Reservist Recruit Driving To and From Phase 1 Training

Big Avo

Old-Salt
Hi everybody,

Could a Recruit drive themselves to and from their Phase 1 Training in either a Hire Car or White Fleet Vehicle?

Once they have a Service Number they are enlisted and if they have the relevant Driving Licence I don't see why they shouldn't be able to drive themselves.

When I completed my basic training, many years ago, I think I recall that we had Recruits on my course that had flown over from Belfast and had a Hire Car to take them to and from the Airport.

I got a rail warrant up to Darlington and then caught a bus from there to Catterick Garrison - mind you it was 1985!

Hi everybody,

Could a Recruit drive themselves to and from their Phase 1 Training in either a Hire Car or White Fleet Vehicle?

Once they have a Service Number they are enlisted and if they have the relevant Driving Licence I don't see why they shouldn't be able to drive themselves.

The cost and the hassle will probably mean its not feasible.

Big Avo

Old-Salt
I can imagine that to be a nightmare with the amount of kit they need. I've only had the pleasure of using a rail warrant once in the past and was lucky that I didn't have to lug half the kit.

Due to security we are trying to avoid making them use public transport. It's not hard to identify a young pup carrying a huge camouflage bergen on a train as a member of the armed forces.

I can imagine that to be a nightmare with the amount of kit they need. I've only had the pleasure of using a rail warrant once in the past and was lucky that I didn't have to lug half the kit.

Due to security we are trying to avoid making them use public transport. It's not hard to identify a young pup carrying a huge camouflage bergen on a train as a member of the armed forces.

Do the TA get a issue of kit before the go for phase one?

I think you are pissing in the wind with the security threat, no one else is barred from wearing uniforms in public.

At the moment we bring in a driver which is usually a L/Bdr or Bdr to drop them off and pick them up in white fleet.

Dont you just pick them up from the nearest train station?

The Joining Instructions for Pirbright state you MUST NOT self-drive. The unit should provide someone to drive you. Failing that it's by train.

@stacker1 They should have all their kit prior to Ph1 A. Also, as far as Pirbright is concerned, anyone arriving by train has to make their own way from Brookwood station. No transport is laid on.

Big Avo

Old-Salt
Do the TA get a issue of kit before the go for phase one?

I think you are pissing in the wind with the security threat, no one else is barred from wearing uniforms in public.

Yes, we have to provide them with all their uniform and equipment prior to them attending the course.

Regardless of the security threat, my supervision isn't happy with recruits travelling to and from courses with military kit whether they are wearing civvies or uniform.

We drive them to and from A and B courses. They get the train down just for the Assessment Centre. Due to the security issues and driver fatigue/duty of care bit

Big Avo

Old-Salt
The Joining Instructions for Pirbright state you MUST NOT self-drive. The unit should provide someone to drive you. Failing that it's by train.

@stacker1 They should have all their kit prior to Ph1 A. Also, as far as Pirbright is concerned, anyone arriving by train has to make their own way from Brookwood station. No transport is laid on.

Thank you

Yes, we have to provide them with all their uniform and equipment prior to them attending the course.

Regardless of the security threat, my supervision isn't happy with recruits travelling to and from courses with military kit whether they are wearing civvies or uniform.

I don't know why. No one else in the army has issues with it.

M

Mr_Logic

How about because they have not completed their training so are not yet a full member of the organisation? Why invest Ph 2 or Ph 3 training resources on a punter that may not be able to pass Ph 1 training? Not all trained soldiers are trusted with vehicles or other responsibilities. Why trust an untrained recruit? Lastly, the Commanding Officer is the Duty Holder whose legal responsibility it is to understand and minimise risk. Would you advise him to do this? I wouldn't.

Well, I'd suggest thats a very simple problem that can be fixed. I know that the regulars used to have a minibus going to and from Brookwood.

Hi everybody,

When I completed my basic training, many years ago, I think I recall that we had Recruits on my course that had flown over from Belfast and had a Hire Car to take them to and from the Airport.

No - because they wont have an FMT 600.

Badgertastic

Old-Salt
How about because they have not completed their training so are not yet a full member of the organisation? Why invest Ph 2 or Ph 3 training resources on a punter that may not be able to pass Ph 1 training? Not all trained soldiers are trusted with vehicles or other responsibilities. Why trust an untrained recruit? Lastly, the Commanding Officer is the Duty Holder whose legal responsibility it is to understand and minimise risk. Would you advise him to do this? I wouldn't.

From memory, one of the issues used to be a Duty of Care one about how to recover them back to unit if they managed to injure themselves on training; lack of sleep is probably another potential issue too. Hence the JIs I saw always insisted on recruits being driven down rather rocking up in their own vehicles (civvy or mil).

From memory, one of the issues used to be a Duty of Care one about how to recover them back to unit if they managed to injure themselves on training; lack of sleep is probably another potential issue too. Hence the JIs I saw always insisted on recruits being driven down rather rocking up in their own vehicles (civvy or mil).

To be honest that part sounds more like they don't want the car park full of recruits cars rather than duty of care, plenty of other courses (with large car parks) that there may be a lack of sleep involved but everyone still leaves on the Friday morning in their own cars.

Badgertastic

Old-Salt
To be honest that part sounds more like they don't want the car park full of recruits cars rather than duty of care, plenty of other courses (with large car parks) that there may be a lack of sleep involved but everyone still leaves on the Friday morning in their own cars.
Fair point.

Of course, there's always the urban legend of the young Phase 2 recruit arriving at Leconfield in his souped-up chavmobile for his B Licence acquisition course...

Recruit training in the SE is carried out in Pirbright so parking isn't that much of an issue. It really is the Duty of Care thing - thrashing them around and depriving them of sleep and then expecting them to drive to eg. Canterbury on a sunday evening really isn't A Jolly Good Idea.

Latest Threads