Respirator for Covid-19

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I've got my Survive to Fight kicking around somewhere, and NBC was my favourite thingy when I wore green baggy skin for a living.
I loved NBC when I was in a Colpro environment! Otherwise carrying the fecking stretchers was not so much fun

Mesaboogie

Swinger
Th NHS is what it is. It's been a political battlefield for years. There are no what ifs in this game. Controlling the lock down is key, turning the tap on and off. This is one area where politics has interfered with Scientific advise. For instance during the 1918-19 Flu, Woodrow Wilsons Government kept the schools open, and found it was a good way to monitor the population. This is being used by the Swedish Government, while others are going by WHO protocols, that advocate quick lock down to stop spreading, but risk an out of control surge once restrictions are relaxed.

The 1918-19 Flu pandemic is our best case to look at for this. There are already parallels to it in the numbers of deaths that have happened, due to cultural and religious issues. Only then it was spread by ships, rather than Aircraft , making the flash to bang much shorter now that before.

Anyone that is interested in this (1918-19 Pandemic) I would Recommend the book "Pale Rider" by Laura Spinney as it not only covers the Pandemic in a way that a layman (Like myself) can understand. But looks at it from the world view, rather than (As other books on the subject) just the US or European experience, from where the most accurate data is known. Again as a bit of context The 1918- 19 Flu is believed to have killed as many as 50 to 100 million, manly in its more deadly second wave, where it killed the young and strong, by triggering a reaction in their immune systems.

SARs-C2 /COVID- 19 is this seasons big thing, but we have seen it before, just not in are own life times. I predict that there will be PHD thesis for years to come about it, from dealing with it. But also to the effect of media such as Walking Dead, 28 Days later Et Al on the psychological reaction of the public to the crises.

Interesting point about the impact that media is having on the public's reaction. The idea of a viral pandemic wiping out humanity has been ingrained in our minds for years now. I've heard people reference Walking Dead many times already. That being said, the public reaction has been as expected, people will panic buy, leading to shortages. which in turn leads to a rise in criminality ( black market goods both stolen and counterfeit). Eventually, if continued we will see civil disobedience. IMO for that reason this lock down won't last and they will have to find a way to ease restrictions even at the risk of this virus returning and killing a lot of people. The impact of destroying the economy and mass disobedience outweigh the impact of the virus in the long term.

Slightly different topic but the British Government are now recommending that the wearing of face masks by the general public is not going to help:

From bbc co.uk : Asked whether face masks were effective, England's deputy chief medical officer Prof Jonathan Van-Tam said "there is no evidence that general wearing of face masks by the public who are well affects the spread of the disease in our society"

Strange thing is the Americans have a very different opinion:

Soooo who is to say who is right and who is wrong?

Either way I have stopped looking for a respirator and am staying at home...

Troy

LE
Speaking quite seriously, there are many people employed in such trades as Asbestos Removal. Who wear respirators at work, have them face fitted, know about filters & PPE, decontamination, and disposal of contaminated items. I'm surprised that we haven't been hearing from them and seeing them stroll around the shops in their yellow phantom masks (other brands are available).

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
There are some very odd people on this site ;-)
If you read my entire quote it states when in colpro. Collective protection., therefore not individual suits

Slightly different topic but the British Government are now recommending that the wearing of face masks by the general public is not going to help:

From bbc co.uk : Asked whether face masks were effective, England's deputy chief medical officer Prof Jonathan Van-Tam said "there is no evidence that general wearing of face masks by the public who are well affects the spread of the disease in our society"

Strange thing is the Americans have a very different opinion:

Soooo who is to say who is right and who is wrong?

Either way I have stopped looking for a respirator and am staying at home...
Face masks have little effect in a general population. They have some important effect only if there is close face to face contact, for example, between a nurse or medic and a patient where both should wear a mask. This is because the mask can catch droplets which are the main transmission route of the virus. However, these droplets do not travel far. What can hang in the air are tiny micro aerosols which do not survive very long and in any event, these can penetrate masks.

The main risk in communal settings, providing social distancing is practised, is for droplets to reside on physical artefacts such as worktops, doorhandles etc. This is where routine cleaning (decontamination to us DNBC aficionados) comes in. A good clean of work surfaces,coffee pots and kettles once a day will suffice together with good handwashing at regular and appropriate intervals. Worktops and other domestic environment items should be wiped down with soapy water before applying any disinfecting spray.

Wearing a mask in public areas where social distancing is practiced will not have any effect. The common sight of people in Asian countries wearing masks in public began years ago as a response to smog generated by other industrial and domestic behaviours. The particles released by the virus are entirely different - but old habits tend to emerge as modern myths.

Last edited:

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Wearing a mask in public areas where social distancing is practiced will not have any effect. The common sight of people in Asian countries wearing masks in public began years ago as a response to smog generated by other industrial and domestic behaviours. Thde particles released by the virus are entirely different - but old habits tend to emerge as modern myths.
Has carrying a bell and calling out "Unclean !" seen a resurgence in the UK ?

Not got any facemasks, might sport a brillo pad held in place by everybody's favourite the laccy band.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Not unless you have a large brush and a tin of red paint!
Ag shame, thought the bell and "Unclean" sign might be std issue with shellsuits and onsies.

I've always thought entitling it "Survive to Fight" and not "Survive long enough to go on holiday next year" indicated the kit wasn't as good as the DS seemed to think...
That ought to be a hint that the Army doesn't really care about you using up your leave entitlement when there's a war on.

1E245B8D-B5A5-41BC-AEB9-0C776CE85AC2.jpeg

And great for getting people to socially distance from you.

That ought to be a hint that the Army doesn't really care about you using up your leave entitlement when there's a war on.
The Russian army fully supports its soldiers taking their full leave entitlement whether there’s a war or not. They even encourage them to travel by allowing personal use of vehicles - lorries, tanks, missile launchers - if you just happen to kick off a war and annexe a neighbouring country while you’re at it then so be it

Latest Threads