Reserve Officer - The Application Process

AB2020

Swinger
This is a great thread. I applied as a Reserve Officer early March then Covid kicked in and have had a slow process so far.

I’m just waiting for Assessment Centres to reopen then I am off there.

I’ve had limited contact with unit so far (currently not able to attend) but have been getting different information from unit, CSM and YODA. I was planning on briefing and main board (with drill nights and potentially mod A between) but unit seems keen on phase 1a and b first.

I will see what happens when everything reopens......

Leo93

Swinger
This is a great thread. I applied as a Reserve Officer early March then Covid kicked in and have had a slow process so far.

I’m just waiting for Assessment Centres to reopen then I am off there.

I’ve had limited contact with unit so far (currently not able to attend) but have been getting different information from unit, CSM and YODA. I was planning on briefing and main board (with drill nights and potentially mod A between) but unit seems keen on phase 1a and b first.

I will see what happens when everything reopens......
I’m waiting too. Went through selection just before this kicked off. Waiting to get attested. I think training will resume fully in September though!

Still waiting for assessment centre. Spoke with the CSM who said that briefings and Main board are the priority. had my March assessment date cancelled. Would be nice to get back on the process..... good luck.
I wonder if units ask you to do the soldier training first because it makes their training figures better? That’s the route I’m taking, and for me it makes sense. If I balls up the main board I still get paid and can be deployed as part of my unit.

Reserve 'basic' is equivalent to Mod A.
Units like you to do that first so that should RMAS go wrong then you can come in as a reserve soldier, this doesn't work the other way.

I think (out of date on this), that you get a pay rise too, so go to RMAS earning more per day, no bad thing.

The Candidate support managers have a flow chart and process they need to follow, but it isn't necessarily the best for all units or people.

AB2020

Swinger
Reserve 'basic' is equivalent to Mod A.
Units like you to do that first so that should RMAS go wrong then you can come in as a reserve soldier, this doesn't work the other way.

I think (out of date on this), that you get a pay rise too, so go to RMAS earning more per day, no bad thing.

The Candidate support managers have a flow chart and process they need to follow, but it isn't necessarily the best for all units or people.
So if I go to Main Board and fail I then cannot start phase 1 as a soldier and forget officer route?

Just received an update today from CSM, saying regular training is restarting then they are looking at reopening assessment centres at reduced capacity.

Leo93

Swinger
So if I go to Main Board and fail I then cannot start phase 1 as a soldier and forget officer route?

Just received an update today from CSM, saying regular training is restarting then they are looking at reopening assessment centres at reduced capacity.
I'm waiting to go on my Phase A, my CSM said its likely to be around september now!

You can, but may have wasted mod A by then...

AB2020

Swinger
Got it. The Mod A is Officer focused so extra unneeded training if I fail main board.

But on the flip side, if I do Phase 1a and 1b which is equivalent to Mod A, then go onto Mod B would I have missed anything?

Leo93 yes I heard proper restarts to training was likely to be Sept, just that they may adapt selection to get help with backlog of applications.

I will obviously speak to my unit once things settle and come up with a plan.

Got it. The Mod A is Officer focused so extra unneeded training if I fail main board.

But on the flip side, if I do Phase 1a and 1b which is equivalent to Mod A, then go onto Mod B would I have missed anything?

Leo93 yes I heard proper restarts to training was likely to be Sept, just that they may adapt selection to get help with backlog of applications.

No, in fact you will have additional military knowledge of things like CBRN, covered in mod D of the commissioning course, post provisional commission being gained.

Ok team!
passed AC got attested. Now doing Mod A in January I think. I was originally told I was doing Alpha and Bravo

any tips for Mod A / B gratefully received.
Rich

Leo93

Swinger

Got booked in 23rd October in Cardiff. Bit of a trek but happy days!

Hi Guys

I am currently at the start of the selection process and happy to update you with the latest info as it happens.

1. Started selection process on Oct 2019, but due to work issues I felt I couldn't commit to the time off required to pass
2. Since left that job and restarted the application in April 2020 - COVID has had a massive effect on the amount of applicants they can process
3. Been training with my unit weekly. This has been really helpful as it gets you "into the gear of things", we are learning how to strip weapons, field craft etc. The Colour Sergeant is always on hand to help with questions
4. Have my pre-selection in Pirbrite on the 22/09. This consists of
i. 2km bleep test. Since I am heavy infantry this is to level 10.7
ii. Health test
iii. Cognitive tests
iv. Basic interview (why do you want to join etc)

You need to get there by 7pm the day before and BRING A TOWEL was the feedback I got from others in the unit who recently passed. They are not holding leadership drills

5. Once you receive your pass/fail (and grade) you then have various interviews within your company to make sure they feel you are the right officer for the company and then it is on to selection which I will keep everyone up to date with as more info comes in.....assuming I pass on the 22nd

Latest Threads