Reservists Call Up - will it work?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by YeoTanky, Nov 9, 2002.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. As you are all aware, in addition to a strike by some very boring and endlessly repetative people, we may be facing the largest call up of reserves (not TA) since the Korean War.

Will it work, will the chosen give up their family, job etc. possibly just before Christmas in order to top up the Armed Forces that were butchered by SDR?

What is the position if a Reservist had been made redundant in the first place?

Will the courts be full of appeals.

Please no comments about the other business!!!!!!!!
  2. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Not sure it will work myself. I just can't see thousands of reservists willingly turning up at reporting points no matter what the government says. I've heard upto 10,000 will be required! :eek: I suspect the courts will be full if T B Liar trys it.
  3. This pre-supposes that the MoD still have an up to date contact address for the Reservists.  And do we have enough kit to fit them out?

Pre-RFA 1995 the Reserves had to be mobilised before the TA (2 minutes probably) .  Is this still the case?
  4. As i understand it yes.

Given that a recent report said that up to 25% of homeless are ex-service men then i agree it will be difficult to find an up to date contact list!!

Calling up reserves makes little sense to me as the majority, presumably, left because they did nopt like being in the Armed Service.  At least if the TA are called up the starting point is a little more promising.

I should add that as an ex regular who transferred to the TA I am no longer able to be called up as a Reservist.

Therefore if you wish to avoid being called up - join the TA!!!
  5. It will be an interesting thing to watch.  Who will they go for? The Reservist who have a legal liability to return to "The Colours" but probably would prefer not to and the Volunteer Reservist who "should" be keen to.  (I acknowledge than there may keen Reservists and unwilling VRs.)
  6. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

I think legally it will be on shaky ground. The reserve was designed to cover the UK in case of national survival. This is definitely not that. So most I suspect could challenge any call up in the European courts should they so desire.

Besides a force of called up reservists who don’t want to be there is a recipe for disaster.

I would be interested to know how many would go willingly if called. Any reservists on here want to say if they would go or not?
  7. I am not a Reservist (yet) but would add that
    most soldiers leave because they get fed up with Guards and Duties, cr@p postings, family issues etc. Given the chance to deploy for a good punch up it's amazing how many want to get stuck in.
  8. Many of those on the reservist list will have families and good jobs/standard of living in civvy street. They will be extremely reluctant to come back...I wouldn't blame them. ;)
  9. I think you're barking up the wrong tree to some extent...the word "reservists" encompasses BOTH ex Regulars and TA.  The TA are certainly the element of the Reserve most likely to be called out first, although with this particular operation in the sand there may be a requirement for small numbers of ex-Regulars to be mobilised as well.
  10. I always thought that Reservists and the TA were different groups??? ???
  11. Well, you've got Volunteer Reserves (TA) and Regular Reserves (ex-Regulars), so the encompassing way to refer to the Reserve Forces is as "reservists".  Confusing to some...!
  12. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

I was refering to the regular reserve.
  13. CGS

CGS War Hero Moderator

Either way, Yeo is quite right
    The government are entirely responsible here, and of course it started way before the SDR...
  14. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

I don`t think the majority will CGS.
  15. Current plans involve:

1. Looking at the requirement.
    2. Calculating the shortfall.
    3. Looking at how many Volunteer Reservists (TA) are available.
    4. Worrying about the remaining shortfall.
    5. Trying to find enough Regular Reservists to plug the remaining gap.

Current rule of thumb for planning purposes - you need to call up FIVE Regular Reservists just to get ONE!!

And for some key trades, there aren't enough even if we took them all.

Still, at the least the Army makes an effort to stay in contact with Reg Res (even if it is just with an annual questionnaire, which runs at just under a 50% return rate). The RAF no longer bother - they make a note of who you were when you left, and rely on you to contact them if any details change!