resettlement? advice required

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by leedswhite, Sep 23, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Guys,

just signed off, would welcome any advice on courses careers etc. i am a dark sider with sy experience.was looking at project management.

any help greatly appreciated

2. Book a resettlement interview with your local AEC to assist in resettlement courses/grants etc. would be my 1st port of call.

3. Cow

Cow LE

Service Leavers pack

Find out what your entitled to first! Have a look at the industry you want to work in, what sort of experience/quals are they looking for? See if you can get an attachment to a Civi company, it'll give you a heads up on the Civi side of life.

Edit to add: Get your paperwork sorted as soon as you can. The quicker you can get prepared the easier it is, you'll be messed about from arse to ear like usual, don't put it off, a year will fly by!

4. You will be out much sooner than you think. You need to start sorting things out as soon as you can.

Would you consider working on the railway? Do you have a limited area for any job you can take or are you able to move location?

There is plenty of work out here but you may need to be flexible in your choices. Sometimes it is hard to know what is available as many jobs tend to advertised "in-house" before the general public gets to hear about them.

5. Is that IT Sy or general Sy experience? If the former, ensure you get Prince II practitioner and CLAS qualifications and come and join the rest of us in the big, bad (but lucrative) civvy world.
    If you are living in/around the cotswolds I heard a couple of weeks ago that the bagel was recruiting again for project managers, permanent and contractor.

6. We were given a load of these by the author who used to be in our Regt. Everyone who signs off gets a copy and the content is helpful.

7. Yo, leedswhite. The link from mediumwhiteamericano looks interesting and well worth a look. Here is my 2 penneth:

By signing off you have already begun the transition back to civilian life and work. So I would suggest that without putting yourself in harms way and attracting accusations of skiving – you do some research and find out exactly what you are entitled to with respect to funds, training, time off and any other support available.

The last 12 months whistle by and if you begin also to mentally approach your discharge date by thinking yourself into a civilian – the transition to being an ex serviceman will be that much easier. Although current conflicts have brought the military more and more into the media and the gaze of the public most of what military life is all about still remains unknown to most civilians and potential employers so look long and hard at your ‘army’ qualifications, skills and experiences and see how they might be expressed in civilian terms to make them understandable to employers. For instance unless you intend to exchange your SD for a tweed jacket and work in the doughnut you’ll need to tease out the useful and employable skills from your green beret career. For example being able to quickly and accurately appraise a mass of detail and from it produce a readable and presentable report is a very useful management skill.

I think the key thing now is: – it is up to you – the resettlement system is there to help but only you can find the right road that you wish to follow – the army will not find you a job but your years of dedicated service can be used as a tremendous asset to boost your chances in the big bad, unfair, unstructured, ill disciplined, clock watching, I’m all right Jack world of civilian work. Well that’s a bit of an over generalization but it is different. Anyway GOOD LUCK

8. thanks for the advice. i have general risk management experience but, along with Prince 2, will probably look at doing a computer sy course as well. dont suppose you have any conacts at all? also finding it quite difficult to word my CV correctly to civvie speak. bizarre! i will learn with time.

9. Yo, leedswhite. You will find all sorts of layouts for CVs on the web However IMHO there are two dimensions to an effective CV - the factual bits about you which only you can conjure up and then the words which portray how YOU will fit the job you are pitching for. It is not a good idea to do a generic CV and blanket the western world with copies. Look at job ads, job descriptions, person/job profiles and use 'their' words to make you fit the job. Remember the main purpose of a CV is to get you through the paper filtering and to a first interview. So craft the description of YOU which will be part of your CV template and then work on re-wording your raft of military qualifications and experiences to match what ACME securities or Barbed Wire AM US are asking for. As an example - It is now way out of date but the Army Certificate of Education First Class - could loosely be equated to so many GCEs but was much more effective and understood by civilian employers when described as Army Cert Ed - especially if one was seeking a job in technical training. It's a bit like advertising it's not what you say it's how you say it (or write it). Of course everything you say on your CV has to be true. Further repeat of good luck.

10. My advice friend is to look for something that employers

a. Need
    b. Want
    c. Are prepared to pay (a decent wage) for it
    d. You are happy to do

Don't listern to "experts" in the mess who claim you can get x amount of cash for doing this or that course.

Be realistic at what you can do and what you can earn, find out roughly how much you need to survive on and look for roles slightly above, however don't sell your self short. Be prepared to go thorough a couple fo jobs before settiling on your second career, you might find its miles away from what you are doing now or what you think you want to do.

11. I find it all depends on your unit. some units make you work to the last day and even send people who have signed off on Ops, others write you off and give you loads of time to prepare. I was lucky, very luckly in fact and was put out to pasture for my last 10 months! trust me, you need it.

12. I have completed the PRINCE2 course (at the RTC) so am avail for advice on that, I've just got out and walked into a job at the first interview that pays me just under 50K to work from home. Get yourself registered on "Thelistuk" and find some civvies who dont mind giving you honest advice on your CV/experience etc and dont take it to heart if they tell you things you dont.
    PM me if you want some advice/help.