Reserve Officer Promotion upon transfer from the Regulars

Hi all,

Firstly, just to say apologies for the intricate J1-ness of the post, and thanks for whoever can help me with this. First post on this forum (although regular peruser) and I have seen a related thread get shot down for being horrendously careerist but here goes...

I am a Captain with 5 regular OJARS currently in the process of leaving the regulars and transfering into the reserves. Had I not PVR'd I would have been eligible for first look at regular promotion to Major this month, although I obviously have not gone to the board because I am in the resettlement process with a last day of duty date set for Jan 17. I have been accepted by a reserve unit and put my paperwork in to transfer, so in mid-Jan will move onto the reserves books. Happy days...

My question is about promotion to Major in the reserves. I understand from the JSPs and other posts that you need 5 OJARs as a Captain to be eligible to promote in the reserves, but I can't find any reference as to how many of these OJARs have to be written whilst you are a reservist. In the new One Army structure do they distinguish? If they don't, then happy days and I will be eligible to promote with my 5 regular OJARs. If not, then I will either need to make sure my new unit agree to write my 16/17 OJAR based on my service Jan-May 17, or wait another year. Happy to explore either of those options, but I did just wonder if anyone knew whether regular OJARs count on the reserve beige board.

I appreciate that APC are the final arbiters on this - I just want to get an independent view before I ring my desk officer next week.

Thanks for any help in advance!

Gotteschalk

Bris

LE
Hi all,

Firstly, just to say apologies for the intricate J1-ness of the post, and thanks for whoever can help me with this. First post on this forum (although regular peruser) and I have seen a related thread get shot down for being horrendously careerist but here goes...

I am a Captain with 5 regular OJARS currently in the process of leaving the regulars and transfering into the reserves. Had I not PVR'd I would have been eligible for first look at regular promotion to Major this month, although I obviously have not gone to the board because I am in the resettlement process with a last day of duty date set for Jan 17. I have been accepted by a reserve unit and put my paperwork in to transfer, so in mid-Jan will move onto the reserves books. Happy days...

My question is about promotion to Major in the reserves. I understand from the JSPs and other posts that you need 5 OJARs as a Captain to be eligible to promote in the reserves, but I can't find any reference as to how many of these OJARs have to be written whilst you are a reservist. In the new One Army structure do they distinguish? If they don't, then happy days and I will be eligible to promote with my 5 regular OJARs. If not, then I will either need to make sure my new unit agree to write my 16/17 OJAR based on my service Jan-May 17, or wait another year. Happy to explore either of those options, but I did just wonder if anyone knew whether regular OJARs count on the reserve beige board.

I appreciate that APC are the final arbiters on this - I just want to get an independent view before I ring my desk officer next week.

Thanks for any help in advance!

Gotteschalk
While I can't help on this aspect, something else you may wish to discuss is that the 10k over 3 years is for Capt & below. If you promote, I am unsure if you will keep receiving that - one for APC to answer really.

potter

Old-Salt
You need a minimum of one OJAR as a Reservist on any form of Reserve commitment, in addition to the five you have as a Regular, to run to BeL Reserves.

There's an ABN or DIN out about it recently, but as I don't have regular DII access I can't tell you what the reference is.

That's really useful info Potter. I'll dig out the din but it sounds like what I had heard on the rumour mill.

You seem to know your stuff, so can I ask if you know if it would be possible for my new reserve unit to write my 16/17 OJAR? I appreciate that I will need 19 MTDs before May 17 to be eligible for one, but assuming I do this will the fact that I have only been in the reserves for 4 months mean I am forced to have a 'resettlement' OJAR from former Regular reporting chain - or indeed no OJAR at all? (the last two same difference by the sounds of it).

Thanks again for the wisdom!

olafthered

LE
Book Reviewer
That's really useful info Potter. I'll dig out the din but it sounds like what I had heard on the rumour mill.

You seem to know your stuff, so can I ask if you know if it would be possible for my new reserve unit to write my 16/17 OJAR? I appreciate that I will need 19 MTDs before May 17 to be eligible for one, but assuming I do this will the fact that I have only been in the reserves for 4 months mean I am forced to have a 'resettlement' OJAR from former Regular reporting chain - or indeed no OJAR at all? (the last two same difference by the sounds of it).

I would speak to your new unit, I'm due my first look at beige on the next board, and I'd suggest that your new unit should be able to do you an OJAR once you have transferred, I'd also look at doing as much as possible with them (family/civilian job etc permitting), as they need to feel happy to recommend if this report is going to get you onto the board.

If you want to chat in more detail to a reservist officer at a similar Career point (albeit all reserve, save tours) then drop me a PM.

Depends, when is your last regular report? if it's May 16 your first Res report can be a delayed 7 month report in Jul 17 which will allow you to run to BeL(R) next year. If however you are getting a close-down report in Jan 17 from the regular army, then your first report will be May 18 and you won't run to BeL(R) until Nov 18 for prom 19.

It's in your best interests for you to have a gapped reporting period to finish your regular service.

potter

Old-Salt
Depends, when is your last regular report? if it's May 16 your first Res report can be a delayed 7 month report in Jul 17 which will allow you to run to BeL(R) next year. If however you are getting a close-down report in Jan 17 from the regular army, then your first report will be May 18 and you won't run to BeL(R) until Nov 18 for prom 19.

It's in your best interests for you to have a gapped reporting period to finish your regular service.
Gotteschalk - disregard most of my PM - MindNumbing has filled the gaps that I was speculating on through lack of knowledge.

Latest Threads