Reservist from Ireland?

Kai

Old-Salt
Very quick question.

Can you join the Reserves while having an address in the Republic of Ireland?

Kai.

Socksey

Clanker
Only if you have a UK one too.... The nationality is not a problem but you need residency and a National Insurance number

Kai

Old-Salt
Bugger.

Recently got my thought-to-be-unattainable dream job offer so will be in the Republic for a year or two now. I was going into the regulars to do the same thing (CSE).

Socksey

Clanker
Check with the careers bunch.... If you are a UK national temporarily working in RoI it may be different.
BUT
Security issues could be a serious problem even with the current détente. ... In the past you needed permission to go home and visit family in Ireland. Travelling to a TA centre in NI from the south could also mark your car....

Just out of curiosity is it possible for a British citizen to join the Irish army/guarda/civil service?

Arte_et_Marte

ADC
Just out of curiosity is it possible for a British citizen to join the Irish army/guarda/civil service?

You can apply to join The Army and the Police (An Garda Síochána) as a British citizen. Not sure about the Civil Defence bods.

However, applications run into the thousands and there are very few places.

Your (hypothetical) chances of actually getting in, are rather slim.

not sure the way it is now! but it used to be if you didn't have leaving -cert in Irish ,you could have forgotten about all three , and that included Irish nationals.

not sure the way it is now! but it used to be if you didn't have leaving -cert in Irish ,you could have forgotten about all three , and that included Irish nationals.
Only Defence Forces jobs being advertised are aircraft technician apprentices but it is Irish or English (in LC or equivalent)

Right fair enough
But I remember Ireland from the seventies to today,and employment was one way traffic with a lot of invisible barriers.to government jobs.

Socksey

Clanker
I think its time to phone and find out.
But even if it is ok.... you must remember your personal security. ... you won't be able to tell people in Ireland and of attending a TA centre in NI you will have to be even more careful.
While things have generally got better..... There are still many for whom the British Army are still the enemy..... The hospital in Belfast had a reputation as the best place in the world for dealing with knee capping. ....
Also you won't necessarily have the same employer support that you would have from a UK based employer re deployments or even extra leave time for training etc

Last edited:
But even if it is ok.... you must remember your personal security. ... you won't be able to tell people in Ireland and of attending a TA centre in NI you will have to be even more careful.
While things have generally got better..... There are still many for whom the British Army are still the enemy..... The hospital in Belfast had a reputation as the best place in the world for dealing with knee capping. ....
Also you won't necessarily have the same employer support that you would have from a UK based employer re deployments or even extra leave time for training etc

There is zero employer support for the Irish Reserves and UK legislation on leave for training etc doesn't apply here

Socksey

Clanker
Lol.... I know.... was trying to put it nicely....
we're not even supposed to know that we can join up across the water.... only discovered that then I moved......

Latest Threads