Reserves, VTOD, LSA and Ops continued....

Good evening,

I’m posting this thread as a continuation to a previous thread (with a similar title) in hopes of getting further answers.

My present situation is this;

Myself and a fellow squaddie are reserve soldiers currently attached to a regular battalion on force protection operations in Cyprus. We were not mobilised/deployed before going overseas.

We have been told that we are entitled to Temporary LOA (we do not qualify for full since we will not be overseas for <182 days) however our parent unit has said that we will not be entitled to LSA in line with our regular counterparts

This is because we are currently under the terms of Voluntary Training Other Duties, which under JSP 752 10.0107 H, states that reserve soldiers are not entitled to LSA under the terms of VTOD.

My questions are such;

-Can the “Other Duties” in VTOD include being on Operations ?

- If not should I be on an Additional Duties Commitment ?

-Finally since we are having no luck with our own parent unit, to whom should can we raise this issue ? (Service complaint ?)

Many thanks for reading,

Operations = FTRS(FC) or mobilisation unless it’s a short term UK based flood relief type of sketch
In 20 odd years of being a STAB I have never seen anyone deployed on an operation overseas on VTOD longest in one go I have seen someone do on VTOD was 7 weeks on exercise in Canada at batus, even the people who went for 3-6 months as temp staff went on FTRS contracts
Ring Chilwell they will tell you the real way things should be

I’ve been out here for on ops for 2 months already, with another 2 planned

My friend has been here for 3.

I believe we should have at least been put on an ADC or mobilised,

Do you know where I can find contact details for Chillwell ?

Chilwell - Reserve training and mobilisation centre. RTMC. I would have a look on Modnet if I was you....

Operations = FTRS(FC) or mobilisation unless it’s a short term UK based flood relief type of sketch
In 20 odd years of being a STAB I have never seen anyone deployed on an operation overseas on VTOD longest in one go I have seen someone do on VTOD was 7 weeks on exercise in Canada at batus, even the people who went for 3-6 months as temp staff went on FTRS contracts
Ring Chilwell they will tell you the real way things should be
I know at least one officer who did a week in Iraq on MTDs as a pre-deployment recce. Can't see that happening these days though.

Are you on Op TOSCA or with BFC?

Although Reservists can be mobilised for any task that a Regular service person can be utilsed, the Army is reluctant to mobilise anyone for anything. The problem is if people continue to volunteer on appalling terms and conditions this will never change. You clearly volunteered, and failed to understand the T&Cs and the difference it makes.

As well as LSA, the fact you are getting paid five days a week instead of seven, reduced X Factor, no civilian employment protection, reduced AFPS pension etc. You have been bummed. I hope you sort if for the sake of the rest of us.

Are you on Op TOSCA or with BFC?

Although Reservists can be mobilised for any task that a Regular service person can be utilsed, the Army is reluctant to mobilise anyone for anything. The problem is if people continue to volunteer on appalling terms and conditions this will never change. You clearly volunteered, and failed to understand the T&Cs and the difference it makes.

As well as LSA, the fact you are getting paid five days a week instead of seven, reduced X Factor, no civilian employment protection, reduced AFPS pension etc. You have been bummed. I hope you sort if for the sake of the rest of us.
Not here on TOSCA, but it is an Operation providing force protection for certain SBA bases. I was pretty naive at the time thinking that I would be squared away (by my unit) and as such didn’t really look into/ ask about my terms of service before flying out to Cyprus. When on OPs were are being paid for every day however technically when we go on rest we shouldn’t be paid.

I brought up the issue with my platoon commander from 3Rang and the response from Battalion RAWO was that our JPA move and track states we are “in Cyprus on Exercise/course/training”, he also received no “operational mounting instructions pertaining to your current duties/location so cannot ammend JPA”

So long story short, they won’t give us the LSA because we are on MTDs!

I’m thinking about emailing my OC to raise the issue because I don’t find the RAWO response satisfactory and my platoon commander won’t raise the issue anymore

Last edited:
I have no dog in this fight but it would seem to be that your unit are utter shite for not making sure you're sorted out properly.

Not here on TOSCA, but it is an Operation providing force protection for certain SBA bases. I was pretty naive at the time thinking that I would be squared away (by my unit) and as such didn’t really look into/ ask about my terms of service before flying out to Cyprus. When on OPs were are being paid for every day however technically when we go on rest we shouldn’t be paid.

I brought up the issue with my platoon commander from 3Rang and the response from Battalion RAWO was that our JPA move and track states we are “in Cyprus on Exercise/course/training”, he also received no “operational mounting instructions pertaining to your current duties/location so cannot ammend JPA”

So long story short, they won’t give us the LSA because we are on MTDs!

I’m thinking about emailing my OC to raise the issue because I don’t find the RAWO response satisfactory and my platoon commander won’t raise the issue anymore
Can I suggest your coy 2ic would be a good place to start rather than OC direct, maybe your CSM?

Can I suggest your coy 2ic would be a good place to start rather than OC direct, maybe your CSM?
I hardly really know the company 2ic ! Whereas I am known by the OC (not for the wrong reasons), at this point Ive been having pay issue for 2 months now. From what people are saying, both on here and the regulars I’m working alongside, myself and my friend are being screwed over. My platoon commander was unwilling to upset head shed so I don’t feel like I’m out of place going to my OC. Although I could be wrong.