Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Should I still apply or wait?

• Go for it!

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • Wait!

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters

Bras19

Swinger
So I am going to join reserves, but I am waiting to get my weight down first, as worried they will say no ect.
However, my friend who is around 13.5stone (not much muscle) (works on cardio 2x a week) applied, got through tests ect and meetings and passed all that.
(I’m 5ft2, 12.5st, good muscles for a girl, regular lifting job)

(Update: they passed all tests, was waiting for selection/training dates and army said they couldn’t continue and couldn’t reapply till 2020/2021, they are awaiting letter to know why they couldn’t continue)

Can you join before your fit enough?
Should I join before I’m fit enough?
Should I just wait?
Opinions?

(Sorry it’s a lot to read, I’m just worried about it now)

You may be able to visit a unit and attend training nights for pre-joiners. This could help in the meantime and they can give you hints and tips. The application process takes a while however id wait until you’re close to being fit personally

i know that. I’ve checked my bmi ect. I’m just wondering how my friend got so far at 13.5st :/
Because your friend is not 5' 2", I assume. BMI is a (not great) calculation based on height versus weight. I'm 6' 1" - at 13st I'd be solidly into the range of ideal weight.

The major issue that your selectors will look at is your fitness - when I did selection in early 2017, I was classed as over the weight limit but it was waived because I passed the fitness requirements (cardio, weightlifting) by a long way. BMI is a tool for assessing populations, not individuals.

How fast can you run a mile and half? Can you lift a 40kg bag over your head?

@theotherkindofdoctor she is 5ft4
I can do 1.5 in 14 mins which is not 100% but it’s better than when I couldn’t run two mins straight. I have to lift 45kgs at work at times so a 45kg bag above my head I can do

@theotherkindofdoctor she is 5ft4
I can do 1.5 in 14 mins which is not 100% but it’s better than when I couldn’t run two mins straight. I have to lift 45kgs at work at times so a 45kg bag above my head I can do
That's a good start. If you haven't made an application at all yet, I would go to the unit you want to join (phone them up, they'll probably ask you to come in on a Tuesday night) and put together your online application. The application process is *not* quick, so don't get discouraged. Keep working on your fitness - you're on your way - and you should be ok.