Reserve soldier to officer prospects after phase 1

InvictusNow

Swinger
Evening All,

I wanted to ask the following question having spoken to a few people and also searched online (on this site as well as elsewhere):

Has anyone here entered as a reserve soldier and then - after basic training (and/or regiment training) - later switched to progress a reserve officer application?

The reason for asking is that a while back I attended a regimental selection event and narrowly missed the threshold required for officer selection but passed that required for soldier selection. If i had to choose between going into this regiment as a soldier or another regiment as an officer I would choose the regiment, BUT!... I am still keen to progress down the reserve officer path within the regiment *if at all possible*.

I understand it is possible to qualify as a soldier within the regiment and then be sponsored by the unit to progress down the officer path. I was told this would be based on (a) the fact that I had a relatively narrrow miss for officer threshold and (b) a good first year demonstrating bearing and potential as an officer.

My quesion is: do you know anyone who has done this? What is the exact process? What are the pitfalls to watch out for and tips to succeed? Anything else you think I should know about the whole process?

Thanks,

RG

Just_plain_you

Old-Salt
What did you come up short on?

It's entirely possible to do, but you will need to demonstrate that you have addressed the areas of weakness.

InvictusNow

Swinger
What did you come up short on?

It's entirely possible to do, but you will need to demonstrate that you have addressed the areas of weakness.
Thanks for your reply.

Embarrasing as it sounds, it was the IQ assessment. From the scores i saw i did pretty well on everything else including the individual and group tests but it was the IQ test.

You could always ask for a retake at a later date. After I was in I expressed interest in a trade, was interviewed and told I had not met the initial requirements*, so they sent me for re-testing. Whizzed through no problem.

Go do the soldier thing for a while and then when you have shown everyone what a good egg you are then go see the unit admin officer.

InvictusNow

Swinger
Hi Effendi - that is exactly my instinct. What's driving the question is I am already old-ish and so mindful I only have so many years left to make my mark, progress etc.

You could always ask for a retake at a later date. After I was in I expressed interest in a trade, was interviewed and told I had not met the initial requirements*, so they sent me for re-testing. Whizzed through no problem.

Go do the soldier thing for a while and then when you have shown everyone what a good egg you are then go see the unit admin officer.

Last edited:
Evening All,

The reason for asking is that a while back I attended a regimental selection event and narrowly missed the threshold required for officer selection but passed that required for soldier selection.

Thanks,
RG
Not many places do that...

Hi Effendi - that is exactly my instinct. What's driving the question is I am already 45 and so mindful I only have so many years left to make my mark, progress etc.
How to blow your handle in two posts.

Hi Effendi - that is exactly my instinct. What's driving the question is I am already 45 and so mindful I only have so many years left to make my mark, progress etc.
On here we have all sorts from reservists to retired Brigadiers, cooks to SAS. If you ask any one of us if we joined to climb the slippy ladder I can more or less guarantee the answer would be 'no'. Some joined for a job, others joined for the adventure or to learn a trade, but I doubt anyone joined to become the Chief of Staff or a Regimental Sergeant Major. The army is pretty good at finding the right people to do the right job and promoting accordingly based on their performance.

You have hiccuped at step one, get in and worry about being the best you can be before worrying, or even thinking about, promotion. Ask yourself, and answer honestly, do you want to be an officer so that you can tell all your mates you are an officer, or are you really capable of leading people for the right reasons.

InvictusNow

Swinger
Not many places do that...

How to blow your handle in two posts.
Hi there tearsbeforebedtime - while the assessors could identify me from this post I am careful not to give anything away and the question is a valid one about process - was really just looking for some useful comments from people who may have done this.

Last edited:

InvictusNow

Swinger
Good advice, thanks, just getting stuck in is also where my instincts are. It is definitely more about the role - and the great bunch of people I have met - than anything else.

On here we have all sorts from reservists to retired Brigadiers, cooks to SAS. If you ask any one of us if we joined to climb the slippy ladder I can more or less guarantee the answer would be 'no'. Some joined for a job, others joined for the adventure or to learn a trade, but I doubt anyone joined to become the Chief of Staff or a Regimental Sergeant Major. The army is pretty good at finding the right people to do the right job and promoting accordingly based on their performance.

You have hiccuped at step one, get in and worry about being the best you can be before worrying, or even thinking about, promotion. Ask yourself, and answer honestly, do you want to be an officer so that you can tell all your mates you are an officer, or are you really capable of leading people for the right reasons.

Latest Threads