Reservist pay whilst deployed

A simple question, or so I thought.... I asked the recruitment people on the online chat and they couldn't answer and then referred me to others in the MOD who couldn't answer. Anyway.
I'm looking join the Army Reserve but, wanted to ask if the Army matched employers pay whilst on deployment or, do you just get basic Army pay?

Many thanks in advance to all helpful answers.

First join, do phase 1, phase 2, become trained & then operationally ready as a trained soldier or officer.
Then look at going on operations & finding out all the info then, as it might change with Army 2020 requirements.

A simple question, or so I thought.... I asked the recruitment people on the online chat and they couldn't answer and then referred me to others in the MOD who couldn't answer. Anyway.
I'm looking join the Army Reserve but, wanted to ask if the Army matched employers pay whilst on deployment or, do you just get basic Army pay?

Many thanks in advance to all helpful answers.

I am out of date now but for me it was always "army pay" - day rate plus any trade pay plus any other additions. It was certainly not "matched" but I seemed to do very well out of it.

As @crustyrusty says - you have to get in

The_Duke

LE
A little while since my last deployment, but at the time you were matched to your civvy rate. There were also a few additional claims you could make, which cost more than a few their TA/AR “career” when their creative accounting came to light.

arcticfox042

War Hero
If you are mobilised , not full time reserve, then you will get an allowance that will bring your military wages up to match your civilian wage so you dont loose out, as a C/Sgt when I was in Bosnia I was on more than my OC (Major) ... Oh how he laughed about it.......

First join, do phase 1, phase 2, become trained & then operationally ready as a trained soldier or officer.
Then look at going on operations & finding out all the info then, as it might change with Army 2020 requirements.
If I blindly rejoined as you say, and then got deployed. If the pay didn't match my employer's, I'd come back homeless, with my wife and kids on the streets.

If you are mobilised , not full time reserve, then you will get an allowance that will bring your military wages up to match your civilian wage so you dont loose out, as a C/Sgt when I was in Bosnia I was on more than my OC (Major) ... Oh how he laughed about it.......
Thanks for the reply. I thought it must be the case, i couldnt understand why the recruitment people didn't know or wouldn't answer.

Rod924

LE
Kit Reviewer
Thanks for the reply. I thought it must be the case, i couldnt understand why the recruitment people didn't know or wouldn't answer.
Possibly they're a civvy commercial fuckwit recruitment agency who bluff the MOD about results.....Just a stab ( ) in the dark mind!

If you’re called up for service you can claim financial support to cover:
  • the difference between your civilian pay and your service pay
  • the cost of any benefits in kind your employer stops
The total amount you can claim is £400 a day

QRK2

LE
I was on more than the Brigadier, he didn't find it amusing.

Just curious, but is this getting your pay made up to the same level as your civilian wage, only available if you're compulsorily mobilised, or is it also possible if you volunteer for a tour?

The_Duke

LE
Just curious, but is this getting your pay made up to the same level as your civilian wage, only available if you're compulsorily mobilised, or is it also possible if you volunteer for a tour?
Everything is “compulsory”.

it is easy for people to get excited about the mobilised person being on more than the Brigadier, but it is a snapshot. No housing, no CEA etc. Consider it “consultant rates” compared to permanent staff and it isn’t quite as bad.

arcticfox042

War Hero
The head sheads tried to get me Full Time Reserve I refused and said I was being mobilised as you dont get the full allowences when FTRS...........

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
Latest version i heard was that if mobilised, your army pay will be bumped up to not only cover your civvy pay, but to match your average Reserve earnings as well so you dont lost out financially

Just_plain_you

War Hero
The head sheads tried to get me Full Time Reserve I refused and said I was being mobilised as you dont get the full allowences when FTRS...........
What happened next? A flash of purple cloak and an strangely unpleasant odour?

arcticfox042

War Hero
I phoned the OC of Chicksands I told him I would not be there in a couple of weeks time to begin the pre-deployment course and told him how I was getting messed about by the Corps... he asked if he could help in any way. I surgested a signal to officer Commanding Royal Marines out lining the problems... within days it was sorted ..... I'd had a nasty conversation on the phone with a useless female CPO at RN Drafting who said that the Royal Marines had not mobilised since Suez... I told her to stop using the new regs as a door stop and read them....

Latest Threads