Reservist Categories

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by barnezy349, May 8, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can someone explain in detail the categories of reservist there are right down to cadets (because i hear they are classed as reservists? :? )
  2. Cat A- the TA.
    Cat B- the OTC (yes, I know they're part of the TA) and the like

Cadets? Are they classed as reservists?
  3. msr

msr LE

Cadets - no.

'Youth movement with a military ethos'

4. Sorry to contradict, and I may be wrong but I've been told by several regs that if all else fails, the ACF is obliged to fight on home soil. However, the regs may have been taking the pish which wouldnt exactly surprise me!
  5. I know this is slightly away from the thread but MSR, you are a fountain of all knowledge. Where does an officer cadet fit into the foodchain, and should he / she be invited to a joint officers / seniors mess function. I always thought an officer cadet was lower than the balls on a dachshound ?? maybe I'm wrong
  6. msr

msr LE

7. If all else fails, your granny will be out there with a pitch fork too, but I don't think she's classed as a reserve!
  8. msr

msr LE

In my opinion, O/Cdts should be invited to all Officers' Mess functions. Joint function with the WOs/Sgts - definitely (but FFS have someone keeping an eye on them).

9. Quite - someone needs to set the tables, serve the drinks, etc.
  10. msr

msr LE

What? Give them sharp objects like knives? Heavens above you like living dangerously ;)

11. Do not forget, The Regular Army Reserve plus Individuals Liable to Recall which comprises the Army Long Term Reserve and Army Pensioners!

See: for figures.

For all Services see:

I am not sure but ex TA Officers & Soldiers are also liable to Recall before general conscription of the public.

If you total up the 'Total Reserves' on the DASA Reserves Chart you will see Cadets are not included in the total, while they are indeed listed in the statistics....
  12. And also you have the chelsea pensioners!
  13. Don't joke about it - one of the defenders of Hong Kong in 1941 was an reservist in his 80s who basically volunteered to remain in his fighting position (because he was a handy shot, but wasn't going to be running anywhere) in front of the invading hordes of Nippon..., he didn't survive.

(Will check the Regimental History on that one, and amend as necessary...)
  14. Thats posted in the History forum somewhere I think.....

As to the ACF being reservists I believe that they were raised in Napoleonic times but whether this was as a feeder organisation to the militias or as a reserve proper or a bit of both I don't know.
  15. Don’t cadet officers count as reservists as they hold a CAT B commission, and as such are part of the army?