Reserve Officer - The Application Process

D_Gun2019

Swinger
Hi,

I started the process to apply as a reserve officer - I have spoken to the CSM, I have met my chosen reserve unit and I have just been through the 'Assessment Centre'. (July - Application : February - AC pass)

I still have to:
- Attest (provided the pre-checks come through okay)
- Set up the AOSB Briefing Date
- Training; either:
-- Phase 1 Alpha and Bravo; or
-- Module A (of the officer course)
- Depending on CAT from the Briefing, set up Main AOSB
- Hopefully success then rest of the Modules!

I have been using the site to find what is expected in the Assessment Centre and the AOSB (and wish it was here the first time I did all this). It has been a big help. But there seems to be a lack of 'discussions' of reserve officers and the current recruitment process. Have any new reserve officers been through/going this process?

After attesting have you gone to the 'training options' or straight onto the AOSB briefing? (or even both?) My CSM was not clear... need to wait for those pre-checks to finish!

Also just looking at my time line so far assuming success it could take 4 years to complete the training (1 module per year). is this what others have found or committed more 'holiday' time to shorten the process?

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
I did the course in 2017. I attested in Feb, then did Mod A (consolidated) in April, and Mod B (consolidated) in August. I never did AOSB, after a Sandhurst Champion weekend (a pre-AOSB course) and Mod B convinced me that I was not interested in being an officer. You can do A and B prior to passing AOSB, obviously, but you can't be loaded onto a Mod C until you have a Main Board pass. A contemporary of mine did all four units in one block (eight weeks, referred to as the "zero to hero" course) at Sandhurst. Personally, I think the Phase 1 A/B route is better than Mod A, particularly if you're above typical undergrad age, most of your fellow Mod A trainees will be OTC cadets.

D_Gun2019

Swinger
Thanks, you have included a lot of information there, plus I hadn't considered the AGE factor when choosing training - though the Assessment Centre was full of those younger than me and I or they didn't see it has a problem.

I am fairly committed to attending the AOSB and becoming an officer (if they allow it), if you look at it in time only 3 weeks alpha - bravo and 2 weeks Module A.

But then what's the rush......

D_Gun2019

Swinger
So the process goes on,

- Attestation complete, (the checks took 3 weeks)

There seemed to be some debate about 'training' (Phase 1 A + B) had to be complete before the AOSB briefing. I can confirm this is not the case. I was initially worried as I can barely fit in Alpha this year let alone Bravo.

With my initial point there seem to be very little option to do the Module 1/A (officer course), and everyone pushing the Phase 1 A + B. There was also a general consensus that OTC was not a good choice and takes far too much time, and less organised (advised opinion - not sure if representative of all OTCs).

Going forward I will:
- Set AOSB Briefing date
- Set a Phase 1 Alpha date

I may be able then to fit in a AOSB Main Board this year (depending on results). However that will be all I could realistically fit into 2019, assuming 'successful application process' scheduled to complete Module 4/D (officer course) 2023, what will the world look like then, glad I am in no rush!

D_Gun2019

Swinger
I am still going (luckily enough!).

I set up my AOSB briefing in May - I managed to get through with a CAT3P - due to a lack of confidence and impact on the group. This was mainly due the the 2 min introduction - started fine then looked towards the scrutiny of the assessor and got nervous, didn't realise it would be a possibility, maybe it was the idea of the prize than what I could lose.

This is why you have 'mock' tests, find out things you didn't think were issues. I worked on it for 6 months knowing that I could manage the nerves and still speak confidently and fluently. I was then ready for the AOSB Main Board in Nov. I worked hard and enjoyed the tough 3.5 day event and despite an incorrect individual planning exercise attempt I managed to pass and now have the opportunity to gain a Reserve Commission.

I haven't pursued any training between boards, no real extra time available, you also have to give up the time to do the boards.

I do plan to do the consolidated courses. Hopefully MOD A in Jan, MOD B Oct, then MOD C and D in Jan 21 or broken up over the year. At this time table I will be an officer in one and half years from now. rather than my previous predictions. I will continue my updates on if I run into any other developments and how this stage progresses.

Last edited:

I set up my AOSB briefing in May - I managed to get through with a CAT3P - due to a lack of confidence and impact on the group. This was mainly due the the 2 min introduction - started fine then looked towards the scrutiny of the assessor and got nervous, didn't realise it would be a possibility, maybe it was the idea of the prize than what I could lose.

This is way you have a 'mock' tests find out things you didn't think were issues. I worked on it for 6 months knowing that I could manage the nerves and still speak confidently and fluently. I was then ready for the AOSB Main Board in Nov. I worked hard and enjoyed the tough 3.5 day event and despite an incorrect individual planning exercise attempt I managed to pass and now have the opportunity to gain a Reserve Commission.

I haven't pursued any training between boards, no real extra time available, you also have to give up the time to do the boards.

I do plan to do the consolidated courses. Hopefully MOD A in Jan, MOD B Oct, then MOD C and D in Jan 21 or broken up over the year. At this time table I will be an officer in one and half years from now. rather than my previous predictions. I will continue my updates on if I run into any other developments and how this stage progresses.
I am currently part of the 'staff' at one of the OTCs. We generally run the mods at a rate of 1 per academic year, meaning that you can get MOD A done by July, but you would have to get a move on as you are now about 4 weeks and at least 1 weekend behind (timings for each OTC/OTR vary due to differences in university calenders)

Edit to clarify; first year in OTC =Mod A, 2nd =Mod B, 3rd = support for Mod A and B/leadership development/other Stuff.

I would give consideration to using the OTC route if the timings work better, many OTCs also run Leadership Development weekends prior to MOD C which may well be worth looking at when you get there as a refresher. Please PM me if you want to talk about OTC options near you.

This is why you have 'mock' tests, find out things you didn't think were issues. I worked on it for 6 months knowing that I could manage the nerves and still speak confidently and fluently. I was then ready for the AOSB Main Board in Nov. I worked hard and enjoyed the tough 3.5 day event and despite an incorrect individual planning exercise attempt I managed to pass and now have the opportunity to gain a Reserve Commission.

Hello,

I am currently considering joining as an Officer in the Reserves and too was struggling to find much information about the reserve application process.

I wondered how you have gotten on so far as i notice that this was a fair few months ago now?

D_Gun2019

Swinger
Hello @FancifulAngel,

It has been 4 months since the Main Board Pass, nothing happens quickly though :p .

I have decided that I am going to do the course in 2 week module blocks. I have found that there are three 'intakes' to the Sandhurst course:
- Jan/Feb
- May/June
- Oct/Nov

Originally I had thought to go Jan Mod A and Oct Mod B however life got in the way and I am doing the first Mod A in May then maybe Mod B - C next Jan.

Depending on you schedule you can do all eight weeks in one sitting so potential I could be finishing the course if I went in Jan.

I have the joining instruction for the Jan intake (goes into more of what to bring and wear and meal logistics - would attach but not sure of the issues of placing it on a public forum), but can't really find a syllabus other than it says it follows the 44 week course and the basics it gives on the army site.

So won't really know more until the middle of June - I do intend to keep the progress noted on here for others though, as you say there is a lack of all round specifics on the reserve officer side.

Mod A - core military skills, weapons, basic drill, shooting, first aid, navigation, etc.

Mod B - combat estimate (platoon level), theory and practical. Orders, deliberate and hasty, intro to leadership in the field.

Mod C - leadership in the field, assessment of skills therein, conduct and deliver estimates and orders in the field.

Hi All,

I submitted my reserve officer application today. I assume it’ll take a few weeks, I need to apply for my transcripts from my exam boards.

Some really useful gen on here - please keep us updated.

Thanks

J

Hi All,

I submitted my reserve officer application today. I assume it’ll take a few weeks, I need to apply for my transcripts from my exam boards.

Some really useful gen on here - please keep us updated.

Thanks

J
It is likely to take a while, especially given the COVID-19 likely impact at capita...

Good luck

Hello @FancifulAngel,

It has been 4 months since the Main Board Pass, nothing happens quickly though :p .

I have decided that I am going to do the course in 2 week module blocks. I have found that there are three 'intakes' to the Sandhurst course:
- Jan/Feb
- May/June
- Oct/Nov

Originally I had thought to go Jan Mod A and Oct Mod B however life got in the way and I am doing the first Mod A in May then maybe Mod B - C next Jan.

Depending on you schedule you can do all eight weeks in one sitting so potential I could be finishing the course if I went in Jan.

I have the joining instruction for the Jan intake (goes into more of what to bring and wear and meal logistics - would attach but not sure of the issues of placing it on a public forum), but can't really find a syllabus other than it says it follows the 44 week course and the basics it gives on the army site.

So won't really know more until the middle of June - I do intend to keep the progress noted on here for others though, as you say there is a lack of all round specifics on the reserve officer side.
What’s the latest with your app? I’m way behind you. still awaiting my selection centre to do the Alpha & Bravo Route.

D_Gun2019

Swinger
It's all on hold for the moment while covid-19 is ever present. Hoping to start the training in the new year now...

If your Officer training goes shit shaped you’ll have a fall back

That’s the plan. I have a mate doing it the Officer only route. He does the 4 sandhurst modules. If he fails RCB or any part of the process he’s out.
I am doing it soldier entry first (equivalent to the 1st two parts of officer route - I am told) and then after I pass the phase 2 training. I complete the last 2 sandhurst modules.
This means if you fail RCB or any of the last 2 stages you are still in your unit. Getting paid and training etc. Whilst you reassess or prepare to retake etc.
which route you take I think is suggested by your sponsor. Mine suggested the soldier basic training then Sandhurst module route. It made sense to me.
good luck.

D_Gun2019

Swinger
That’s the plan. I have a mate doing it the Officer only route. He does the 4 sandhurst modules. If he fails RCB or any part of the process he’s out.
I am doing it soldier entry first (equivalent to the 1st two parts of officer route - I am told) and then after I pass the phase 2 training. I complete the last 2 sandhurst modules.
This means if you fail RCB or any of the last 2 stages you are still in your unit. Getting paid and training etc. Whilst you reassess or prepare to retake etc.
which route you take I think is suggested by your sponsor. Mine suggested the soldier basic training then Sandhurst module route. It made sense to me.
good luck.
I just want to add a correct to your training route:
The soldier Phase 1 (alpha + bravo) is the equivalent of the Sandhurst/Officer Mod Alpha Soldier Phase 2 Is the specific soldier field you would go into. So you would take Mod Bravo/Charlie/Delta in turn. You can choose not to do any Alpha or Brave Phase 1 training and do Sandhurst/Officer Mod Alpha and Bravo before having to complete the Main AOSB (or RCB old name).
There seems to be a different 'interpretations' out there but the above is accurate.

And that is where the Military’s recruitment is falling down. They have outsourced its recruitment to Capita who have little knowledge as to the exact need of the service. You won’t have a single person dealing with your recruitment process, you have several. Which is why everything takes an age, you have to wait for someone to randomly select your file from a group mailbox.

Leo93

Swinger
This thread is exactly what I've been looking for. The confusion is real! I passed 'Selection' earlier this year and was meant to get attested just before this lockdown took full force. I was confused by the initial route for a reserve officer but it seems the general consensus is to do Phase 1A+B first? Then go to Sandhurst?

This thread is exactly what I've been looking for. The confusion is real! I passed 'Selection' earlier this year and was meant to get attested just before this lockdown took full force. I was confused by the initial route for a reserve officer but it seems the general consensus is to do Phase 1A+B first? Then go to Sandhurst?
Looks that way. Thats what I’m doing.
I guess it means the recruitment for the regiment looks better! As well as having the fall back if you fail main board.

Hohenidoom

Clanker
Looks that way. Thats what I’m doing.
I guess it means the recruitment for the regiment looks better! As well as having the fall back if you fail main board.
If possible you can fit A+B around the H'officer selection process; and spend some time as a trained soldier prior to going to RMAS. That experience will also make the commissioning course a little less like a jump into the deep end and bring you valuable experience of what it's like on the other side.

Latest Threads