Resettlement, how valuable is it.

Discussion in 'Education and Resettlement Courses' started by michael3429, Feb 16, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Evening all

Following on from some question I've been asking

I'm in the process of NTT and have interview with 2ic next week to confirm all details and then 7 clicks to civvi street.

I was wondering how valuable resettlement actually is. I've done 9 years service and am entitled higher tier ELC but what does resettlemt offer, I know the grant is around 500 but what else is offered. Is there great advantages doing the full resettlement rather than getting some courses myself using my ELC and SLC. I've been unable to get any resettlemtn info of many people in work this week due to most been away on exercise etc

Thanks in advance as always

2. I've fucked my resettlement off. £550 is fuckall and I can't be arsed to wait around, have loads of **** interviews, lectures and generally get fucked about. Early release and bye bye for me.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Resettlement is useful if you do your research and have time to organise it all. I did 4 weeks in Egypt full food and accommodation doing a diving instructors course, i will probably never teach anyone to dive but to get 4 weeks diving in the red sea courtesy of the system was well worth it. On the serious side, the grant isnt much but when coupled, correctly, with the subsistence allowances you can get on some cracking courses. Have a good chat with the resettlement Officer, they were great with me.

4. It depends on what you want to do in civvy strasse, and whether you can get another skill through resettlement? My resettlement course was £2500 and the Army stumped up for it. The £500 goes further than you think when the course suppliers factor in accomodation etc.

5. Does resettlement cover accommodation/food etc cause the courses I've been looking at must include accommodation through them so they are making more money, but from who me or the service ??

Another quick one is, can I apply and get a course payed for from this finicial years ELC but not planning the course until after April maybe even later in the year I just want to try and use this years ELC

6. All your questions will be answered when you see the IERO. How u use your time will depend on what u want to do as a job

7. Thus far I have used none of my financial grant or resettlement time. Whether you do will depend entirely on what job you intend to look for and what quals you already have.

My plan is to use all of my leave/GRT/terminal leave to either have a nice long paid break or to gain work experience. The final decision is dependent on two job intereviews I have lined up.

8. My resettlement got me a qualification that I wouldn't have otherwise had. The qualification got me the interview, which got me the job.

So, all in all, I owe my whole new career to my resettlement.

9. That's exactly what I did. 3 months of being paid twice paid for my honeymoon.

10. [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  11. If you didn't get a litter-sweeping/areas qual whilst still serving then you were in a different Army to me!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Resettlement is a complete joke. £534 for 22 years loyal service is frankly insulting. I binned resettlement completely and started work as an IT contractor instead, making about 20 grand over the same period. A no brainer really. On top of my gratuity, it was very nice indeed.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Chinned resettlement off after sitting through the dire CTW workshops for 3 days. Waste of time. Didn't complete any resettlement courses nor took any resettlement leave. WO2 on a Friday to a civvie no-mark **** on the Monday. 2 years out now into my 3rd job. 1st one was shite, 2nd one went under due to redundancy and lets just hope this one lasts longer.

14. I did ok out of it. I got a resettlement grant plus my annual education grant to do a 6 week data comms course in Plymouth. We stayed on a Royal Navy base, and drove into the college every day. A hard, intensive course, working til 2300hrs every night, but spent the weekends there on the lash in Union Street and the Barbican, getting hold of some top local totty, and nicking a Royal Marine's lass off him.

Had a few resettlement briefs as well, cv writing, job hunting, interview skills, all that stuff. We had a really good resettlement centre as well. Left with no job to go to, but soon got one via an agency. I even got a job HGV driving just to pay the bills while i was waiting to start the telecoms job.

During the early 90s, there was a tv drama series called Civvies, starring Jason Issacs as an ex-Para Regt sergeant and his mates who were trying to make it in civvy street, and not doing very well. Ending up dead, in jail or in debt.