Resigning Command

Hello One and All,

I wish to resign Command, not sure what the correct process is, but I'm aware that my decision will influence my subordinates too. Hence going through here for advice, as:

a. I wish to ensure a candidate is found to replace me, so ensure sufficient notice is given.
b. Maintain morale within my command, they are a great bunch.
c. Ensure a good HOTO.

All advice appreciated.

WH

Easiest answer is to send your next OJAR back to your CO, unsigned, with full red ink correction, and an honest critique of its relevance and factual accuracy. That will get you out of the game very quickly and painlessly. Worked a dream for me!

Alternatively, asssuming you are at sub-unit command, a quiet word with the CO to explain reasons and agree a suitable timeframe. Adjt can then advise on the formalities. But don't expect a second chance if you change your mind.

Either way, best of luck.

From an American, regular, perspective: http://www.duffelblog.com/2013/11/outgoing-company-commander-hate/

The blog said:
May God smite you all with the power of a thousand suns, and your souls be condemned to Hell for eternity.

And to the incoming commander. Good luck and God bless you for making such terrible life choices.

There’s a bottle of scotch in the third drawer of my desk. You’re going to need it.

I hate you all.

Not a bad way to leave RHQ for the last time, and at least has the virtue of honesty.

You wanted a facetious answer, yes?

Oh.

Hello One and All,

I wish to resign Command, not sure what the correct process is, but I'm aware that my decision will influence my subordinates too. Hence going through here for advice, as:

a. I wish to ensure a candidate is found to replace me, so ensure sufficient notice is given.
b. Maintain morale within my command, they are a great bunch.
c. Ensure a good HOTO.

All advice appreciated.

WH

Command? And you seek advice on a random website from some virtual non-SME? Bye.

Command? And you seek advice on a random website from some virtual non-SME? Bye.

Random? Thanks for your non-SME advice though. Do you sell Smoke or Mirrors?

Edited to ad, the real issue is a lack of SME advice available from the Reserve, current manning pressures seem to have twisted everything, anythinig off message is regarded as insubordination. I am unable to seek advice from within the CoC as it is dissmissed as failing to support the higher CoC and thus ignored... Hence my plea on here, once upon a time it was just 3 clicks on JPA!

Last edited:
Tell your story to a national newspaper on the quiet & when printed resign your commision.
See your GP for stress and get signed off, you were under stress during your talk to the paper!
Suggest you mention to your MP and get them to raise it in the house that the AR have made a good man ill!

Hmm, not sure I'll get far on £50 from the Sun. Not sure about signing off over stress, my civi employer may have somethng to say about that. MPs, didn't they start this madness in the first place?

Leave completely, had enough of selling the smoke and mirrors to good people.

Don't worry, Ranald. We all know you did the best you could.

Major-General-Ranald-Munro.jpg

Now you're free of the TA you can return to blissful normality. Including sharing your life with that annoying woman & her kids who hang around your house and demand you accompany them shopping.

Sorry about that.

Are you able to stick it out for 8 months and leave then?

I'd love to, but recent events are making it more difficult. Serving soldiers are suffering and leaving no-one seems to give a F**K, any attempt to seek change is met with anger and accusations of weakness and a failure to understand the plan.

I'd love to, but recent events are making it more difficult. Serving soldiers are suffering and leaving no-one seems to give a F**K, any attempt to seek change is met with anger and accusations of weakness and a failure to understand the plan.

It was ever thus... As a former OC, my advice would be to try and stick it out for your final 8 months and do your best (in conjunction with the Adjt and CO) to ensure a smooth transition to your successor. If you really must go though, give everyone 3 months' notice at the very least.

It was ever thus... As a former OC, my advice would be to try and stick it out for your final 8 months and do your best (in conjunction with the Adjt and CO) to ensure a smooth transition to your successor. If you really must go though, give everyone 3 months' notice at the very least.
TBH, this is why I'm seeking advice, I know I want the best for the Unit and I don't want to just go off in a huff and stick two fingers up to the CoC as the only people to suffer will be the troops. (Lets face it after 3 months no one will remember my name anyway) I need to do the right thing by them or I won't sleep at night, not that I am right now :(

Have you thought of just blowing your head off with your service issue hand gun?
Would be better if wearing No1 Dress or even your gimp suit?
Before doing so rant on facebook & arrse about the presure your under!!

The_Duke

LE
Just tell the CO your intentions, and your desire to support a smooth handover to whoever is selected but as soon as possible. I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it. There will be someone desperate to take over from you and as correctly pointed out in 3 months you are just a shit presentation gathering dust in the corner of the all ranks bar, and if you are lucky an entry on the "Previous OCs" board.

Besides, the next bloke in might do a much better job than you, and the sooner you get out the better! :)

To be honest just write a letter to the CoC with your intensions to resign your commision on a date to be decided and give your reasons, that way you might control your leaving etc.

Have you thought of just blowing your head off with your service issue hand gun?
Would be better if wearing No1 Dress or even your gimp suit?
Before doing so rant on facebook & arrse about the presure your under!!

Fitpilot, what world do you live in? we don't have service issue hand guns, we're the Reserve, even if we did we can't afford the ammo...