Resettle in Canada?

Discussion in 'Education and Resettlement Courses' started by MartinB, Mar 22, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. If you are looking to move to Canada in the near future, contact me and I will do my very best to help. Former RAF Mover, now working as a Realtor in St. John's NL. If you have any questions about buying property in Canada drop me a line, this is all absolutely free of charge.

    Martin Byrne
    Coldwell Banker ABBA Realty
    Tel: 001709 579-0091
  2. Thanks. Might look you up later - we're considering emigration to Canada (probably like most UK tax-payers....).

    Actually, Arrse could do with a dedicated "Immigration/emigration/expat life" forum for contacts & stickies, as so many Arrsers are already living & working overseas.
  3. Drop me a line whenever you wish, I will hopefully be of some help.

  4. Hi, I plan to settle in Alberta when i finaly get out, my better 1/2 is canadian and we have a place in N. Alberta already.
    On a recent spell i spent in BATUS someone mentioned getting landed status as i can be out of the country for 2 out of the 5 years needed to qualify.
    Can you shed any light on that please.

    Many thanks
  5. It used to be 3 months in the period when the missus and I emigrated to Calgary in '91. We got our passports after the 3 years and had our 2 kids there and then she made me come back to the UK in '97.

    I've spent half the time since in other countries.

  6. Hi

    I am in my final year and have been considering it. I was speaking to a guy the other day who said that he was getting his enitre pension paid to him in a one payment as he was moving abroad (Germany). I have not been able to find any info on this. Do you know if there is any truth in it?
  7. Fully agree, it could easily be located in arrse International :wink:
  8. Just a quick point for those who married a Canadian (and good on you - filthy little god-fearing whores :D) - there are certain rules with landed immigrant status and permanent residence status about how long you can be out of Canada for - if you leave for more than 3 months in a year you have to reapply. However, if your spouse is Canadian and they go with you then it still counts as time in Canada - so my wife and I are returning to the UK for a bit this summer, but it does not count as a break away from Canada for me as I am with her. Some of you might find this helps? Otherwise if you're looking to move to New Brunswick (cheap houses, lots of skilled manual labour jobs, not as many professional jobs...) then feel free to pm for advice.