reserve liability.

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by tired_chimp, Jan 27, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Mate joined in 2004, Open Engagement, left last year.

He's applying for old bill, they've asked about his reserve liabilty. He said he had none, I'm sure I've heard somewhere about it being something like 6 years. The Army website is next to useless on it.

Any definitive answer?
  2. Not sure, I stopped filling out the report form after the first two years & nothing has been said. Although I thought we were supposed to continue reporting until we finish our 22, aren't we? So I guess that would be how long our reserve liability is for?
  3. Is this any help?
  4. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

I will ask an expert tomorrow, and let you know Chapter and Verse.
  5. Retiring General Officers have reserve liability until the night before their 62nd birthday. Not sure this helps your mate though.
  6. When I joined the Fire Service, I informed Records they said it was a reserve occupation and there'fore exempt. It was fews years ago, not sure if it's changed.
  7. OldSnowy

Once they leave, a soldier has a 6 year liability in the Army Reserve during which time he has a liability to be called out for a wide range of operational tasks. (However, to-date the requirement to call out members of the Army Reserve for operations in Iraq and Afghanistan has been limited and only those who have indicated their willingness to be deployed have been called out.).

At the end of the 6 year period, (presumably in 2015), the soldier will be discharged from the Army Reserve and enter the Long Term Reserve. Individuals in the Long Term Reserve may only be recalled into service during periods of national danger, or a great emergency has arisen, or there is a direct attack on the UK. He will relinquish his Long Term Reserve liability after 18 years from leaving the regulars, ie in 2027.

If he needs a certificate to show his reserve liability, he should contact the APC TA & Reserves Div, Kentigern House, 65 Brown St, Glasgow, G2 8EX.

And that's the gen - you have a 6 year liability, and you cannot get out of it easily, if at all :)

Whoever said that ARRSE isn't informative!
  8. Sweet!

Cheers Oldsnowy.
  9. Are there still reserved occupations as gten98 said? When I joined HM Prison Service my Reserve commitment ceased.
  10. OldSnowy

Good question on 'Reserved Occupations' - but a bit of a red herring.

Whether the Prison Service accept it or not, you have a Reserve Liability. If the Army see fit to waive it, that's up to them - but all HMP can do if the Army do not is refuse to employ you. You can still be called up, whether they like it or not, unless the liability has been waived by the Army.

Prison Officers in the TA are in a similar position - it's not officially permitted, but many governors turn a blind eye. The overall question is - what is best for Society - a lot of Prisoners being poorly guarded when their Wardens get called up, or a few extra mobilised Soldiers? Most Government/political/'Official' opinion remains firmly on the side of keeping scrotes locked up...
  11. Further to that; I think you're also exempt from being called out if you're in full-time education. I think I was told something like that I was only a signature away from joining the TA (after the medical etc) - that I wouldn't be called up whilst studying.