Reserve forces AACC

Hi all,
I remember reading somewhere that the cutoff age for the reserve forces AACC was 42. However, the reserve unit which sends most recruits through is 131 CDO and they have a cutoff age advertised as 35. Does this mean that the gap between 35 and 42 is only for those with previous military service, or is there discretion for 131 (and other reserve Commando units - I think there's an RLC one in Plymouth) to take candidates over 35?
Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the reply. I was in contact with them a year or so ago, whilst just under the age cutoff, but family and work commitments picked-up and got in the way, so things didn't progress.
Now that I'm thinking about this again as things are settling down, I just thought I'd check here to see if anyone had any knowledge / experience of this before I started to bother the unit again. But as you indicate, maybe I should just go straight to them. In meantime, if anyone does have any info that would be great.

I've spoken to a mate who did the course with 131 a couple of years ago, he reckons that there was a 36 year old (ex reg) on it, that there is discretion for AR Cdo units to take older but they are frankly unlikely to do so. The pass in tests for 131 (other AR Cdo units will differ) when he joined were above those for other well known London units at the time.

I've spoken to a mate who did the course with 131 a couple of years ago, he reckons that there was a 36 year old (ex reg) on it, that there is discretion for AR Cdo units to take older but they are frankly unlikely to do so. The pass in tests for 131 (other AR Cdo units will differ) when he joined were above those for other well known London units at the time.
Cheers for the info. I know the general consensus is that such training is much more unrealistic when you hit mid-30s and over, especially because of slower recovery times, increased strains and stresses on the body etc. And of course, units like that can be very selective over who they take. But if you don't try, you don't get! Worth a try at least. There is at least one thing going for older recruits - I'm much more resiliant now than I was in my teens or twenties, and will happily put up with discomfort, pain, and being ragged about. I'm not superfit, but in reasonable shape: never had any injury and I have been training for this for about 4 or 5 years, basing my training around the published regular RMC and Para training guidelines and entry standards, which I can do. I don't use a gym, it's all outdoors. But I'm under no illusions, I know recruit training would push me to my limits and possibly break me.

Cheers for the info. I know the general consensus is that such training is much more unrealistic when you hit mid-30s and over, especially because of slower recovery times, increased strains and stresses on the body etc. And of course, units like that can be very selective over who they take. But if you don't try, you don't get! Worth a try at least. There is at least one thing going for older recruits - I'm much more resiliant now than I was in my teens or twenties, and will happily put up with discomfort, pain, and being ragged about. I'm not superfit, but in reasonable shape: never had any injury and I have been training for this for about 4 or 5 years, basing my training around the published regular RMC and Para training guidelines and entry standards, which I can do. I don't use a gym, it's all outdoors. But I'm under no illusions, I know recruit training would push me to my limits and possibly break me.
When I did my Bravo course I was in my early 30s. The fittest bloke on my course was an ex Para who had recently turned 40 something.
Just go for it mate.

When I did my Bravo course I was in my early 30s. The fittest bloke on my course was an ex Para who had recently turned 40 something.
Just go for it mate.
Cheers for that. I'll get in touch with the unit and see what happens. Obviously, there are other units I can go for if deemed too old for that one - I know there are lots of good reserve units out there, any of which I'd be lucky to join.

Latest Threads