Reservist Officer v OR Decision

Hi all,

I'm looking at joining a Yeomanry Unit next year, however debating whether to look at Officer or Soldier entry.

Have been advised to look at Officer entry with my Masters Degree, however personally the trooper role sounds more interesting.

Has anyone any advice or experience on this: What is the role of a reservist officer in comparison to that of a soldier? Is it worth going down the direct entry officer route as a reservist in the yeomanry, or is the training a huge commitment?

Any help would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks

Don't be an idiot, Officers are treated far better than regular soldiers. More money, better promotion chances, better everything.

Soldiers - many/many guard duties. Clueless power crazy idiots bossing you about. Anybody with more than 1 brain cell would choose to be an officer over a normal bit off cannon fodder.

Don't be an idiot, Officers are treated far better than regular soldiers. More money, better promotion chances, better everything.

Soldiers - many/many guard duties. Clueless power crazy idiots bossing you about. Anybody with more than 1 brain cell would choose to be an officer over a normal bit off cannon fodder.
You're an idiot.

Guard duty as an AR? no

Hi all,

I'm looking at joining a Yeomanry Unit next year, however debating whether to look at Officer or Soldier entry.

Have been advised to look at Officer entry with my Masters Degree, however personally the trooper role sounds more interesting.

Has anyone any advice or experience on this: What is the role of a reservist officer in comparison to that of a soldier? Is it worth going down the direct entry officer route as a reservist in the yeomanry, or is the training a huge commitment?

Any help would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks
Arrange a visit to the unit and speak to some grown ups. Then decide.

Reserve service is all about what flicks your switch. Visit the unit and see what they do, As well as you looking at them, they will look at you. If they are a fair bunch and see any officer potential in you, they should lay out your choices/options.
However your biggest hurdle will be the reservist recruiting system - stick with it and have patience (of a saint...)

You're an idiot.
My good man - as you've never met me and know nothing of my intellectual level, I can only assume you think you can read minds & judge people via the internet. If that's the case, let me suggest you re-evaluate your life choices and maybe take some diplomacy classes.

Guess it comes down to what you want from the AR, but if you want to do something completely different to your 9-5 (assuming you work in a graduate type role), trooper might be preferable.

There's no chance of me ever going back into green kit, but if I was considering it, I think I'd rather be one of the lads again, rather than deal with similar stuff (to a small extent), alongside similar people, as is in my day job.

AR is more like a hobby or an interest rather than a job. You should do what will make you want to go along to the evenings and weekends. If that's being a trooper then be a trooper and use your degree in your professional life instead.

If you go officer just because you have a degree but don't like the sounds of the role, you're just going to stop going after a while because you won't enjoy it while you're there.

Yeomanry troopers? Guard duties?
There’s only one clueless person here, and it’s not the OP.

Latest Threads