Residency requirements for Infantry Soldier?

Hey there chaps,

I just want to clarify something. I'm Canadian born and raised, but I hold a current British passport (Not overseas or anything, I'm a full British citizen), been in the UK for about 2 months now...does the three-five year residency in the UK apply to infantry soldiers (NOT officers)?? I had the Royal Marines recruiter tell me for them I'd need to wait 3 years, but what about an infantry battalion such as the Grenadiers?

Cheers
Matt

No, not for soldiers.Im an Australian and the day I arrived in the uk I got the ball rolling at the recruitment office,there is no requirments to have been here for any length of tme.Good luck.

Told me I had to reside in the UK for minimum three years before I could enlist as a Royal Marine commando...don't really care anyways, GREN GDS is where it is at. :)

Mind if I hijack this thread?

I am a Canadian citizen, I have never lived in the UK, but because my family is from Liverpool I get a UK passport telling me my nationality is also "British". Great.

If I wish to apply for Officer school, do I need residency for 3-5 years?

I contacted a recruiter about my concern and he said I needed to live in the UK for a minimum of three years. I am asking you guys on ARRSE because I think/hope I may have confused him and not made it clear that I'm a British citizen.

Thanks!
Ben

wbas88 said:
Told me I had to reside in the UK for minimum three years before I could enlist as a Royal Marine commando...don't really care anyways, GREN GDS is where it is at. :)
That sounds bizarre. I know a South African bloke who just passed out from CTCRM and he was only in the UK a few months before joining. Not a British citizen either.