Reserves Sick Pay

Daisy7981

Swinger
Just to pre-empt any eye-rolling: he hasn't stubbed his toe, he has Ptsd following his mobilisation to Kuwait and then as part of the invading force into Iraq in 2003. He received his diagnosis within 5 months of returning so has lived with it for 16 years. He has remained in the reserves for most of the last 16 years (with a 4 year break between 2006 and 2009.)

You've probably gathered that I'm talking in the third person, I'm his wife. Apologies if I'm not meant to be on here but, as a reservist wife, I have no contact with other people in the Army who can maybe answer some questions I have. I hope you can maybe help.

Despite odd episodes across the years, he has continued normally with civilian life and employment, until April last year. Then he began to suffer a significant recurrence of symptoms. The last 18 months has been horrific. Due to long term sickness absence from his civilian job, he decided to take voluntary redundancy in January this year. In reality, he was so poorly he didn't feel he could ever go back. (Arguably his decision making has been seriously affected by the ptsd and taking redundancy was probably not the wisest choice.) He then decided that in order to keep earning he would do extra reserve days, thus keeping an income that would support us all. Needless to say his ptsd has continued to worsen (I won't bore you with the battle I've had with the NHS to get him treated (18 mths into this relapse he starts treatment next week )) Finally, he has had to accept that he has to leave the reserves. He will not get better while still involved. This has been devastating for him, however, the psychiatrist at DCMH has recommended medical discharge. (For clarity DCMH won't treat him as he's a reservist.)

In the meantime, of course, he is no longer receiving any income. I got him to submit his sick notes but the response has come back that as he wasn't on a contract he won't get sick pay.

Now, I can understand this in relation to a stubbed toe, for example, but given that he is ill because of service, I don't understand this. I fear it is correct, in that that is the policy but is anyone aware of a way round this. They definitely have a moral duty.

I'd be grateful for anyone's thoughts.
Thanks

Has he been clinically diagnosed with PTSD due to things he was exposed to whilst deployed as a cause of his current mental health issues?

morsk

LE
Just to pre-empt any eye-rolling: he hasn't stubbed his toe, he has Ptsd following his mobilisation to Kuwait and then as part of the invading force into Iraq in 2003. He received his diagnosis within 5 months of returning so has lived with it for 16 years. He has remained in the reserves for most of the last 16 years (with a 4 year break between 2006 and 2009.)

You've probably gathered that I'm talking in the third person, I'm his wife. Apologies if I'm not meant to be on here but, as a reservist wife, I have no contact with other people in the Army who can maybe answer some questions I have. I hope you can maybe help.

Despite odd episodes across the years, he has continued normally with civilian life and employment, until April last year. Then he began to suffer a significant recurrence of symptoms. The last 18 months has been horrific. Due to long term sickness absence from his civilian job, he decided to take voluntary redundancy in January this year. In reality, he was so poorly he didn't feel he could ever go back. (Arguably his decision making has been seriously affected by the ptsd and taking redundancy was probably not the wisest choice.) He then decided that in order to keep earning he would do extra reserve days, thus keeping an income that would support us all. Needless to say his ptsd has continued to worsen (I won't bore you with the battle I've had with the NHS to get him treated (18 mths into this relapse he starts treatment next week )) Finally, he has had to accept that he has to leave the reserves. He will not get better while still involved. This has been devastating for him, however, the psychiatrist at DCMH has recommended medical discharge. (For clarity DCMH won't treat him as he's a reservist.)

In the meantime, of course, he is no longer receiving any income. I got him to submit his sick notes but the response has come back that as he wasn't on a contract he won't get sick pay.

Now, I can understand this in relation to a stubbed toe, for example, but given that he is ill because of service, I don't understand this. I fear it is correct, in that that is the policy but is anyone aware of a way round this. They definitely have a moral duty.

I'd be grateful for anyone's thoughts.
Thanks
He needs to take this to an MO via his CoC. His PSI will point him in the right direction. The MO may well refer him to a MH unit and from there a decision will be made. There is absolutely NO mileage in asking strangers on an internet forum made up by 75% never served civies, a bunch of old men that have not served since 58 pattern webbing was on issue and winos. Good luck with the med route, but it is not a fast track by any means. Hope this helps.

ETA a couple of the mods are TA. They may be able to give you names of MOs worth seeing,,,,

Speak to SSAFA or The Royal British Legion regarding a War Pension.

Speak to H4H regarding getting help with his PTSD and for yourself.

Daisy7981

Swinger
He needs to take this to an MO via his CoC. His PSI will point him in the right direction. The MO may well refer him to a MH unit and from there a decision will be made. There is absolutely NO mileage in asking strangers on an internet forum made up by 75% never served civies, a bunch of old men that have not served since 58 pattern webbing was on issue and winos. Good luck with the med route, but it is not a fast track by any means. Hope this helps.

ETA a couple of the mods are TA. They may be able to give you names of MOs worth seeing,,,,
Sorry, I was locked out of the thread for an hour!

Thanks, morsk. Asking an Internet forum certainly isn't my first choice but I'm short of options, so I do appreciate your help. I'm prepared for an eye-roll on this: is MO medical officer and presumably CoC is chain of command? I'm having to deal with this for him as he's really poorly. I can't ask him even these simple questions about acronyms. Thanks

Yes. He was diagnosed with ptsd at DCMH in 2003 and his diagnosis was changed to PTSD (severe) in August 2019.
In that case, there should be a whole raft of things, both medical and financial available to him. As someone else has said, he (or you) needs to go and speak to his PSI.

Thanks, morsk. Asking an Internet forum certainly isn't my first choice but I'm short of options, so I do appreciate your help. I'm prepared for an eye-roll on this: is MO medical officer and presumably CoC is chain of command? I'm having to deal with this for him as he's really poorly. I can't ask him even these simple questions about acronyms. Thanks
Yes, MO is Medical Officer, CoC - Chain of Command.

Don’t worry about asking questions, you’re obviously in a very difficult place and need a little help.

Daisy7981

Swinger
He should get a War Pension but he can't begin the application for that until discharge (I believe) which is going to be at least 3 months.

Thanks for the advice. I'm actually in touch with the psao so I'll arrange to go have a face to face with him. I'm going to take the sick notes, psychiatrist report from 2019 and his gp medical record which has information from last 18 months. Is there anything else that you think might be useful?

Thanks again ☺

morsk

LE

Roger. Go into the TA centre and the people there (dont go too early Monday, Weds afternoon or Fri afternoon) and speak to a member of permanent staff and make sure that they are regular.

Forces Pension Society

Sponsor
Sponsor
He should get a War Pension but he can't begin the application for that until discharge (I believe) which is going to be at least 3 months.

Thanks for the advice. I'm actually in touch with the psao so I'll arrange to go have a face to face with him. I'm going to take the sick notes, psychiatrist report from 2019 and his gp medical record which has information from last 18 months. Is there anything else that you think might be useful?

Thanks again ☺
Yes. Take a look at pages 26 and 27 of the attached.
I have looked back over the exchanges above and just want to be clear about what applies when. I am not sure whether there was a med discharge or one is pending.

If someone is medically discharged from the Reserve forces now (or since 1 April 2015) the booklet I attached earlier is the one to look at.

If the discharge was prior to 1 April 2015 TA service was not pensionable so there would be no invaliding pension.

There was mention of the condition being attributable so, if the condition had it origins prior to 6 April 2005, the War Pension Scheme is the route to claim and, as someone above mentioned, the individual has to leave the service in order to claim. The the condition has its origins from 6 April 2005 onwards, AFCS is the scheme to claim from. Dun-n-Dusted is the expert on this (I tip my hat to him).

Daisy7981

Swinger
I have looked back over the exchanges above and just want to be clear about what applies when. I am not sure whether there was a med discharge or one is pending.

If someone is medically discharged from the Reserve forces now (or since 1 April 2015) the booklet I attached earlier is the one to look at.

If the discharge was prior to 1 April 2015 TA service was not pensionable so there would be no invaliding pension.

There was mention of the condition being attributable so, if the condition had it origins prior to 6 April 2005, the War Pension Scheme is the route to claim and, as someone above mentioned, the individual has to leave the service in order to claim. The the condition has its origins from 6 April 2005 onwards, AFCS is the scheme to claim from. Dun-n-Dusted is the expert on this (I tip my hat to him).
Yes pre-2005 so WP applies and awaiting med discharge so afps15 applies.

Thanks for sending the document. Massively helpful ☺

Paging @dun_n_dusted

I think I am one of your worst critics but good advice

Slime

LE

I'm part of the 'old fart' age range, and cant offer you any worthwhile advice, but will wish you the best of luck. :)

It's really good to see you trying to help your partner, and even If posters here can only tell you what acronyms stand for or what not to do I hope it helps.

I would also ask the PSAO if they can ensure the Unit Welfare Officer is available while you are speaking to them, either by phone or in person.

The UWO is likely more up to date on the support available than the PSAO (not always, but the PSAO has many plates, with welfare being just one, the UWO should be focused on this).

I'd also suggest the PSAO is the correct person in the Army Reserve Centre, not a PSI (Permanent Staff Instructor). Please let us know how you get on - I know what the system is supposed to do and the PSAO is the best one to get it started for you, but have been lucky enough not to see it in action.

Latest Threads