Residency requirements for Infantry Soldier?

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by wbas88, Oct 30, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey there chaps,

I just want to clarify something. I'm Canadian born and raised, but I hold a current British passport (Not overseas or anything, I'm a full British citizen), been in the UK for about 2 months now...does the three-five year residency in the UK apply to infantry soldiers (NOT officers)?? I had the Royal Marines recruiter tell me for them I'd need to wait 3 years, but what about an infantry battalion such as the Grenadiers?

2. No, not for soldiers.Im an Australian and the day I arrived in the uk I got the ball rolling at the recruitment office,there is no requirments to have been here for any length of tme.Good luck.
  3. That answers your question.

Wrong, Did he explain why?
  4. Told me I had to reside in the UK for minimum three years before I could enlist as a Royal Marine commando...don't really care anyways, GREN GDS is where it is at. :)
  5. The Royal Marines might if they realise one of their recruiters has lost a bloke to real soldiers (albeit only the Grens) :).
  6. Mind if I hijack this thread?

I am a Canadian citizen, I have never lived in the UK, but because my family is from Liverpool I get a UK passport telling me my nationality is also "British". Great.

If I wish to apply for Officer school, do I need residency for 3-5 years?

I contacted a recruiter about my concern and he said I needed to live in the UK for a minimum of three years. I am asking you guys on ARRSE because I think/hope I may have confused him and not made it clear that I'm a British citizen.

7. That sounds bizarre. I know a South African bloke who just passed out from CTCRM and he was only in the UK a few months before joining. Not a British citizen either.