Respirator for Covid-19

I'm seeing a heck of a lot of S10 and S6 respirators being sold on ebay and guessing people are buying them for protection against Covid19 but would the filters with them actually protect you and if so how long once a filter has been exposed to air would it protect for?

Given that military grade respirator filters are designed to protect against particulate inhalation, I'd suggest that you'd be better of with one of these:

1585734125807.png

I'm seeing a heck of a lot of S10 and S6 respirators being sold on ebay and guessing people are buying them for protection against Covid19 but would the filters with them actually protect you and if so how long once a filter has been exposed to air would it protect for?
At Chilwell in ‘11 I was advised my S10 was out of date (10 year life?) and to get a new one from stores. The canisters were apparently okay, still in their packaging. GSR now anyway.

The RFI I’ve seen says the GSR will protect against Covid-19. It didn’t mention S6 or S10 as they’re no longer on issue.

At Chilwell in ‘11 I was advised my S10 was out of date (10 year life?) and to get a new one from stores. The canisters were apparently okay, still in their packaging. GSR now anyway.

The RFI I’ve seen says the GSR will protect against Covid-19. It didn’t mention S6 or S10 as they’re no longer on issue.
There are some GSRs on ebay at moment but they are reaching quite a price.

Is their anything currently on the market that WILL work apart from staying at home?
@scalieback has more current experience than me: given that the sway has been away from the 'N' of CBRN for the last 20 years the, yes, I suspect that filter development has come on by a magnitude.

As it ever was, it's not the face welly as such, it's the filter . . .

Very popular in the prepper scene (apparently) for those willing to pay. The respirator itself should be fine as long as your using 'in date' filters......eBay you say? £££ might make a few quid.

Although, a cheaper option is a builders/plasters mask which I saw someone with yesterday.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

What did the B, in NBC, stand for? On the assumption the filter is in date it should do the job.

Possibly.

If not ask for your money back.
True.

Now, root through your handy copy of 'Survive To Fight' and see what it says about possible contact with a blood agent or NP agent.

Given that military grade respirator filters are designed to protect against particulate inhalation, I'd suggest that you'd be better of with one of these:

View attachment 461618
And how does a bacterial agent spread? By contact transference or being on particulates or in solutions of vapours, liquids or aerosols. all which will be stopped by any of the service respirators.

The serviceability of the respirators and filters is another matter, however.

Arkanstigger

War Hero
As long as the mask is intact and fitted with a new P3 filter (protects against solid & liquid aerosols) it's as good as anything (other than positive pressure kit).

True.

Now, root through your handy copy of 'Survive To Fight' and see what it says about possible contact with a blood agent or NP agent.
Blood agents and NP are not biological agents.

The most common blood agent was Hydrogen cyanide (CK). The reason the canister life was only 30 mins is that it destroys the canister filling, removing any protection, with no advanced warning.

Arkanstigger

War Hero
I've always thought entitling it "Survive to Fight" and not "Survive long enough to go on holiday next year" indicated the kit wasn't as good as the DS seemed to think...

@scalieback has more current experience than me: given that the sway has been away from the 'N' of CBRN for the last 20 years the, yes, I suspect that filter development has come on by a magnitude.

As it ever was, it's not the face welly as such, it's the filter . . .
Face Welly. :grin:

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Gi ven we are sending out vast numbers of health care workers in surgical masks (Rated IIR) and a face visor, unless you are in close proximity to a Covid Positive person coughing then any sort of fluid resistant mask should be sufficient

Latest Threads