Respirator for Covid-19

jrwlynch

LE
Book Reviewer
Still got my S10, although the canisters are nowhere near in date. I can say that they work very well for cleaning up when the cat has diarrhea occasionally. Can’t stand the smell, and the S10 does a grand job of keeping it out. Of course it stinks of rubber, CS, sweat, gun oil & cordite even after all these years, but that’s quite a heady mix :)
S6 in my case (he says, rustling his Werther's Originals in his leather armchair, blaming the cats for the smell).

Worked a treat for DIY to keep MDF dust out of eyes and lungs, back when I was younger and broke and making furniture seemed cheaper than buying it - unless you were buying from MFI, but their stuff was made out of pressed Bran Flakes...

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
UK and Scottish Governments have been recertifing out of date face masks and telling foll that they are perfectly safe.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Gi ven we are sending out vast numbers of health care workers in surgical masks (Rated IIR) and a face visor, unless you are in close proximity to a Covid Positive person coughing then any sort of fluid resistant mask should be sufficient

On the other hand....Ambulance drivers and funeral directors rocking up at the Sunshyne Care Home for the Municipally Obliged in S10s would not necessarily be sending the right signal to GBP...so....

1585757790079.png

Vanilla S10's currently 25 sovs on ebay...the 'Cosplay' version with red lenses will set you back 69 Pounds.

I bloody hated NBC routines...but some people are really into rubber....

( Ye gods there are some strange people out there in Internetshire......)

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Got myself a Delta Plus M6400 half face with P3 Filters for now and just wear goggles. Beggers can't be choosers.

Soooo an S10 will work wont work?

IF it will once the filter is removed from its sealed packet how many hours until it has to be changed?
Expired shelf life, submerged in water or breathing becomes laboured or gas or whatever is leaking in.
To summarise, no good for covid19.

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
The solution is much simpler. Stay at home if told to do so. If you HAVE to go out, exercise social distancing. If you go out in an S10, you're just going to look like a duckhead, unless wearing webbing, in full NBC PPE and carrying an L85A2.

TamH70

MIA
Expired shelf life, submerged in water or breathing becomes laboured or gas or whatever is leaking in.
To summarise, no good for covid19.
That's if you don't get a brand new 40mm filter from Scott, et al, and your respirator wasn't correctly fitted and then kept safe.

Mine fits correctly, all l need is the filter, and some way of seeing out of it.

FEASG

LE
On the other hand....Ambulance drivers and funeral directors rocking up at the Sunshyne Care Home for the Municipally Obliged in S10s would not necessarily be sending the right signal to GBP...so....

( Ye gods there are some strange people out there in Internetshire......)

Indeed when we collect a confirmed Covid - 19 case from a mortuary, we are just using standard FFP-3 masks (bodies are already bagged) and over suits. If doing a removal from a nursing home, the main danger point is the lift on to the stretcher when, when the body exhales as it is moved this is not really much of a problem, as it would be in a TB case for example. We counter the problem by covering the deceased's face with a face cloth sprayed with disinfectant, before moving. There is a lot of counter information about the Virus at the moment, as to how long it can survive on various surfaces.

But I have been taking direction from a friend that is a Consultant Virologist, who is working on it and was part of the UK's deployment to SL to deal with the EBOLA outbreak. Her advice is that it is not that hardy and can be destroyed by pretty much any disinfectant. it's still early days with this one, but I have been working in the funeral trade long enough to remember the Hysteria about when the HIV related deaths started to turn up. People made out a trip to the mortuary was as bad as Shovelling graphite off the reactor roof at Chernobyl.

In London we are now in week 4 of a planned 17 week cycle (We are reckoned to be 3 weeks ahead of the rest of the UK) we expect the bulk of fatal causalities to occur in weeks 6 to 8. So far the numbers are well below, those that have been planned for.

There are issues, PPE was short it is now coming on line. Initially it was reserved for the NHS (Rightly so). The constant barrage of anecdotal evidence of lack of stores, is in some parts a self for filling prophesy, as it now seems there has been a Stores are for Storing attitude in some parts, thinking that only the high priority wards should have it when in truth it is on every ward needs it.

This is Big, but not as big as the plan to deal with it. I appreciate there are many serving members that have been stood to for this. My view (close to the ground) is the situation is holding up well , but the crunch weeks are coming in London from 5 Apr to 3rd May. This will be the big test if the NHS can hold it, and indicate what will happen in the rest of the UK, May to June.

Without saying too much I would just reiterate the plan is Big the public are only seeing parts of it, such as the Nightingale Hospital. I really think that this could be our NEW Finest Hour!

Indeed when we collect a confirmed Covid - 19 case from a mortuary, we are just using standard FFP-3 masks (bodies are already bagged) and over suits. If doing a removal from a nursing home, the main danger point is the lift on to the stretcher when, when the body exhales as it is moved this is not really much of a problem, as it would be in a TB case for example. We counter the problem by covering the deceased's face with a face cloth sprayed with disinfectant, before moving. There is a lot of counter information about the Virus at the moment, as to how long it can survive on various surfaces.

But I have been taking direction from a friend that is a Consultant Virologist, who is working on it and was part of the UK's deployment to SL to deal with the EBOLA outbreak. Her advice is that it is not that hardy and can be destroyed by pretty much any disinfectant. it's still early days with this one, but I have been working in the funeral trade long enough to remember the Hysteria about when the HIV related deaths started to turn up. People made out a trip to the mortuary was as bad as Shovelling graphite off the reactor roof at Chernobyl.

In London we are now in week 4 of a planned 17 week cycle (We are reckoned to be 3 weeks ahead of the rest of the UK) we expect the bulk of fatal causalities to occur in weeks 6 to 8. So far the numbers are well below, those that have been planned for.

There are issues, PPE was short it is now coming on line. Initially it was reserved for the NHS (Rightly so). The constant barrage of anecdotal evidence of lack of stores, is in some parts a self for filling prophesy, as it now seems there has been a Stores are for Storing attitude in some parts, thinking that only the high priority wards should have it when in truth it is on every ward needs it.

This is Big, but not as big as the plan to deal with it. I appreciate there are many serving members that have been stood to for this. My view (close to the ground) is the situation is holding up well , but the crunch weeks are coming in London from 5 Apr to 3rd May. This will be the big test if the NHS can hold it, and indicate what will happen in the rest of the UK, May to June.

Without saying too much I would just reiterate the plan is Big the public are only seeing parts of it, such as the Nightingale Hospital. I really think that this could be our NEW Finest Hour!
From your point of view..has the dath rate "spiked" compared to what you'd normally deal with in a given period?

Mesaboogie

Swinger

Very interesting post. The plan is definitely much bigger than what the public can see. In my own area (telecoms) traffic is up 30-40% due to people working from home, over 1000 ip phones and Ethernet to NHS Nightingale, increased network/security/ civil resilience measures. But things are holding up for now.

FEASG

LE
From your point of view..has the dath rate "spiked" compared to what you'd normally deal with in a given period?
No to put this into context the normal death rate per year in England and Wales is about 530,000 even if you use the governments own worst case model (80% of the population catching it with a 1% mortality rate) from a population of 66.5 million people that gives a death rate of 531,000, of which the vast majority would have died anyway in the next couple of years (The biggest killer last year is recorded as Dementia related conditions).

This will cause a blip in normal figures that will sort itself out over the next two or three years. This last winter has been the quietist for me, that I can remember (Having been in the Trade for 25 years). I put this down to events in 2018, with a cold snap and snow , even in Sothern England followed by a very hot summer. There is a common misconception that the temperature causes this, but I have always observed it is sudden changes in the air pressure that precludes the temp changes that kills most people. So if I am on call, I always rate the likelihood of being called out by what the barometer is doing.

Fact is that people buying an S10 because of Covid-19, are either stupid, deluded or... they just wanted an excuse to buy an S10. Whatever floats your boat- picking chunks of 20-year-old squaddie vomit out of an overpriced bit of obsolete kit isn't my cup of tea. Most of us who've had the pleasure of NBC / CBRN training will know it's not just a matter of sticking a mask on your face and being all nice and safe. It's all the other stuff- decontamination drills, masking and unmasking drills etc etc.
The best forms of protection from this are self-isolation and, easiest and cheapest of all, proper hand washing.

Gi ven we are sending out vast numbers of health care workers in surgical masks (Rated IIR) and a face visor, unless you are in close proximity to a Covid Positive person coughing then any sort of fluid resistant mask should be sufficient
Yeah, except without appropriate donning and doffing training they'll probably get contaminated when taking the bugger off.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Mesaboogie

Swinger
No to put this into context the normal death rate per year in England and Wales is about 530,000 even if you use the governments own worst case model (80% of the population catching it with a 1% mortality rate) from a population of 66.5 million people that gives a death rate of 531,000, of which the vast majority would have died anyway in the next couple of years (The biggest killer last year is recorded as Dementia related conditions).

This will cause a blip in normal figures that will sort itself out over the next two or three years. This last winter has been the quietist for me, that I can remember (Having been in the Trade for 25 years). I put this down to events in 2018, with a cold snap and snow , even in Sothern England followed by a very hot summer. There is a common misconception that the temperature causes this, but I have always observed it is sudden changes in the air pressure that precludes the temp changes that kills most people. So if I am on call, I always rate the likelihood of being called out by what the barometer is doing.

So if we had more capacity in the NHS (beds, doctors, nurses, equipment) to begin with, then we might have been able to ride this out with less restrictions (and less of the associated panic eg. ppl buying obsolete military respirators.) I say this based on what I've read, which is that the strategy is to flatten the infection rate so as not to overwhelm the NHS.

TamH70

MIA
Yeah, except without appropriate donning and doffing training they'll probably get contaminated when taking the bugger off.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
I've got my Survive to Fight kicking around somewhere, and NBC was my favourite thingy when I wore green baggy skin for a living.

FEASG

LE
So if we had more capacity in the NHS (beds, doctors, nurses, equipment) to begin with, then we might have been able to ride this out with less restrictions (and less of the associated panic eg. ppl buying obsolete military respirators.) I say this based on what I've read, which is that the strategy is to flatten the infection rate so as not to overwhelm the NHS.
Th NHS is what it is. It's been a political battlefield for years. There are no what ifs in this game. Controlling the lock down is key, turning the tap on and off. This is one area where politics has interfered with Scientific advise. For instance during the 1918-19 Flu, Woodrow Wilsons Government kept the schools open, and found it was a good way to monitor the population. This is being used by the Swedish Government, while others are going by WHO protocols, that advocate quick lock down to stop spreading, but risk an out of control surge once restrictions are relaxed.

The 1918-19 Flu pandemic is our best case to look at for this. There are already parallels to it in the numbers of deaths that have happened, due to cultural and religious issues. Only then it was spread by ships, rather than Aircraft , making the flash to bang much shorter now that before.

Anyone that is interested in this (1918-19 Pandemic) I would Recommend the book "Pale Rider" by Laura Spinney as it not only covers the Pandemic in a way that a layman (Like myself) can understand. But looks at it from the world view, rather than (As other books on the subject) just the US or European experience, from where the most accurate data is known. Again as a bit of context The 1918- 19 Flu is believed to have killed as many as 50 to 100 million, manly in its more deadly second wave, where it killed the young and strong, by triggering a reaction in their immune systems.

SARs-C2 /COVID- 19 is this seasons big thing, but we have seen it before, just not in are own life times. I predict that there will be PHD thesis for years to come about it, from dealing with it. But also to the effect of media such as Walking Dead, 28 Days later Et Al on the psychological reaction of the public to the crises.

Last edited:

Latest Threads