Respirator for Covid-19

Blood agents and NP are not biological agents.

The most common blood agent was Hydrogen cyanide (CK). The reason the canister life was only 30 mins is that it destroys the canister filling, removing any protection, with no advanced warning.
True: I had hoped that I was showing what minimal effect a current service respirator would have at this time.

Unless a civvy was prepared to adopt either 3R or a closed air breathing system and HAZMAT rig.

. . . and follow the fully approved HO decontam and casualty handling regime for a CBRN event (admittedly, with an emphasis on the 'N' bit).

True: I had hoped that I was showing what minimal effect a current service respirator would have at this time.

Unless a civvy was prepared to adopt either 3R or a closed air breathing system and HAZMAT rig.

. . . and follow the fully approved HO decontam and casualty handling regime for a CBRN event (admittedly, with an emphasis on the 'N' bit).
IIFC the HO sold off a shed loads IRU MDUs couple of years back.

IIFC the HO sold off a shed loads IRU MDUs couple of years back.
Doesn't surprise me at all: v expensive kit sat idle and with little likely hood that it would ever be needed.

Until it's needed.

My . . . engagement? . . . with these people was not positive, though that was 20 years ago.

Still got my S10, although the canisters are nowhere near in date. I can say that they work very well for cleaning up when the cat has diarrhea occasionally. Can’t stand the smell, and the S10 does a grand job of keeping it out. Of course it stinks of rubber, CS, sweat, gun oil & cordite even after all these years, but that’s quite a heady mix :)

4(T)

LE
Still got my S10, although the canisters are nowhere near in date.

The canisters (and other NBC consumables) never go out of date apparently - at least according to the CoC on Op Telic.

Apparently any sell-by date on the packaging was just a little joke and could be safely disregarded.

Soooo an S10 will work wont work?

IF it will once the filter is removed from its sealed packet how many hours until it has to be changed?

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Still got my S10, although the canisters are nowhere near in date. I can say that they work very well for cleaning up when the cat has diarrhea occasionally. Can’t stand the smell, and the S10 does a grand job of keeping it out. Of course it stinks of rubber, CS, sweat, gun oil & cordite even after all these years, but that’s quite a heady mix :)
Cordite ?
What what the lot number of your last ammo replen ?

Cordite ?
What what the lot number of your last ammo replen ?
No idea. I had the NIGs pick up the brass :)

I used “Cordite” as a generic term. I would say gunpowder, but I’m sure the propellant in military ammo isn’t actually either of them. Not an AT Walt, so perhaps I should have said “the odour of spent rounds, whatever the actual chemical composition is”.

IF it will once the filter is removed from its sealed packet how many hours until it has to be changed?
Only one way of finding out...

Get your face welly on.

Seriously though, if you are thinking of using an S10, as others have said, it will only protect from aerosol borne COVID19. You need to be in 4R to protect against surface contamination as well.

Good luck.
Post piccies once you are suited and booted.

No idea. I had the NIGs pick up the brass :)

I used “Cordite” as a generic term. I would say gunpowder, but I’m sure the propellant in military ammo isn’t actually either of them. Not an AT Walt, so perhaps I should have said “the odour of spent rounds, whatever the actual chemical composition is”.
Flake, extruded or ball smokeless powder.

Arkanstigger

War Hero

Just how much Covid-19 laden sputum are you planning on getting covered in??

Chemical filters work by reacting with the chemical agent to neutralise it, therefore need changing as they become degraded by contact with the agent.

With Covid you're reliant on the P3 particulate filter capturing the aerosol particulate before it enters your respiratory tract. The virus won't crawl out of the trapped particles and into the mask, so there's no set period by when the filter has to be replaced.

For toxic particulate the filters are tested for their differential pressure across the filter. Too high they're getting clogged and are scapped, too low and there's a hole in the filter somewhere and they're scrapped.

Your main issue is thoroughly decontaminating the mask and your clothing after use.

Last edited:

TamH70

MIA
As long as the mask is intact and fitted with a new P3 filter (protects against solid & liquid aerosols) it's as good as anything (other than positive pressure kit).
Is this the kind of thing you're talking about, mate?

TamH70

MIA
Since I've got equivalent visual acuity to Mister McGoo, I need RX lens inserts for my S10 respirator, assuming I get my new P3 filter, and eBay for once is no help. Anyone got a source?

Since I've got equivalent visual acuity to Mister McGoo, I need RX lens inserts for my S10 respirator, assuming I get my new P3 filter, and eBay for once is no help. Anyone got a source?
I'm going to need the as well or wear my contact lenses