Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reservist Advice

So I have got to the stage in life when I want to try something different. I run regularly and have entered several marathons and half marathons. I have over 15 years of experience in IT Support. I would like to be able to use these skills along with my degree to learn new skills.

However, I am not getting any younger. I applied for one unit near me and they basically said I didn't meet the requirements.

My questions are if I don't get into one unit can I apply for others?
I assume I am generally limited to which units I can join by where I live?
Can join the army effect household insurance or other health insurance?
What is the max-age to join the Army vs the RAF? ( again if I don't live near any RAF locations then I guess there is little point me applying for them).

So I have got to the stage in life when I want to try something different. I run regularly and have entered several marathons and half marathons. I have over 15 years of experience in IT Support. I would like to be able to use these skills along with my degree to learn new skills.

However, I am not getting any younger. I applied for one unit near me and they basically said I didn't meet the requirements.

What is the max-age to join the Army vs the RAF? ( again if I don't live near any RAF locations then I guess there is little point me applying for them).

Why didn't you meet their requirements?

Given the background described, the national units may be of interest, have a look at LIAG or JS cyber.

Max age to join the Army Reserve is 50. Your online application must be in by your 50th birthday. Bear in mind retirement age is still 55. After that you can apply for annual extensions, but once you are into the extensions you cannot promote. Whatever you are at 55 is what you stay (much to my annoyance, I’m 56 in January and about to start my second extension).

Max age to join the Army Reserve is 50. Your online application must be in by your 50th birthday. Bear in mind retirement age is still 55. After that you can apply for annual extensions, but once you are into the extensions you cannot promote. Whatever you are at 55 is what you stay (much to my annoyance, I’m 56 in January and about to start my second extension).
ok thanks im 42, I will have a look at some of the national units as the other guy said.

I’m way out of date but they didn’t seem to mind how far you commute. Well worth the drive to do something you want. Well worth something to eat and a break on a long knackered Sunday evening drive though.

Hmmm, fancy doing something a bit different along the M4 at Bath, and doing one of the coolest jobs in the army?

Ahhhh-hem! *clearing throat in preparation.

255 Tactical Air Control Party (TACP) Battery are the Army’s only dedicated TACP unit, regular or reserve. We are responsible for air battle space management (think aggressivel air traffic control with lots more besides) and terminal attack control. Basically controlling fast air, and attack helicopters providing close air support.

We are a busy unit. It’s probably fair to say we usually get more foreign travel than anyone outside of SF. In the space of four years I’ve been to Germany twice, Czech twice, France and USA. Others have been to Canada and Estonia.

You’d start off learning to be a TACP signaller, but once you reach Bombardier you can train as a JTAC (Joint Terminal Attack Controller). The Battery is held in high regard for our commitment and capability. You’ll also be treated as an adult no matter how low your rank. Not something that can be said about all units.

We recruit nationally, but on a Regional commitment ie you can come from anywhere, but your minimum is 27 days per year. We have soldiers who come from as far afield as Scotland and Cornwall.

It really is one of the best roles in the Army. If you want to know more please feel free to ask

Latest Threads