Reserves - Non Deployable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clanker
I’m looking at applying for the reserves but I have a medical condition that may see me get knocked back. All it is migraines, 2 or 3 every year when I’m stressed and sleep deprived over a very long period. I’ve read that I’d you've had one in the last 2 years you can’t join. Is it possible if I’m knocked back at the medical that I can ask to join but go on a non-deployable list if they don’t think I’m fit/healthy enough? So I can still join. I once worked with a bloke who was in the TA as it was and his knee was knackered, he said he wouldn’t be deployed because of the knee but he could still stay in as he was a storeman.

After all, if I was joining the regulars I could understand them knocking me back. I’d have to be really unlucky to have a migraine on one of the 27-40 days a year in the reserves. Or, I could lie on the application and say I don’t get them and hope I don’t get one when away with the reserves, which I don’t want to do.

Any help is welcome.

ugly

LE
Non deployable reserves? I was going to be silly but there is a specific medical questionnaire sticky in the recruitment threads. Ask there.

Assuming no one mentions B_B.

Clanker
Non deployable reserves? I was going to be silly but there is a specific medical questionnaire sticky in the recruitment threads. Ask there.

Assuming no one mentions B_B.
Yep. I appreciate it sounds silly, but there’s only one way to clear it up. I didn’t want to not bother applying and find out in the future that there is a way of still serving in the reserves with a minor medical condition.

I’ll post in the medical questionnaire sticky.

Prefaced with I am not a doctor... The medical standards are absolute on joining. *Some* people may be retained in a lower category if they develop the condition while serving, but that's not a guarantee (I write as someone who was discharged having lost that battle).

The army will look at your conditions and make a judgement call - it's not about "I'm only committing to 40 days or whatever so what are the chances?" The army will work out exactly what the chances are - it's pointless taking on a training/service risk at the front door.

Whatever you do, don't lie about it. Even in the reserves dishonourable/admin discharges aren't a great look...

Think about it logically - there's no harm in trying to join and finding out the chapter and verse, but dispassionately your post does read a bit like "if I'm not fit enough to join can they waive the fitness so I can still join?"

Suggest passing the medical first and then see what happens?
Some Reserves see it as extra money, training & a boys/girls club whilst others are keen to deploy overseas.
It might depend on the trade you are in & who we are fighting/protecting at the time of deployment?

Some Reserves see it as extra money, training & a boys/girls club whilst others are keen to deploy overseas.
Yes, but the difference is that they all got in through the door before some made clear their deployment dodging tendencies...

I wholeheartedly agree that the only way to know is to go for it - but be prepared to be knocked back. If you don't even try, you'll never know.

Clanker
Yes, but the difference is that they all got in through the door before some made clear their deployment dodging tendencies...

I wholeheartedly agree that the only way to know is to go for it - but be prepared to be knocked back. If you don't even try, you'll never know.
True, if I don’t try I’ll never know.

"sleep deprived over a long period" - there's your answer. That is a common scenario in the Army, you would be a liability to yourself and others with a migraine in the field (exercise or ops).

Atilla

Clanker
I’m looking at applying for the reserves but I have a medical condition that may see me get knocked back. All it is migraines, 2 or 3 every year when I’m stressed and sleep deprived over a very long period. I’ve read that I’d you've had one in the last 2 years you can’t join. Is it possible if I’m knocked back at the medical that I can ask to join but go on a non-deployable list if they don’t think I’m fit/healthy enough? So I can still join. I once worked with a bloke who was in the TA as it was and his knee was knackered, he said he wouldn’t be deployed because of the knee but he could still stay in as he was a storeman.

After all, if I was joining the regulars I could understand them knocking me back. I’d have to be really unlucky to have a migraine on one of the 27-40 days a year in the reserves. Or, I could lie on the application and say I don’t get them and hope I don’t get one when away with the reserves, which I don’t want to do.

Any help is welcome.
I find your post rather bizarre. Perhaps your first question, to yourself, should be 'why do I want to join the reserve?'. Your second one might be 'what is the reserve and what is its purpose?'
We all get something out of our membership of the reserve but primarily our reason for service is exactly that 'service'. You serve your country and the reason why there are minimum standards is so that you can be useful in that service. A non-deployable soldier may be accommodated temporarily but ultimately becomes a drain on resources.
The army also has a duty of care to everyone in it. This includes those around you who may suffer as a result of you deciding to have a migraine when they most need you - likely during times of stress and sleep deprivation. Storeman still have to deploy as do clerks etc.

ugly

LE
I find your post rather bizarre. Perhaps your first question, to yourself, should be 'why do I want to join the reserve?'. Your second one might be 'what is the reserve and what is its purpose?'
We all get something out of our membership of the reserve but primarily our reason for service is exactly that 'service'. You serve your country and the reason why there are minimum standards is so that you can be useful in that service. A non-deployable soldier may be accommodated temporarily but ultimately becomes a rain on resour ces.
Will the op know unless they try?

Quite - I don't think there's anything wrong in pointing out why it feels unlikely, but at the same time I don't think any of us are actually GPs doing the medical so OP may as well chance their arm.

I'd reiterate the only other bit of advice that I can't stress enough - don't lie about it.

Atilla

Clanker
No but I find the desire to join and not deploy bizarre. There should also certainly be no question of lying about their medical conditions as there is more at stake than their ability to join. But I also

ugly

LE
I'd reiterate the only other bit of advice that I can't stress enough - don't lie about it.
I doubt they would be able to if its on his med records at his GP.
My youngest gets them.
He is being treated/investigated. I doubt he could slip through any net.
Whilst I wouldn't lie I certainly wouldn't offer it unless asked.

Clanker
Quite - I don't think there's anything wrong in pointing out why it feels unlikely, but at the same time I don't think any of us are actually GPs doing the medical so OP may as well chance their arm.

True, though I don’t suspect they’d value my honesty as I’d be down the road as a result.

I doubt they would be able to if its on his med records at his GP.
My youngest gets them.
He is being treated/investigated. I doubt he could slip through any net.
Whilst I wouldn't lie I certainly wouldn't offer it unless asked.
lying by ommision used to get people kicked out while I was at an ATR, in some cases for conditions that wouldn't normally exclude people from service. 'Defect on enlistment'
I'm sure the various medicals also ask questions about any other medical information. I forget the wording that used to be used.

ugly

LE
The OP has taken it to the correct thread, can we stop commenting here now please?

Clanker
No but I find the desire to join and not deploy bizarre. There should also certainly be no question of lying about their medical conditions as there is more at stake than their ability to join. But I also
I’m not looking to join and not deploy, what I was asking was if they don’t think I’m medically fit because I get the odd migraine. Is it possible to still join but be put on a list of where I would basically be sat on the subs bench.

Eg I can’t see the reserves being called upon for another Telic any time soon, but there are reserves that can volunteer to be deployed. Now I’m sure there’s people that have joined the TA/AR and never been to Iraq or Afghanistan on tour. So what I was asking is if for something minor, could they allow me in and basically put a black mark against my cards to say ‘Not fit for deployment’ as I really want to join.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads