Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Reservist change of role for mobilisation

Afternoon Arrse, very new here, so excuse the lack of terminology or correctness!
I'm preparing to join the reserves, specifically Royal Wessex Yeomanry, B squadron. You all probably know RWxY provide tank crew members to the regular regiments, my role most probably being a challenger 2 driver after traning. My question is, if war were to break out and the army were grabbing any one they could lay their hands on; would they deploy recruits not yet trained for their original roles as say, infantry or the like? I have no issue with deployment, as I'm joining the army at the end of the day! It's just a question my brother-in-law brought up. If I haven't been clear I do apologise, so if anyone doesn't follow just say!

Cheers chaps

( to any mods I've already posted this question accidentally in the reserve recruitment section, could that one be deleted! )

Both....

As pointed out by the National Physical Laboratory, the generation of random numbers is too important to be left to chance!

Afternoon Arrse, very new here, so excuse the lack of terminology or correctness!
I'm preparing to join the reserves, specifically Royal Wessex Yeomanry, B squadron. You all probably know RWxY provide tank crew members to the regular regiments, my role most probably being a challenger 2 driver after traning. My question is, if war were to break out and the army were grabbing any one they could lay their hands on; would they deploy recruits not yet trained for their original roles as say, infantry or the like? I have no issue with deployment, as I'm joining the army at the end of the day! It's just a question my brother-in-law brought up. If I haven't been clear I do apologise, so if anyone doesn't follow just say!

Cheers chaps

( to any mods I've already posted this question accidentally in the reserve recruitment section, could that one be deleted! )

Fecking 'ell.......do you know something we don't?......

Cheers chaps

Given the complexities of their role, I suspect you'd find that the infantry would object to having an untrained creature foisted upon them as much as the RAC.

Despite Cameron's warnings about a general European war in the event of Brexit, no doubt because Albania will seek Lebensraum, it's highly unlikely you'd be called upon to make the ultimate sacrifice as a footslogger. Join up with confidence.

I have signed up in confidence, it was just a good question raised! Thanks for the answers guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No. Not unless it was to man the barricades outside Buckingham Palace itself.

Basic training doesn't really qualify you for anything. Phase 2 qualifies you to do stuff - including infantry. So after phase 1, you may be 'in' but you're still no real use to anyone.

Ok, a number of questions there. 1stly, good lad for joining perhaps the finest Sqn in the Army Reserve, with a cracking role. As someone has already said, after Pirbright (Phase 1B) you will be a trained soldier, able to operate as a simple generic soldier. Everyone is trained to this level before going off to do STA (Special To Arm) phase 2 Trg course. Great, but won’t get you deployed anywhere.

The next stage is to undertake your phase 2 training. If you were an infanteer, it would be off to Caterick for CIC (infanteering) but as you are one of the hallowed few, it is Bovington for you to do Signals and Challenger 2 driving. Then you would become deployable in role, or as a General Duties Mounted Close Combat soldier after pre deployment training. This is how most of the RAC Yeomanry Regts deployed people to Iraq or AFG with roles ranging from veh driver, gunner, dismounts etc, but working off vehicles. The mobility thing is what makes the RAC different in the Close Combat world and how it uses its vehicles as weapon platforms rather than battlefield taxis.

Once you are CR2 trained, then you possess a valuable skill that the Regular Army needs in role. We don’t have many CR2 Regts and therefore not much depth in reserve which is where the RWxY come in. If war were to break out, then you would be grabbed as a CR2 soldier and if you weren’t fully trained, you would be in a matter of weeks and then deployable as an individual reinforcement or as part of a crew.

Last edited: