Reserve's or regulars?

Hi.

I am new to this so go easy... I am from northern Ireland, male, 33 years old

I will be getting attested for the REME this week but from I've been a young fella i have always wanted a career in the army, my dad was it it and some other family members so it's always been what i wanted to do, for years I was getting turned away due to my weight and height which was hard to take but I went away and I done what I needed to do and got the grades I needed to join the REME.

I am now in two minds should I join the resevers or go full time , I'm 33 now but I'm fit play football 4 times a week and coach football also times a week , my csm says it's up to me what path I pick now.

I would like some advice please on this , but also I don't really get the reserves pay?

On a drill night you don't get the day rate so is it just an hourly rate etc.

Sorry if the grammar isn't good , as I say this is my 3rd time of trying to get in and I can't see me having any problems with the basic trainning. So it's a big decision that I need your help with.

Sorry if this isn't in that right place , Thank you for your time.

Gary.

At 33 you have time, get your reserve basic done, get into a platoon and see of you enjoy it in general. Speak to the PSI about maybe going regular and see what they advise, speak to the ex regulars you will come across in the reserve and make a decision based on those factors.

The REME are a fine Corps.
The Reserves mean its Drill Night & Weekends with good training.
103 REME (R) good PSI's & FTRS staff and well led with a good whole training package on offer each year.

Regular Army and you will get a good career, Tiffy in most trades these days.
Not been to Lyneham as it was Bordon when I attened SEME as did other Cap Badges.

Depends what you want really, a full time career, pension and good prospects.
Or as a Reserve, part time but doing a regular job.

With the Reserves you can leave if you get fed up, Regular its full on 24hrs & 24/7.
But housing, free medical care, good training, better pay and a chance to shine?

103 REME (R) good PSI's & FTRS staff and well led with a good whole training package on offer each year.

Not been to Lyneham as it was Bordon when I attened SEME as did other Cap Badges.

With the Reserves you can leave if you get fed up, Regular its full on 24hrs & 24/7.
But housing, free medical care, good training, better pay and a chance to shine?
Pro rata pension for reserves now.

Thank you for your reply , so you would advise me to do the reseves basic trainning rather than the full reg basic trainning?

I have a friend in the army he has told me to get away and go full time and I won't regret it, I don't work or anything at the moment as I had my own business which kinda went bad. It may sound werid also but apart from my mates in football I don't bother with anyone , so I'm thinking if I don't do it now I will reget it as it's been the 3rd time of me trying to get in.

I know the decisions up to me, but my heart says go full time , but I've been told it's all kids in the regs trainning?

Up to you if you want a career or you want to serve round your normal job and train on weekends.
Regulars would give you a trade, travel, good pay and prospects.
Reserves would offer trade training, some travel, pay and new skills.

However the Regular training will be in more depth and give you more experience.
As a reserve soldier only so much you can teach in a 2 or 3 week course & weekends.

It really depends on what you want out of it?

I know a Class 3 armorer who went on Op Herrick, passed Class2 training on tour and had lots of work to carry out, they did very well and came back to the reserves and was offered a Reserve Commission which they took up. So going on a tour can help your trade, give you valuable experience with the regulars.

That's great advice thanks , I get attested on the 12th of this month so I'm not sure when basic would start for both but, I need to make a decision soon.

In the reserves how many times a week can you go in , is it possible to go on as much as you want and volunteer for anything they may need you for?

I'm not sure if it's the same for all reserve units .
But I have had mates that are ex regulars that have joined reserve units, and then decided to go back to full time after a couple of years on civvy street . Only to be I don't want to say stopped from leaving the reserve unit as numbers were low . But they certainly were not pushed though speedily in fact some where talking about going down the route of applying as a new recruit as it was taking so long going through the army .

That's great advice thanks , I get attested on the 12th of this month so I'm not sure when basic would start for both but, I need to make a decision soon.

In the reserves how many times a week can you go in , is it possible to go on as much as you want and volunteer for anything they may need you for?
Maximum 207 days a year. If there’s stuff to do, you can do it. I average 170-180 days a year.

I didn't know this? I didn't think you could do that many days a year, I thought 27 was the most you needed to do.

How do you fit all them days in with a day job ?
19 to 27 days, depending on type of unit, is the minimum requirement. If you're able to do more, you can.

I'm self-employed, and I treat the AR as my primary focus. I do my civvy stuff as something to fill in when there's no Army stuff to do.

19 to 27 days, depending on type of unit, is the minimum requirement. If you're able to do more, you can.

I'm self-employed, and I treat the AR as my primary focus. I do my civvy stuff as something to fill in when there's no Army stuff to do.
Is this full days you do or would that just be the 2hours at night? I was self employed so this would work out well for me , I feel like I would be missing out tho as I would love to go away and see the world , places where I might never get to see etc.

I will need to speak to them about reserves but I don't think they would have alot to do in this country in the REME. I could be wrong though, thank you for the advise once again use have all been a big help. I will let use know my decision after o get attested this week.

Thanks again

Gary.

I'm not sure if it's the same for all reserve units .
But I have had mates that are ex regulars that have joined reserve units, and then decided to go back to full time after a couple of years on civvy street . Only to be I don't want to say stopped from leaving the reserve unit as numbers were low . But they certainly were not pushed though speedily in fact some where talking about going down the route of applying as a new recruit as it was taking so long going through the army .
This isn't good I wouldnt like that to happen, yeah it's been a slow process for me I applied about 1 year and 3 months ago and only getting the ctc though now.

Hi is that full on 7 days a week or just a normal working week? I hear loads of story's but it's probably the case where I won't know what it's like until I am in it and experience it all for myself.

Yeah I picked the REME because from day one I have been treated really good and t get have always been in touch regarding my progress.

Is this full days you do or would that just be the 2hours at night? I was self employed so this would work out well for me , I feel like I would be missing out tho as I would love to go away and see the world , places where I might never get to see etc.

I will need to speak to them about reserves but I don't think they would have alot to do in this country in the REME. I could be wrong though, thank you for the advise once again use have all been a big help. I will let use know my decision after o get attested this week.

Thanks again

Gary.
It’s a combination of exercises/camp/courses, weekends, and drill nights.