Resigning

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by usmarox, Mar 13, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can anyone point me at a reference with the correct format for a letter of resignation, please?

Thanks in advance.

2. msr

msr LE

Depends on how you want to leave I suppose...

Would a change of unit help with retaining you?

msr

3. You could always do what I did, storm out of the OC's office straight into the Chief Clerk's Office and PVR! Who needs letters!

RG

4. msr

msr LE

RG,

No need to PVR from the TA, just put all your kit in a bin bag and launch it over the TAC fence. If you really want to prove a point, curl one off on the PSAOs/OCs/NRPS (delete as appropriate) desk and stick your MOD90 into it.

msr

5. I'm not sure they would understand. Is that a resignation request, or an expression of modernist bio-military art?

FF.

6. msr

msr LE

FF,

Methinks you think too much...

The day my PSAO comes up to me and expresses a 'post-modernist' thought, I will eat my beret.

msr

7. MSR,

But..but..that's not a biscuit ! :wink:

"No need to PVR from the TA" (Quote) Sorry, I didn't see the TA Forum tag only the thread name and I thought I'd offer how I got around it in '96.

RG

8. msr, stop drinking!!!

But ur change unit should be repeated .... SHOT 25

9. msr

msr LE

I should stop drinking?

msr

10. msr

msr LE

RG,

The TA is a broad church ;) Do you fancy joining up again?

msr

11. Bloomin Hell ! Do you work in my local Careers Office !

No, I can't.... I'm too busy in Sennelager helping out the local units.

But, never say never, thanks for the offer, I'm sure the RMP would love to have me back.....Not! I've heard the next intake is Nov 07, do you think they'll take bitter and twisted 42yr olds back on? RMP TA seems too hard for me, I couldn't keep up with all the Civvy Bill War Stories !

RG

12. Bet you're not gonna answer back now you know I'm EX RMP eh !

13. msr

msr LE

Oh yes! We take up to 43 now!!!

msr

14. Ha Ha, well tough, I've quit once cos they really annoyed me and anyhow I'm having more fun helping now than arresting. I find I get less injuries that way and to bag it all no more availables. I'm sure all of my ex - colleagues will remember those!

But give you your due, you'd probably badger a hamster to death!

You keep on 'modding' and I'll stay away from 'plodding'.

RG

15. Don't give in to them! I never understood the Regulars' inability to understand a letter if they didn't recognize the format. Many's the time only iron self discipline and a respect for my elders has prevented me from saying, 'But why didn't you just read what I'd written??'.

On the other hand, if you're dealing with people you respect, then this format worked for me:

Your address top right.
    Address of the CO at RHQ below this, on LHS.
    Date (day, month, year) below this, on RHS.
    Sir

In caps, underlined, on LHS, RESIGNATION OF COMMISSION (or whatever position you hold)

1. I have the honour to inform you that, due to...(your own reasons), I wish to resign (your current rank or posting)(with effect from).

2. I should like to thank (whoever has helped you) in my service with (the unit).

(on RHS) I have the honour to be,
    Sir,
    Your obedient Servant

(signature)

Name
    Rank.

But that was 10 years ago, and the format may have changed slightly.