Reservist fighting his fifth war call-up

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by msr, Jul 9, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. msr

msr LE

2. Its time to crash that car into a wall and break a few bones by the sound of it!
  3. Pity the US can not opt out as we can.

poor buggers do a lot longer tours than us.....
  4. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Having just spent two weeks at their version of RTMC (gloat, gloat) it is apparent that it is not that unusual. I spoke with one Sgt who was mobilising for the 4th time, with a between tour interval of around 12 months.

What was even more surprising was that he did not complain, and actully commented that he felt pleased that they had allowed him 12 months off between 400 day tours!
  5. Bet he's got an understanding employer.
  6. Dont get me wrong...I would do (Better wage in Army)it but dont think my civi work place would swing it!

How does their RTMC it better/worse?
  7. Does this mean the Guard doesn't top up salaries?
  8. 5 times is taking the p!ss a bit.
  9. Wow and i thought we had it bad...

To coin a phrase "that really sucks man". :(
  10. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Fort Dix is a major facility with all sorts of great assets for mobilisation and demobilisation.

They spend 60 - 90 days there before deployment, doing all the usual G1 stuff, generic pre tour training plus role specific pre deployment training.

OK as long as you don't mind spending 3 months in your own country with no beer and wearing CBA and helmet all the time!

Great hosts though.
  11. The Duke, from what you saw, would you say the US reserves fair better in comparison with their regular counterparts than the TA do with the British Army?

It's just that the US National Gaurd seems to be trusted with more responible tasks than the TA do, and they don't tend to fill the regular ranks, but mobilise as a reservist unit more often, or have I got it wrong?

I can only think of a few TA units that have gone out on their own and if they do it's usually force protection (though not for one moment suggesting FP isn't important)
  12. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

I didn't see enough of them to make a considered judgement on that.

One point was obvious though - they deploy more often and for much longer, but accept that as part and parcel of getting pensions, medical and dental coverage, education costs covered etc.

They also seem to be able to move between reserve and active duty (TA to regular) with ease, but at the cost of having to do the same "school" for everything as their regular counterparts.

In short, they get better benefits, and are more likely to be used in role, but pay for this in terms of mobilisation requirements (all mobiisation is compulsory, with no opt out) and a higher training bill when not deployed.

Take your choice - benefits vs liability.
  13. I don't know what I would want really, they do seem to earn a lot more respect than we do with their fellow countrymen (I suppose the same can be said with their regular army too though) and with their regular counterparts.

But being compulsery mobilised for the 5th time is taking the p!ss a bit, they may as well have joined the regular army with that kind of commitment.

Do you know if regular courses are open to them(I assume so with the "same school" comment), that would be something I would like to see in the TA, as it stands there are only a few but it would be nice to have the option of things like regular basic training, full P coy and AACC (including the full beat ups) and trade courses just so there wouldn't be any allegations of stabs doing things the easy way, and of course the added benifit of being trained as well as your regular counerparts when mobilised, I'm not saying it should be compulsery in the TA but it would be nice to have the option. But then again I suppose if you did all that you would have to repay all that time and money spent on you by putting a few more tours in and again you may as well go regular.
  14. well if he cant take a joke he should not have joined.
  15. Seconded.