Reservist Categories

Can someone explain in detail the categories of reservist there are right down to cadets (because i hear they are classed as reservists? :? )

Cat A- the TA.
Cat B- the OTC (yes, I know they're part of the TA) and the like

Cadets? Are they classed as reservists?

Cadets - no.

'Youth movement with a military ethos'

msr

Sorry to contradict, and I may be wrong but I've been told by several regs that if all else fails, the ACF is obliged to fight on home soil. However, the regs may have been taking the pish which wouldnt exactly surprise me!

I know this is slightly away from the thread but MSR, you are a fountain of all knowledge. Where does an officer cadet fit into the foodchain, and should he / she be invited to a joint officers / seniors mess function. I always thought an officer cadet was lower than the balls on a dachshound ?? maybe I'm wrong

theboy_thelegend said:
Sorry to contradict, and I may be wrong but I've been told by several regs that if all else fails, the ACF is obliged to fight on home soil. However, the regs may have been taking the pish which wouldnt exactly surprise me!
Bollocks.

msr

theboy_thelegend said:
If all else fails, your granny will be out there with a pitch fork too, but I don't think she's classed as a reserve!

bobos said:
I know this is slightly away from the thread but MSR, you are a fountain of all knowledge. Where does an officer cadet fit into the foodchain, and should he / she be invited to a joint officers / seniors mess function. I always thought an officer cadet was lower than the balls on a dachshound ?? maybe I'm wrong
In my opinion, O/Cdts should be invited to all Officers' Mess functions. Joint function with the WOs/Sgts - definitely (but FFS have someone keeping an eye on them).

msr

clownbasher said:
msr said:
In my opinion, O/Cdts should be invited to all Officers' Mess functions.
Quite - someone needs to set the tables, serve the drinks, etc.
What? Give them sharp objects like knives? Heavens above you like living dangerously ;)

msr

Do not forget, The Regular Army Reserve plus Individuals Liable to Recall which comprises the Army Long Term Reserve and Army Pensioners!

See: http://www.dasa.mod.uk/natstats/tsp7/tsp7tab3.html for figures.

For all Services see: http://www.dasa.mod.uk/natstats/tsp7/tsp7tab1.html

I am not sure but ex TA Officers & Soldiers are also liable to Recall before general conscription of the public.

If you total up the 'Total Reserves' on the DASA Reserves Chart you will see Cadets are not included in the total, while they are indeed listed in the statistics....

And also you have the chelsea pensioners!

me n bee said:
Don't joke about it - one of the defenders of Hong Kong in 1941 was an reservist in his 80s who basically volunteered to remain in his fighting position (because he was a handy shot, but wasn't going to be running anywhere) in front of the invading hordes of Nippon...

...no, he didn't survive.

(Will check the Regimental History on that one, and amend as necessary...)

Gravelbelly said:
me n bee said:
Don't joke about it - one of the defenders of Hong Kong in 1941 was an reservist in his 80s who basically volunteered to remain in his fighting position (because he was a handy shot, but wasn't going to be running anywhere) in front of the invading hordes of Nippon...

...no, he didn't survive.

(Will check the Regimental History on that one, and amend as necessary...)
Thats posted in the History forum somewhere I think.....

As to the ACF being reservists I believe that they were raised in Napoleonic times but whether this was as a feeder organisation to the militias or as a reserve proper or a bit of both I don't know.

G

Goku

Don’t cadet officers count as reservists as they hold a CAT B commission, and as such are part of the army?

msr said:
clownbasher said:
msr said:
In my opinion, O/Cdts should be invited to all Officers' Mess functions.
Quite - someone needs to set the tables, serve the drinks, etc.
What? Give them sharp objects like knives? Heavens above you like living dangerously ;)

msr
We are fortunate in having some balsa wood cutlery and at worst, chopsticks although with hindisght, they could be lethal. Fortunately our officer cadet has an IQ and shoesize that are remarkably similar and he has small feet !!

Not sure about the ACF. But ATC adult officers were considered reservists. They had RAF(VR) commisons. But in the event of a call up they would only be given admin and clerical roles etc.

Goku said:
Don’t cadet officers count as reservists as they hold a CAT B commission, and as such are part of the army?
I thought they held an ACF commission which is not quite the same as a TA Gp B commision. The commissioning process for ACF officers used to be attend Territorial Commissioning Board but at the end of the weekend if they had met the standard for ACF they had an interview with an ACF senior bod and were then commissioned based on the result of TCB and the interview. Now that all TA boards are carried out at Westbury and soon to become a joint TA/Reg process I don't know how the ACF process now works.

OTC Officer Cadets who commision gain a Group B commission however in this case the difference is merely terms of service as the pre-requisites for getting to RMAS are the same as Group A and it is the same commisioning course. The difference being of course that once commissioned Gp B that is pretty much the peak of training achievement and you progress no further unless you transfer to Gp A.

One other category is NRPS - Non-Regular Permanent Service. Basically full time appointments wearing uniform but not regulars and not TA, usually "Home Service (Not NI)" engagements (also heard the abreviation NRPS explained as Not Really Proper Soldiers but I would never cast such an aspersion... well ok, maybe once or twice :lol: )

CWO_Rtd said:
Not sure about the ACF. But ATC adult officers were considered reservists. They had RAF(VR) commisons. But in the event of a call up they would only be given admin and clerical roles etc.
[ spotter mode]

Actually Officers in air training corps are commisioned into the RAFVR(Training Branch) whilst adult NCO's were given Warrant Officer rank in the Air Training Corps, not part of RAF in any way. I understand there are now also adult Sgt/Flight sgt posts but am not sure

[extreme spotter mode ]

Reference mobilisation - the RAFVR(T) had absolutely no war role and in the event of general war being declared AP{Air Publication}1919 (Equivalent of TA regs for the RAFVR(T) ) actually stated that RAFVR(T) would be disbanded and all officers had NO war role. This was all back in the day when Ivan was poised ready to come rampaging over the IGB sweeping all in his path, given the threat these days I doubt this has changed.

Sad to say though that as with all walks of life I did encounter a few VR(T) chaps who bigged up there "war role - can't really talk aout it, hush hush" down the pub on a sat night, never actually dropped them in it though, just used to sit there chuckling to myself

[/extreme spotter mode]

[/spotter mode]

my god, it's official, I can spout shiyte on almost any subject :oops: :oops: :oops:

Latest Threads