scientists" who cannot make up theirs minds about whether we have global warming or cooling!

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

Those of African-American ancestry in US according to official figures is 8.8% of the population; Mexican ancestry 6.5% of the population. So if your friend’s figures on death rates by race are accurate then a fair percentage of the earlier black deaths are offset by the longer-living Hispanics. (Not forgetting that the UK also has significant population of people of African descent.)

Filipinos racially classed as Hispanic? Oh come on.

When this subject was debated in the US a couple of years back, I seem to remember one Senator suggesting that the life expectancy difference between the US and Europe was more the result of accidents than health, e.g. deaths due to road traffic accidents in the US, 12.3 people per 100,000 population, compared to 3.59 per 100,000 population in the UK.

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
you lot do realise that 74.78% of all statistics are made up on the spot right? And therefore can be manipulated to support almost any viewpoint....

I know its probably correct English, but nobody says "fora"... its forums surely ? your engrish does make me laugh JJh.

I know its probably correct English, but nobody says "fora"... its forums surely ? your engrish does make me laugh JJh.
To be fair, his "English" is probably a lot more correct that an Englishman's "English" is! If you examine the etymology of words that our cousins spell/use differently to us, in a lot of cases you will find that they are correct and we have just fallen into bad habits.Won't stop me ranting about the use of the word "gotten" though...

are you calling my pint a poof !?

To be fair, his "English" is probably a lot more correct that an Englishman's "English" is! If you examine the etymology of words that our cousins spell/use differently to us, in a lot of cases you will find that they are correct and we have just fallen into bad habits.Won't stop me ranting about the use of the word "gotten" though...
Are you familiar with Viz characters Grey maf ? theres one called mr logic...