Residency status while stationed in Germany 1970's

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by dante242, Jan 9, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. I am in the process of getting a US visa, they have asked for a Police certificate for my time in Germany BAOR 1973-77

    "Regarding the request for you police certificate while you were “residing” in Germany, Jon wants to find a regulation that defines whether or not an individual in a military capacity is considered a resident or not".

    I have tried google but to no avail.......can anyone point me to the right documents......cheers, Paul
  2. It has something to do with the NATO status of forces agreement. Speak to SPVA, number on the web.
  3. Pretty sure you wouldn't be resident in the normal sense, you remain a UK resident and Tax Payer. NATO SoFA. Like wise any offspring born over there are UK citizens and not German.
  4. You were not a German resident unless you went to the local Stadthalle - Einwohnemeldeamt and applied for registration. This would then have had to be supported at that time by written permission from the local Federal MP (Landrat) in the form of an "Aufenthaltserlaubnis."

    Squaddies were very much encouraged not to do that!

    You record for that period is the one from the military, the German police should have nothing on you unless you were prosecuted by a German court!
  5. Not withstanding what the other Arrsers have said a police record can be obtained from:
    Bundesamt für Justiz
    Bundeszentralregister e
    Sachgebiet IV 21/IR
    53094 Bonn

    FAX: 0228/4105603

    A fee will be demanded but I don't know how much. Any criminal conviction will be recorded there regardless of the status of the person. I know because frequently process such matters.
    For those residing in Germany even as serving soldiers the local town hall would be the place to go an apply for a Polizeiliches Führungszeugnis (slang term Persilschein).

    FAX: 0228/4105603
  6. Outstanding.......thank you all for your speedy response
  7. Firstly If you are not and never have been registered with them, as a resident in their borough, they will tell you, politely and with teutonic efficiency, to **** right off!

    Secondly, records of offences evaporate under German law at: 3.5, 5, 10, 15 and 20 year intervals depending upon the severity of the crime and the sentence passed! PFZs are usually records of the past ten years. In order to have a record from the 1970s he would have to be Joseph Mengele or Martin Bormann!
  8. Brill......better change my name !!!!!
  9. Alsacien

    Alsacien LE Moderator

    This was my experience.
    UK plod database has someone with my name, in Germany committing ABH in the mid 90's. I only found out by accident.
    I cannot get it removed as the Germans have no record of it, and UK plod can only remove an entry if requested by the source - the German plod, who tell me **** off.
    My legal advice was not to worry about it.....outstanding.